Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Open source or Ecutek

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2018, 07:07 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open source or Ecutek

Looking at having a forester sti mapped and have the option of open an open source software or ecutek software. When I was last looking at mapping open source was never mentioned or offered so what are the differences pros, cons between the two.

Cheers
Old 19 September 2018, 09:34 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Looking at having a forester sti mapped and have the option of open an open source software or ecutek software. When I was last looking at mapping open source was never mentioned or offered so what are the differences pros, cons between the two.

Cheers
Its more down to who is mapping than what software they use.

On the early newage cars carberry rom has some features that ecutek does not.

id say the launch control on carberry/opensource is better too.
Old 20 September 2018, 09:00 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Can't do Carberry on the FSTI models as the software isn't available. The FSTI cars run one of the very first drive by wire ECU's with very old software so options are very limited indeed. Not even 100% sure that EcuTek is available for it.

Had mine open source mapped and it was fine, but means you can't do turbo and car breaking features like launch control, anti-slag, flat throttle shifting etc that you can do with other software. None of those features bothered me anyhow so I got Andrew Carr to open source map it and add loads of pops and bangs to keep the teenage boy inside me happy.
Old 20 September 2018, 10:42 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

100% ecutek is available for fozzy STI's, it's my preference for them over opensource as the map switching and per gear boost control from the racerom pack comes in pretty handy in most cases but if it's only minor mods and the mapper knows what they are at then opensource should be fine.
Old 20 September 2018, 10:51 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
100% ecutek is available for fozzy STI's, it's my preference for them over opensource as the map switching and per gear boost control from the racerom pack comes in pretty handy in most cases but if it's only minor mods and the mapper knows what they are at then opensource should be fine.
Good, thanks for the confirmation. In that case yes, EcuTek over Opensource. I'd agree there too.

Can you do maffless on EcuTek?
Old 20 September 2018, 10:53 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

for most models that have racerom yes but it won't make it's way to the foresters as the ECU hardware doesn't have the space for it. If your at the stage where you *need* mafless then time to start looking at syvecs/simtek/link ECU's
Old 20 September 2018, 11:00 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Very true indeed.

Looked at Syvecs for my MY15 as the car has already had it fitted before by the previous owner, but is now back on std ECU. Holy cow that system is expensive. Looks amazing though.
Old 20 September 2018, 11:10 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

ahhh now on a '15 STI you would have speed density and if your on a MAF based tune now then you can log enough data to make a reasonably good starting point for switching over. Then add a new manifold air temp sensor and wire it into the MAF connector, few tweaks in the tables and off you go.
Old 20 September 2018, 11:31 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
ahhh now on a '15 STI you would have speed density and if your on a MAF based tune now then you can log enough data to make a reasonably good starting point for switching over. Then add a new manifold air temp sensor and wire it into the MAF connector, few tweaks in the tables and off you go.
Good to know!
Old 20 September 2018, 12:44 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Should of probably mentioned I'm not looking at going crazy. Just as it's a fresh import I wanted it mapped for UK fuel so will be fitting a rcm uprated fuel pump and Hayward and Scott decat 3" to 2.5" to maximise the return from the mapping. Have considered replacing the stock turbo (unsure of what model that is) with a used vf48 of a new age hatch or sc36/8, tdo5 16g/18g but think it'll be overkill for the stock ej255.
​​​​​​
Any advice welcome
Old 20 September 2018, 12:48 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Should of probably mentioned I'm not looking at going crazy. Just as it's a fresh import I wanted it mapped for UK fuel so will be fitting a rcm uprated fuel pump and Hayward and Scott decat 3" to 2.5" to maximise the return from the mapping. Have considered replacing the stock turbo (unsure of what model that is) with a used vf48 of a new age hatch or sc36/8, tdo5 16g/18g but think it'll be overkill for the stock ej255.
​​​​​​
Any advice welcome
Not too much difference between the VF41 standard FSTI turbo and the VF48 to be honest,. These cars make good power on the standard turbo. Exhaust, 3 port, air filter & remap. Job done.
Old 20 September 2018, 08:25 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the heads up
Old 01 October 2018, 03:09 PM
batou
Scooby Newbie

I've got a deposit down on one of these too and finding a mapper is my first pain to deal with, looking for an Ecutek as this car will just have an exhaust, fuel pump if needed and probably not much other faff during its life and simply want it setup for uk fuel really. Did you manage to find anywhere that is 1. Reputable (as in at least has some references of previous good work. 2. Still trading/exists?

