ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Open source or Ecutek (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1056234-open-source-or-ecutek.html)

stevie1982 19 September 2018 07:07 PM

Open source or Ecutek

Looking at having a forester sti mapped and have the option of open an open source software or ecutek software. When I was last looking at mapping open source was never mentioned or offered so what are the differences pros, cons between the two.

Cheers

SmurfyBhoy 19 September 2018 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 12027476)
Looking at having a forester sti mapped and have the option of open an open source software or ecutek software. When I was last looking at mapping open source was never mentioned or offered so what are the differences pros, cons between the two.

Cheers

Its more down to who is mapping than what software they use.

On the early newage cars carberry rom has some features that ecutek does not.

id say the launch control on carberry/opensource is better too.

BrownPantsRacing 20 September 2018 09:00 AM

Can't do Carberry on the FSTI models as the software isn't available. The FSTI cars run one of the very first drive by wire ECU's with very old software so options are very limited indeed. Not even 100% sure that EcuTek is available for it.

Had mine open source mapped and it was fine, but means you can't do turbo and car breaking features like launch control, anti-slag, flat throttle shifting etc that you can do with other software. None of those features bothered me anyhow so I got Andrew Carr to open source map it and add loads of pops and bangs to keep the teenage boy inside me happy.

bludgod 20 September 2018 10:42 AM

100% ecutek is available for fozzy STI's, it's my preference for them over opensource as the map switching and per gear boost control from the racerom pack comes in pretty handy in most cases but if it's only minor mods and the mapper knows what they are at then opensource should be fine.

BrownPantsRacing 20 September 2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 12027557)
100% ecutek is available for fozzy STI's, it's my preference for them over opensource as the map switching and per gear boost control from the racerom pack comes in pretty handy in most cases but if it's only minor mods and the mapper knows what they are at then opensource should be fine.

Good, thanks for the confirmation. In that case yes, EcuTek over Opensource. I'd agree there too.

Can you do maffless on EcuTek?

bludgod 20 September 2018 10:53 AM

for most models that have racerom yes but it won't make it's way to the foresters as the ECU hardware doesn't have the space for it. If your at the stage where you *need* mafless then time to start looking at syvecs/simtek/link ECU's

BrownPantsRacing 20 September 2018 11:00 AM

Very true indeed.

Looked at Syvecs for my MY15 as the car has already had it fitted before by the previous owner, but is now back on std ECU. Holy cow that system is expensive. Looks amazing though.

bludgod 20 September 2018 11:10 AM

ahhh now on a '15 STI you would have speed density and if your on a MAF based tune now then you can log enough data to make a reasonably good starting point for switching over. Then add a new manifold air temp sensor and wire it into the MAF connector, few tweaks in the tables and off you go.

BrownPantsRacing 20 September 2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 12027566)
ahhh now on a '15 STI you would have speed density and if your on a MAF based tune now then you can log enough data to make a reasonably good starting point for switching over. Then add a new manifold air temp sensor and wire it into the MAF connector, few tweaks in the tables and off you go.

Good to know! :thumb:

stevie1982 20 September 2018 12:44 PM

Should of probably mentioned I'm not looking at going crazy. Just as it's a fresh import I wanted it mapped for UK fuel so will be fitting a rcm uprated fuel pump and Hayward and Scott decat 3" to 2.5" to maximise the return from the mapping. Have considered replacing the stock turbo (unsure of what model that is) with a used vf48 of a new age hatch or sc36/8, tdo5 16g/18g but think it'll be overkill for the stock ej255.
​​​​​​
Any advice welcome

BrownPantsRacing 20 September 2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 12027585)
Should of probably mentioned I'm not looking at going crazy. Just as it's a fresh import I wanted it mapped for UK fuel so will be fitting a rcm uprated fuel pump and Hayward and Scott decat 3" to 2.5" to maximise the return from the mapping. Have considered replacing the stock turbo (unsure of what model that is) with a used vf48 of a new age hatch or sc36/8, tdo5 16g/18g but think it'll be overkill for the stock ej255.
​​​​​​
Any advice welcome

Not too much difference between the VF41 standard FSTI turbo and the VF48 to be honest,. These cars make good power on the standard turbo. Exhaust, 3 port, air filter & remap. Job done.

stevie1982 20 September 2018 08:25 PM

Thank you for the heads up

batou 01 October 2018 03:09 PM

I've got a deposit down on one of these too and finding a mapper is my first pain to deal with, looking for an Ecutek as this car will just have an exhaust, fuel pump if needed and probably not much other faff during its life and simply want it setup for uk fuel really. Did you manage to find anywhere that is 1. Reputable (as in at least has some references of previous good work. 2. Still trading/exists?

