Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

bigger injectors

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2014, 01:03 AM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bigger injectors

Hi I recently got myself a Subaru Impreza turbo 2000 It has a standard engine currently running at 220bhp I want to improve the speed starting with small bits thinking of putting bigger injectors in. What's the best solution would I need to remap etc.
Old 14 November 2014, 08:57 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

What year is it? Best thing to do is brakes first, possibly some of the handling components and then start on the engine. If yours is anything like mine was, the brakes are shyte. Get some 4 pots on the front at the very least.

To do it properly you'd need remapped. That alone will help. Then there's de-cat up and downpipes, exhaust systems, larger injectors, better turbo, the list goes on. All of which will need the map modified for.

I'm currently in a 97 Turbo 2000 with a few upgrades and over the winter I'll be fitting a TD05 turbo with 440cc injectors. It's currently about 280bhp at best. You also have to remember that the standard engine internals and gearbox won't take much more than this power for too long if you are hard on them.

Last edited by piehole1983; 14 November 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 14 November 2014, 09:37 AM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
What year is it?

Best thing to do is brakes first, possibly some of the handling components and then start on the engine. If yours is anything like mine was, the brakes are shyte. Get some 4 pots on the front at the very least.

To do it properly you'd need remapped. That alone will help. Then there's de-cat up and downpipes, exhaust systems, larger injectors, better turbo, the list goes on. All of which will need the map modified for.

I'm currently in a 97 Turbo 2000 with a few upgrades and over the winter I'll be fitting a TD05 turbo with 440cc injectors. It's currently about 280bhp at best. You also have to remember that the standard engine internals and gearbox won't take much more than his power for too long if you are hard on them.
Mine is on 00 plate as stated above lol, this all new to me, I dont really want to spend alot of money as I've just bought the car which cost me a fair bit and I gotta get clutch fixed too xx
Old 14 November 2014, 09:50 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tara-louise
Mine is on 00 plate as stated above lol, this all new to me, I dont really want to spend alot of money as I've just bought the car which cost me a fair bit and I gotta get clutch fixed too xx
Ah, I thought you meant you had bought a Turbo 2000 which is actually the model of the car as mine is a MY1997 Turbo 2000 AWD.

If you aren't wanting to spend loads then I'd just leave it as is, fix your clutch and make sure the brakes are ok. These are renowned for seized calipers. You can then save up for a few parts and a remap in the future.
Old 14 November 2014, 10:05 AM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Ah, I thought you meant you had bought a Turbo 2000 which is actually the model of the car as mine is a MY1997 Turbo 2000 AWD.

If you aren't wanting to spend loads then I'd just leave it as is, fix your clutch and make sure the brakes are ok. These are renowned for seized calipers. You can then save up for a few parts and a remap in the future.
On logbook it says for model Impreza turbo 2000 awd. So I may be mistaken im unsure on this, lol cars aren't really my thing but I got it because I've always loved subarus and it was going cheap I paid just over £1200 for her. Just got new spark plugs for her gone to put them in and realised engine is completely different spark plugs dont go in the top they at the sides so got to figure out how I'm gonna do that too lol so not a good start Aha I feel a lil silly right now. Just want to get her up too 280bhp xx
Old 14 November 2014, 10:08 AM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Shes on a x reg xx
Old 14 November 2014, 10:10 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

If you have small hands and the right tools they are ok to change. I managed it just fine. Make sure the plugs have been gapped properly, 0.7mm I believe. Have you got the correct plugs? PFR6B for a standard car should be right.

The model is Turbo 2000 but the year could be different. What's the start of the reg number?
Old 14 November 2014, 10:11 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Shes on a x reg xx
So it is year 2000 maybe 01 then
Old 14 November 2014, 10:12 AM
bigsigh
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bigger injectors wont make the car faster, they will simply provide the ability to supply more fuel. if your turbo is standard it is unlikely to really trouble the std. injectors too much anyway. that money could likely be better spend on other mods before injectors became a limiting factor.
Old 14 November 2014, 10:13 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsigh
bigger injectors wont make the car faster, they will simply provide the ability to supply more fuel. if your turbo is standard it is unlikely to really trouble the std. injectors too much anyway. that money could likely be better spend on other mods before injectors became a limiting factor.
Well said, plus they'd need mapped anyway! It's a pointless upgrade unless your going for a bigger blower.
Old 14 November 2014, 10:23 AM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Well said, plus they'd need mapped anyway! It's a pointless upgrade unless your going for a bigger blower.
I will bare all this info in mind. Gonna start with up\down pipes etc. Then go from there. Just wanna do minor tweaks. But do I need to get it remapped everytime I add something onto her? Xx
Old 14 November 2014, 10:32 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I will bare all this info in mind. Gonna start with up\down pipes etc. Then go from there. Just wanna do minor tweaks. But do I need to get it remapped everytime I add something onto her? Xx
Maybe not all the time but the best advice I could give is do everything at once. You'll find with de-cat pipes that the turbo will spool faster than the map can react to it and therefore would need the map adjusted. I had that problem.
Old 14 November 2014, 10:45 AM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Maybe not all the time but the best advice I could give is do everything at once. You'll find with de-cat pipes that the turbo will spool faster than the map can react to it and therefore would need the map adjusted. I had that problem.
Wicked thanks for ur help guys. Ull probs see alot from me on this site lol, thanks again, xx
Old 14 November 2014, 10:46 AM
bigsigh
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as piehole says, gather the cash , buy the bits, then fit and map in one go to see the best and safest difference.

