Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

clicking from a 2.5 impreza engine

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2017, 08:43 AM
Moosemanty
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking from a 2.5 impreza engine

I am hearing this odd clicking noise coming from the passenger side (left side when looking under the hood) of the engine. It's a 2.5 in a 2007 impreza wagon with 85000 miles. I got a quick video of it so that you guys can hear it.

I don't own the car, but I'm potentially going to buy it and I'm always scared of engine noises. I checked the codes and got back p0026 and p0029. I also can hear the timing belt tensioner (or so I believe it to be) rattle at high rpm. I'm not afraid of it needing a timing belt job, but I am scared that something could be up with the engine. I drove the car and it seems fine, but the clicking noise at idle scares me.

I appreciate any and all constructive input! I can't afford to buy a lemon right now, but an impreza wagon is everything I'm looking for in a vehicle.
Old 12 December 2017, 05:54 PM
viio
Scooby Regular

If you're in any doubt don't buy it. Even if it smells faintly of lemons then you should wait. There will be another one for you.
Old 13 December 2017, 01:02 AM
Moosemanty
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by viio
If you're in any doubt don't buy it. Even if it smells faintly of lemons then you should wait. There will be another one for you.
I know I know. I appreciate you trying to beat some sense into me. Normally I'd steer clear, but honestly I have always liked this year of impreza, especially in this specific color. Also other options for imprezas, or any other decent car that fits my current needs(mpg, carrying capacity , awd, etc..), seems very limited. I've been watching the market for a bit now and the options are pretty poor.
Also, I can get this car for an increasingly cheaper price. Its come down to a price where it's just about worth it to take the gamble. Rebuilt heads are only $500 each from rock auto.

what does the sound in the video seem like though?? My main wonder is if it is due to the bad VVT solenoid? Can the VVT advance/retard the timing enough to due damage?