Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

STI Secondary Air Pump Removal. Clearing CEL/DTC ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2016, 07:54 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STI Secondary Air Pump Removal. Clearing CEL/DTC ?

Hi all,

Whilst doing some work on a 2008 STI, I also removed the Secondary Air Pump mounted up front next to the Air Conditioning Pump and also the plastic pipe that leads to the two valves or solenoids mounted on top the engine. It just adds clutter to the engine bay, especially when trying to access the right hand side spark plugs.

I have not bothered to remove the solenoids themselves nor the two metal pipes that go to the heads. Firstly because I was being lazy, secondly they can be difficult to remove with the intake manifold in place and finally due to reading mixed stories about the atmospheric air temp sensor in one of the solenoids. Its removal may/may not cause poor running.

Instead, I opted to buy some blanking caps and cap off the openings where the removed plastic pipe would connect. Now, removing the air pumps electrical connector is going to throw up a CEL on the dash.

So, can this CEL be disabled with RomRaider WITHOUT the expensive Tactrix Openport 2 cable? I only have a basic OBD2 to USB cable (ELM 327 I think its called) for data logging which I will be doing soon.

Also, is there only 1 CEL/DTC to clear after removing the Air Pump?

Thanking you!

Last edited by scoober101; 20 August 2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 20 August 2016, 08:13 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by scoober101
Hi all,

Whilst doing some work on a 2008 STI, I also removed the Secondary Air Pump mounted up front next to the Air Conditioning Pump and also the plastic pipe that leads to the two valves or solenoids mounted on top the engine. It just adds clutter to the engine bay, especially when trying to access the right hand side spark plugs.

I have not bothered to remove the solenoids themselves nor the two metal pipes that go to the heads. Firstly because I was being lazy, secondly they can be difficult to remove with the intake manifold in place and finally due to reading mixed stories about the atmospheric air temp sensor in one of the solenoids. Its removal may/may not cause poor running.

Instead, I opted to buy some blanking caps and cap off the openings where the removed plastic pipe would connect. Now, removing the air pumps electrical connector is going to throw up a CEL on the dash.

So, can this CEL be disabled with RomRaider WITHOUT the expensive Tactrix Openport 2 cable? I only have a basic OBD2 to USB cable (ELM 327 I think its called) for data logging which I will be doing soon.

Also, is there only 1 CEL/DTC to clear after removing the Air Pump?

Thanking you!
No is the simple answer,
If you were planning a remap it could be done at that time,
There are a few of us with leads able to do this, what`s your location, roughly.
Old 21 August 2016, 04:52 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darn it, thanks JDM_Stig.

The car has already been remapped by the previous owner, I plan to get a mapper to check it sometime soon and see what power it is producing with the engine mods (full decat etc) as I do not know what it is currently running at.

The car is not road ready yet due to changing the clutch and a few other things.

Im in Portsmouth, Hants.

Last edited by scoober101; 21 August 2016 at 04:53 PM.