Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

02 bugeye wrx ...will need a remap.. oem ecu or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2019, 10:14 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 02 bugeye wrx ...will need a remap.. oem ecu or aftermarket?

Hi chaps I'm just a bit lost on this one.

02 wrx wagon.. the ej205 in there died... so I've got a new ej207 in and my cyl heads are being cleaned up and fitted with new gaskets. The car runs pink injectors (550cc I'm told) and I've got what appears to be aftermarket downpipe and I've purchased a decat up pipe. My turbo is a vf35 just been rebalanced too.

But now I'm looking to ecu.. I don't know if the oem ecu that's in there is capable of dealing with it all? E.g. managing boost.. fault codes from decat etc. I was told it was mapped with ecutek? From what I hear that is basically the oem ecu remapped?

In the past I've fitted three different link g4 ecu to three different skylines so I KNOW that works and I've got great AFR and tune and driveability and I LOVE that I can remap with the AFM. The prob is I really can't afford to shell out for one

So is it possible to retune the ecu with ecutek to ditch the AFM? Also can anyone recommend any other alternative ecu?

Thanks alot.. I realise I'm firing up alot of questions on here of late but I'm just going all out on my wrx I want it to run right drive well and be reliable.

Ta
Ant
Old 13 October 2019, 08:38 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Have a look at carberry on the romraider forums, might be able to do what your after, a few mappers use it afaik
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 October 2019, 08:19 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

The OEM ecu is more than capable of handling those mods (with a remap). If you are already on Ecutek, then unfortunately the ECU is now locked to ecutek maps only (which isn't a bad thing per se, but reduces the number of mappers you can use).

Personally I think you'd be insane to swap the ECU for an aftermarket ECU at the level of mods you have
Old 14 October 2019, 10:03 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

your not even on the edge of what the MAF can cope with so a maffless map is overkill at the minute. As above carberry will do maffless or maf with options for map switching, antilag and launch control so worth looking into if that's the route you want to go down.
Old 14 October 2019, 08:16 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Ah ok so the stock ecu is fairly capable then? That sounds promising.. gotta remember I'm used to skylines and they're fricking useless hahaha ! I always got tired of the stock ecu probs they had when tuned so I literally ditched them and fitted new IAT.. 4bar MAP and ditched the AFMs.. did it to 3 of them and they ran like a dream with amazing mpg from them.

My thinking for ditching the AFM and running with map speed/density was so I could put a ramair filter on & hardpipe without the AFM being in the way.. for heavy amounts of chutter lol!

All sounds like good news chaps ta!
Old 15 October 2019, 09:44 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

you'll not have any real issues with the MAF unless your trying to get way past 450hp - the stock map sensor will read to about 1.8 bar which should be tons of room (again, unless your building for mega horses). On the skylines your probably more used to adding a load of boost and leaning out the AFR so do a bit of reading and researching before applying that to the subaru engine as you'll quickly end up needing a new engine.
Old 15 October 2019, 12:34 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
you'll not have any real issues with the MAF unless your trying to get way past 450hp - the stock map sensor will read to about 1.8 bar which should be tons of room (again, unless your building for mega horses). On the skylines your probably more used to adding a load of boost and leaning out the AFR so do a bit of reading and researching before applying that to the subaru engine as you'll quickly end up needing a new engine.
cheers mate will do - good to know they're reliable then - on the skylines the MAF and pretty much any other sensor is useless lol