realistically the car more than likely wont show any negative signs from the small changes you are considering , but there also wont be any massive gains as the ECU will simply adapt its control to maintain the parameters its programmed to achieve.

What you wanna do is basically
allow it breathe more freely, so get air in , and away from the car more efficiently
so quality panel filter and full decat the exhaust.

then provide it with the fuel it needs, so ensure the fuel pump is up to the job and consider a walbro or the likes if not.

Then reconfigure the ECU to take these changes into account and possibly increase the boost a little also - a remap.

this should see you at the late 200's early 300's

then you can consider looking at a bigger turbo , which will require yet more fuel (bigger injectors) and more cold air (look at intercooler options) , and then of course you will be getting into the sort of power range where you will start breaking other stuff like clutches and gearboxes
Old 14 November 2014, 11:44 AM
Lunchmoney
Scooby Regular

If you are considering a decat then please take into account emissions test come MOT time. It will likley fail. There are ways around this, one is to keep the original exhaust and swap them around at MOT.
Old 14 November 2014, 03:36 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney
If you are considering a decat then please take into account emissions test come MOT time. It will likley fail. There are ways around this, one is to keep the original exhaust and swap them around at MOT.
Very important point, keep the old exhaust system for MOT!
Old 14 November 2014, 08:10 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Very important point, keep the old exhaust system for MOT!

now that I can say I do actually know. Yay go me. Lol. Xxx
Old 14 November 2014, 08:33 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Mine has passed MOT twice with a Nur Spec R and no cats
Old 14 November 2014, 09:43 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Do u think I could put a Subaru Impreza turbo classic: TD05 top entry turbo charger part no: 14412 AA090 onto my car, xxx
Old 14 November 2014, 09:44 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's what I'm doing. It'll need to be front entry though.
Old 14 November 2014, 09:53 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's what I'm doing. It'll need to be front entry though.

wicked ill check that out, somehow changed from phn site to computer site and cant get it bk, dont like the format lol, not having the best of days xx
Old 14 November 2014, 09:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

best advice is pop over and speak to engine tuner, their not a millions miles away and will be able to advise best route so you dopn't go down the wrong path.
Old 14 November 2014, 09:59 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
best advice is pop over and speak to engine tuner, their not a millions miles away and will be able to advise best route so you dopn't go down the wrong path.
Good idea because the mods you seem to want to do will all require a remap. Still no mention of wanting to do the brakes though!
Old 14 November 2014, 10:01 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

My mates looking at car next week. Just wanted to know if I could put the td05 turbo on, as I'm not exactly sure what my current turbo is. A mate said its a standard one but that doesn't really help lol,. You've been a great help today, thanks again, xx
Old 14 November 2014, 10:03 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

theres different vesions of a td05, some will fit, some wont. its also not as simple as just strapping a bigger turbo to it and off you go, a good tuner is well worth the cost for your pride and joy
Old 14 November 2014, 10:05 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

Good idea because the mods you seem to want to do will all require a remap. Still no mention of wanting to do the brakes though!
Brakes have already been done sweetheart!
Old 14 November 2014, 10:08 PM
tara-louise
Scooby Regular

theres different vesions of a td05, some will fit, some wont. its also not as simple as just strapping a bigger turbo to it and off you go, a good tuner is well worth the cost for your pride and joy
I'll do my research seems best way toward lol thanks guys and girls if any here lol xx
Old 14 November 2014, 10:09 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Standard turbo on your car will be a TD04 just like mine
Old 14 November 2014, 10:11 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Brakes have already been done sweetheart!
Cool, what did you go for?