I'm new to subies, but sadly not new to the pain of finding a reputable mapper, don't really care for 300+ hp so not asking for much
Old 01 October 2018, 07:13 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Just to add syvecs is not plug and play on the fsti but the link g4 is ,
Old 01 October 2018, 07:40 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by batou
I've got a deposit down on one of these too and finding a mapper is my first pain to deal with, looking for an Ecutek as this car will just have an exhaust, fuel pump if needed and probably not much other faff during its life and simply want it setup for uk fuel really. Did you manage to find anywhere that is 1. Reputable (as in at least has some references of previous good work. 2. Still trading/exists?

I'm new to subies, but sadly not new to the pain of finding a reputable mapper, don't really care for 300+ hp so not asking for much :lol1:
Hi, I'd normally have used Bob Rawle for any mapping work as that's who I've used for years but I've been away from the scene for a good few years so no idea if he is still about.

This time as the importer is down south west the closest tuner that they recommend is Engine Tuner which again back when I was last in the fold had a very good reputation so the car is going to them as it can all be done prior to me going and collecting the car.

They have suggested that for the level of tune I'm looking at which was basically a map for UK fuel that an open source map will be more than adequate and cost effective. In conversation with them we have also agreed to install a uprated fuel pump, decat downpipe, panel filter and a 3port boost solenoid so to maximise the return of the mapping..

Old 02 October 2018, 09:14 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
Just to add syvecs is not plug and play on the fsti but the link g4 is ,
I was looking at Syvecs for my MY15 sti as it's already had it fitted once. Have you seen the price of the kit???
Old 02 October 2018, 06:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
I was looking at Syvecs for my MY15 sti as it's already had it fitted once. Have you seen the price of the kit???
is it really needed though? for the price im quite interested in the link g4 or the new simtek.
they are about £1k cheaper so you have to ask yourself is the syvecs £1k better than those?
for an all out race/drag/time attack car then maybe so..........for a fast road car im not convinced
Old 02 October 2018, 07:40 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

No I haven't seen the price of the syvecs kit lol , But I have found someone decent to map my link YAYE ! 464hp 459 lbs . sorry to hijack the o p s ,
Old 03 October 2018, 08:53 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
No I haven't seen the price of the syvecs kit lol , But I have found someone decent to map my link YAYE ! 464hp 459 lbs . sorry to hijack the o p s ,
In general you'll be paying £2k just to buy the Syvecs kit.

I also agree that in most cases on a road car it's total overkill.
Old 03 October 2018, 06:14 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

In general you'll be paying £2k just to buy the Syvecs kit.

I also agree that in most cases on a road car it's total overkill.
You will never truly be happy until you get Syvecs , Remember it will hold value so you can sell it if you ever get rid of the car ? I heard Charlie saying they were working on something more affordable .
Old 11 June 2019, 03:58 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi, I'd normally have used Bob Rawle for any mapping work as that's who I've used for years but I've been away from the scene for a good few years so no idea if he is still about.

This time as the importer is down south west the closest tuner that they recommend is Engine Tuner which again back when I was last in the fold had a very good reputation so the car is going to them as it can all be done prior to me going and collecting the car.

They have suggested that for the level of tune I'm looking at which was basically a map for UK fuel that an open source map will be more than adequate and cost effective. In conversation with them we have also agreed to install a uprated fuel pump, decat downpipe, panel filter and a 3port boost solenoid so to maximise the return of the mapping..
Steve , Did you use "Engine Tuner" ? Or Bob Rawle for EcuTek and did your ReMap work meet expectations ? can you pass your recommendation.
As I'm moving back to UK Plymouth from Germany, I will need to Detune to Momentum 99 and could do with finding someone in South West.