Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Camshaft bearing help ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2018, 04:46 PM
Treebo88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft bearing help ?

Can anyone clear this up for me. This is my first rebuild on a subaru and before anyone says yes I know the risks. However I would like to give it a go so I've started looking at parts etc. Engine is almost out (kids take up most of my time lol) but it would be nice to have all the parts I need for the rebuild before I tear her down. I'll be refreshing bottom end completely .. new crank/pistons/rods etc however without taking the block apart I'm unsure if it's centre thrust or a rear thrust crank for the bearing. Is there a way too tell ? As to the year or was it random in the production line ... mine is a ej255 out of a 2005 subaru forester (has bad rod knock hence the rebuild) as for rods aswell while I'm here they all have different sizes although they all say they fit can anyone clear up the size I'm after or maybe make me a small shopping list of recommended parts.

I'd like a small remap to keep her pokey but I'm not after 400bhp so perhaps forged would be overkill for me however I'd like to keep her more reliable for the odd bit of spirited driving ;-) so a middle line would be good ?

I can't bear another Subaru being split atm as that's all I ever see... I'd love to keep another one going on the roads for a few more years. The xt is too good to split at this point ...

any help or criticism is welcome ...

thanks guys . You've been so helpful so far I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather ask for Scooby advice.
Old 17 March 2018, 11:58 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

anything after around 1997 will be a Rear Thrust block (unless some pikey has swapped it)

there are no camshaft bearings?? they run direct in the head........

we carry all rebuild / overhaul parts on the shelf in both std and uprated forms if you contact the office with your needs
Old 17 March 2018, 02:56 PM
Treebo88
Scooby Newbie

Thanks yes sorry I mean crankshaft bearings, autocorrect loves to change it every time for some reason, I shall contact you guys soon. Thanks