Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Manual boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2015, 04:53 PM
M19KEU
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manual boost controller

My WRX STi V2 Wagon came with an MBC which the dealer has wound back to around 5/6psi

Following on from this:

Originally Posted by M19KEU
Makes good logical sense to me. Before I plumb it back to standard do you think it would be ok to adjust it back to a bar, just in case it is masking problems. At least then I could easily turn it back down until I've resolved any issues.

I'd love to be able to get it into Track 'n' Road/Race Engine Calibration for a bit of a shakedown but their dyno is only 2 wheel
Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Turning it up to 1bar might not show the problem if there is one? Some people just fit them as its a very easy way of adding more boost,just not a safe way to do it. If yours is the v2 which I think it is then if the map sensor is stock then it will fuel cut at 1.2bar anyway as far as I know. Maybe someone fitted it because the boost solenoid is faulty or a missing restrictor pill?? I'm really no expert so before you turn it up I would post a thread asking advice because there are some top people on here who really know their stuff mate.
Any technical boost gurus care to help?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10 February 2015, 06:28 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Be interesting to see what people say on the dreaded mbc. Do they have a place on any car?
Old 11 February 2015, 09:47 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

wound back to 5/6psi means it's not doing anything for you - that's just the wastegate pressure.

Did they say why they wound it back/turned it off? Unless your in a position to have the fuel/boost levels checked then I wouldn't go "winding up" the boost as you have no way to tell if the car is leaning out until the engine shafts itself.
Old 11 February 2015, 01:47 PM
joshnosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get rid off it ASAP
they just trick the cars ECU into working wrong