Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Fuel on ECUtek map - Question

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2019, 10:29 AM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel on ECUtek map - Question

So I've got my Spec-D back on the road after a couple years sitting. All smiles back on my face especially when hitting the silly pedal! This was until i realised they had demolished my local Shell garage so I now have a 35 mile drive just to get V-Power. The car has only ever been run on V-Power since its ECUtek road mapping session. Nothing drastic in the map just a fast road map on V-Power and a less aggressive one as an option.
The nearest highest RON fuel now is Tesco 99. Question to those in the know on the ECUtek is whether switching to Tesco from V-Power will cause any noticeable difference or issues. I was lead to believe if i put 97 through it at any point the ECUTek map would need to 're-learn' via a tank of V-power before giving me peak performance. No issue driving 35 miles if needed but would be nice to know if i get caught short.
Old 28 May 2019, 01:05 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DeweyAXD
So I've got my Spec-D back on the road after a couple years sitting. All smiles back on my face especially when hitting the silly pedal! This was until i realised they had demolished my local Shell garage so I now have a 35 mile drive just to get V-Power. The car has only ever been run on V-Power since its ECUtek road mapping session. Nothing drastic in the map just a fast road map on V-Power and a less aggressive one as an option.
The nearest highest RON fuel now is Tesco 99. Question to those in the know on the ECUtek is whether switching to Tesco from V-Power will cause any noticeable difference or issues. I was lead to believe if i put 97 through it at any point the ECUTek map would need to 're-learn' via a tank of V-power before giving me peak performance. No issue driving 35 miles if needed but would be nice to know if i get caught short.
no it wont learn, if you have to put as small a quantity of 97 in as you can get away with, drive it off boost and under 3500rpm and drive to a shell, full tank to the brim, drive it steady for that tank as its a partial mix, then let it drop as low as you dare and refill to the brim.

dont forget tesco 99 as well is an option.
Old 28 May 2019, 03:44 PM
RRP1STI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My sti blob is mapped for v power,however I regularly use Tesco super ul,no issues at all..iirc v power is 99.3 Ron and Tesco is 99.0,pretty sure 0.3 will make no difference for road use
tesco usually a bit cheaper aswell��
Old 28 May 2019, 04:08 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RRP1STI
My sti blob is mapped for v power,however I regularly use Tesco super ul,no issues at all..iirc v power is 99.3 Ron and Tesco is 99.0,pretty sure 0.3 will make no difference for road use
tesco usually a bit cheaper as well��
The Octane number in itself is not the most important factor , I mapped with Duncan at SRR on Aral 102 which I brought over from Germany , but I subsequently found I had to frequently use Hessol Super plus ( which is Aral 98 ) ,
thankfully both have some antiknock additives, but the power loss is really noticeable. The Map does not relearn for lower Octane , but it does pull the timing back if it see's a knock event. I would say you should
avoid this on a standard WRX build at all costs. Sti pistons are a bit better but its still playing roulette.

My latest block is forged and the build cost 4k€ and although my Mahle's will deal with a mix in of some 98 octane , but I do hate the loss of timing so much that I do carry a 102 Oktane 5 liter can around
so that I don't have to compromise. If you value your engine life the fuel cost delta is irrelevant.

Tidgy has it nailed when he notes that you can drive on the lower octane ( off boost ) , If I must , I keep under 3800 / under 0,5 bar but it can be very tricky if you live on a hill.

Old 30 May 2019, 12:46 AM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys sorry for a late to reply to this but thanks all for clarifying. I think i’ll play safe and learn to plan to enjoy the drive over and back to the Shell for now.
If I get caught short i’ll get go the Tesco 99 route. Tempting to see if I can feel the difference at all. I was also concerned about the additive element for knock issues with Tesco 99 vs V-power but sounds like I may not need to worry as much as I do.
Really painful to drive off boost for any time... I remember the 1000 mile run in time after forge work sucked.... no one likes to cage the beast