Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

3 port boost solenoid mapping

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2015, 07:42 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 port boost solenoid mapping

Hi everyone.

Well I had my car remapped a few weeks ago it already has a 3 port boost solenoid fitted. My issue is a few weeks after the map i noticed the 3 port was being very loud as in ticking. So if I was to buy an uprated one such as Perrin 3 port boost solenoid and fit it would I then need to have it map tweeked ??

Cheers all Greg
Old 11 February 2015, 09:44 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

what kind of solenoid do you have currently - if it's a classic impreza one then yes you may need a teeny tiny map tweak for it. The new perrin/mac valves are stronger than the old classic 3ports so you need to be a little less aggressive with the settings.

You say yours is ticking, is it mounted with the stock rubber bolts or just hanging around or tied on to something? They can be very noisy if you don't mount them with the rubber bolts as the sound resonates through the car.
Old 11 February 2015, 06:06 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bludgod
what kind of solenoid do you have currently - if it's a classic impreza one then yes you may need a teeny tiny map tweak for it. The new perrin/mac valves are stronger than the old classic 3ports so you need to be a little less aggressive with the settings.

You say yours is ticking, is it mounted with the stock rubber bolts or just hanging around or tied on to something? They can be very noisy if you don't mount them with the rubber bolts as the sound resonates through the car.

Orite mate, well I'm not sure on what make this one is on at the moment but it is a 3 port boost solenoid. The car is a 06 jdm sti T20. It all seems to be in in place mounted with the rubbers ect one of the guys in powerstation where it was mapped swapped the rubbers around to just give it a little more clearance.

The car was then mapped all fine been driving it for a few weeks and all is good on the performance side of it. Just when I started it up the other day only when I rev it between 1000rpm to 2500rpm it seemed to do a ticking noise from the solenoid area not the engine. drove it a few miles parked up then when jumped back in it say 15mins later it had stopped doing it. It also did this the next day but on the day I was taking it to the garage to have a quick look no sign of it what so ever ( typical ) I was then pointed in the direction of the 3 port solenoid again.

Rang up powerstation today they said if I did go for the perrin 3 port I would then require a map tweak but if I was to put a new standard 3 port I wouldn't require a map tweak?

Greg
Old 11 February 2015, 06:17 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gregwill
Orite mate, well I'm not sure on what make this one is on at the moment but it is a 3 port boost solenoid. The car is a 06 jdm sti T20. It all seems to be in in place mounted with the rubbers ect one of the guys in powerstation where it was mapped swapped the rubbers around to just give it a little more clearance.

The car was then mapped all fine been driving it for a few weeks and all is good on the performance side of it. Just when I started it up the other day only when I rev it between 1000rpm to 2500rpm it seemed to do a ticking noise from the solenoid area not the engine. drove it a few miles parked up then when jumped back in it say 15mins later it had stopped doing it. It also did this the next day but on the day I was taking it to the garage to have a quick look no sign of it what so ever ( typical ) I was then pointed in the direction of the 3 port solenoid again.

Rang up powerstation today they said if I did go for the perrin 3 port I would then require a map tweak but if I was to put a new standard 3 port I wouldn't require a map tweak?

Greg
Solenoids are noted for going bad. "they start clicking"
Especially if you have a bad earth , the problem can also be caused by insufficient voltage then , the solenoid spring cannot be held down and then the contacts start to arc / coat with carbon deposits , particulary in damp enviroments. Once it starts to happen it will just get worse until you either clean the contacts or replace. Sealed units are therefore preferable as they are not so prone to damp arc. And I advise to carry a spare , then you don't need re-map if you change the type you use if it goes down.