I'm new to subies, but sadly not new to the pain of finding a reputable mapper, don't really care for 300+ hp so not asking for much :lol1:

lockheed 01 October 2018 07:13 PM

Just to add syvecs is not plug and play on the fsti but the link g4 is ,

stevie1982 01 October 2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by batou (Post 12028994)
I've got a deposit down on one of these too and finding a mapper is my first pain to deal with, looking for an Ecutek as this car will just have an exhaust, fuel pump if needed and probably not much other faff during its life and simply want it setup for uk fuel really. Did you manage to find anywhere that is 1. Reputable (as in at least has some references of previous good work. 2. Still trading/exists?

I'm new to subies, but sadly not new to the pain of finding a reputable mapper, don't really care for 300+ hp so not asking for much :lol1:

Hi, I'd normally have used Bob Rawle for any mapping work as that's who I've used for years but I've been away from the scene for a good few years so no idea if he is still about.

This time as the importer is down south west the closest tuner that they recommend is Engine Tuner which again back when I was last in the fold had a very good reputation so the car is going to them as it can all be done prior to me going and collecting the car.

They have suggested that for the level of tune I'm looking at which was basically a map for UK fuel that an open source map will be more than adequate and cost effective. In conversation with them we have also agreed to install a uprated fuel pump, decat downpipe, panel filter and a 3port boost solenoid so to maximise the return of the mapping..

BrownPantsRacing 02 October 2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by lockheed (Post 12029027)
Just to add syvecs is not plug and play on the fsti but the link g4 is ,

I was looking at Syvecs for my MY15 sti as it's already had it fitted once. Have you seen the price of the kit??? :eek2:

the shreksta 02 October 2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12029071)
I was looking at Syvecs for my MY15 sti as it's already had it fitted once. Have you seen the price of the kit??? :eek2:

is it really needed though? for the price im quite interested in the link g4 or the new simtek.
they are about £1k cheaper so you have to ask yourself is the syvecs £1k better than those?
for an all out race/drag/time attack car then maybe so..........for a fast road car im not convinced

lockheed 02 October 2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12029071)

No I haven't seen the price of the syvecs kit lol , But I have found someone decent to map my link YAYE ! 464hp 459 lbs . sorry to hijack the o p s ,

BrownPantsRacing 03 October 2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by lockheed (Post 12029156)
No I haven't seen the price of the syvecs kit lol , But I have found someone decent to map my link YAYE ! 464hp 459 lbs . sorry to hijack the o p s ,

In general you'll be paying £2k just to buy the Syvecs kit.

I also agree that in most cases on a road car it's total overkill.

lockheed 03 October 2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12029191)
In general you'll be paying £2k just to buy the Syvecs kit.

I also agree that in most cases on a road car it's total overkill.

You will never truly be happy until you get Syvecs , Remember it will hold value so you can sell it if you ever get rid of the car ? I heard Charlie saying they were working on something more affordable .

Linksfahrer 11 June 2019 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 12029030)
Hi, I'd normally have used Bob Rawle for any mapping work as that's who I've used for years but I've been away from the scene for a good few years so no idea if he is still about.

This time as the importer is down south west the closest tuner that they recommend is Engine Tuner which again back when I was last in the fold had a very good reputation so the car is going to them as it can all be done prior to me going and collecting the car.

They have suggested that for the level of tune I'm looking at which was basically a map for UK fuel that an open source map will be more than adequate and cost effective. In conversation with them we have also agreed to install a uprated fuel pump, decat downpipe, panel filter and a 3port boost solenoid so to maximise the return of the mapping..

Steve , Did you use "Engine Tuner" ? Or Bob Rawle for EcuTek and did your ReMap work meet expectations ? can you pass your recommendation.
As I'm moving back to UK Plymouth from Germany, I will need to Detune to Momentum 99 and could do with finding someone in South West.