Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impreza WRX popping/clicking sound.

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2017, 08:09 AM
blueypeter
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza WRX popping/clicking sound.

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for some insight to an issue that I'm having.
I have a Impreza Wrx 05 plate, I've had it for about 6 months and it started to develop a clicking/popping sound from the front (sounds like wheel areas). Immediately I had the whole driveshafts changed after being told it was the CV joints. The noise went away for about a day and then returned and I've been stumped since. The noise happens from about half lock both left and right turns at slower speeds anywhere between 5 - 20 mph. The car is fully stock as far as I'm aware. Please note after the sound came back from the first time changing the driveshafts I got another set sent and fitted and the same thing happened, so that's 2 sets of shafts and no luck, so I would find it hard to believe I would get 2 bad sets of shafts.

​​​​​​Any help appreciated.
Peter.
Old 07 June 2017, 08:45 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you had new springs/coilovers fitted recently ?. I had the same thing when I fitted coilovers, then realised that I hadn't lined the lines up correctly before fitting.
Old 07 June 2017, 08:50 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like wheel bearings, first port of call and much cheaper than cv joints! Get someone else to drive it in slow circles while you stand close by and listen. It makes it much easier to hear where the noise is coming from.
Old 07 June 2017, 09:56 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also heard of similar noises occurring when the wheel hub nut works it way loose.
Could also be related to drop links or arb bushes.
Old 07 June 2017, 10:00 AM
blueypeter
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys. As far as I know it's stock suspension, I haven't put coilovers or changed the springs myself. Wheel bearings was my next go to, I would have done it already but holding me back was the traditional checking to see if they're bad... The 12 and 6. 3 and 9 shaking of the wheel, basically they don't move and I don't hear any whining when driving normally and straight. Probably I'll look into getting the bearings and hope for the best 😁
​​​​
Old 07 June 2017, 10:22 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueypeter
Thanks for the replys. As far as I know it's stock suspension, I haven't put coilovers or changed the springs myself. Wheel bearings was my next go to, I would have done it already but holding me back was the traditional checking to see if they're bad... The 12 and 6. 3 and 9 shaking of the wheel, basically they don't move and I don't hear any whining when driving normally and straight. Probably I'll look into getting the bearings and hope for the best 😁
​​​​

Before you spend the money get someone to drive your car very slowly on full lock while you listen out of the car. A shot wheel bearing is very easy to identify when you'e outside, and you may find it's just one not both. Or neither!
Old 07 June 2017, 01:53 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

+1 for hub nut....had this a few times actually had it yesterday on a forester.
hub nut will seem tight but put a big bar on it and it will probably tighten just a nats ****.