Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ESL Motorsports pack?

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2014, 08:50 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESL Motorsports pack?

The pack consists of " Launch Control, Anti Lag, FlatShift and Traction Control"

Can anyone tell me how each one is integrated and operated please?

Anti-lag uses the ISCV I believe and I understand its opertaion, but is it apllied to both maps and do you have a physical switch to turn it on and off?

Launch control - Does this use a momentary push button to operate?

Flat Shift - How does the ecu know you are shifting? Is there an additional switch required on the clutch pedal?

Traction control - Again, how does the ecu determine wheel slip? I would assume one way would be to monitor abs sensors, which I dont have.

Cheers for any help,

Wayne.
Old 29 April 2014, 09:32 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

I would imagine t/c will use the wheel speed sensors so as you say cars without abs could be a problem ?
Flat shift would require a brake light type switch fitting to the clutch pedal.
I would imagine that launch control would work off the neutral position switch and could be set for a single map and the same with a/l.could be wired to a toggle switch.
Sure Andy will confirm.

Tim
Old 29 April 2014, 09:45 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

HI Wayne

Anti-lag uses the ISCV I believe and I understand its opertaion, but is it apllied to both maps and do you have a physical switch to turn it on and off?

- You can use the ICV (easiest on a road car) or a throttle jacker by choke cable or solenoid switch for more air in a motorsport application. You can add a physical switch to turn it on and off. Any motorsport function can be assigned to a range of spare ECU inputs. The base map comes with sensible defaults. It can also be turned on and off in software.

- LC is armed when vehicle speed=0. You set the LC vehicle disarm speed.

Flat Shift - How does the ecu know you are shifting? Is there an additional switch required on the clutch pedal?

- Yes, a brake switch is easiest on the clutch pedal, the bracket is already there.

Traction control - Again, how does the ecu determine wheel slip? I would assume one way would be to monitor abs sensors, which I dont have.

- Rising engine speed limit rate, effectively a torque control.
Old 29 April 2014, 09:55 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Answered some questions for me too. Thanks!

Got another one, can I personally assign a function to a spare ECU input using the ESL software? I refer to the anti lag in this case. Or has one been assigned for it already and it just needs wired?
Old 29 April 2014, 10:11 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Hi Colin.

Yes, any function can be assigned to any spare input using software. There is also a switch inversion mask if required, depending on the switch type.

Some people like LC to be always on as you unlikely to just stand on the throttle with he clutch down without moving for any other reason than a launch. TC is considered part of LC and is assigned the same switch mask.

ALS tends to be always on a switch as pops and bangs aren't always appropriate.

By default, ALS and LC (+TC) are assigned to a particular input and the clutch switch to another. If no switches are present, the systems are all off, though they can be turned on permanently in software if required.

HTH
Old 29 April 2014, 10:34 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy,

Would I be right in saying that the car can be driven normally (if you can call it that!) with ALS enabled all the time and it doesn't need to be triggered by anything other than a mechanical switch?

LC can be triggered by installing the additional switch to the clutch, holding the clutch down and holding full throttle? Then TC will automatically do it's stuff after the launch?

Sounds excellent to me!

Have you got a new version of you installation/usage manual that explains these functions? That'll save me boiling your head lol
Old 29 April 2014, 10:36 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Andy, PM me the return address for me to send the ecu to you please.
Old 29 April 2014, 10:42 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
Thanks Andy,

Would I be right in saying that the car can be driven normally (if you can call it that!) with ALS enabled all the time and it doesn't need to be triggered by anything other than a mechanical switch?

LC can be triggered by installing the additional switch to the clutch, holding the clutch down and holding full throttle? Then TC will automatically do it's stuff after the launch?

Sounds excellent to me!

Have you got a new version of you installation/usage manual that explains these functions? That'll save me boiling your head lol
Yes, you can drive it around normally and the ALS is on or off at the flick of a switch. When off, the car drives as normal.

LC doesn't need a clutch switch, is triggered by the vehicle speed sensor.

The TC ramp comes in after the LC is disarmed, although unless you are running 600hp or 165 section tyres it may not be required, it's only there for repeatability and the traction limited. It might well get you the best wet weather launch available. I used it int he snow last year, which meant I moved slowly forward instead of sitting there spinning all 4 wheels lol.

I'm writing the manual as we speak but stopped to answer the questions ahahah
Old 29 April 2014, 10:43 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Wayne, yhm.
Old 29 April 2014, 10:49 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I look forward to the snow then (and your manual) cos I sure as hell don't have 600bhp lol!

Anyway, get off this and keep writing!
Old 29 April 2014, 11:01 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Enough for tonight I've still got a shedload of ECUs to prep for tomorrow. Sleeps overrated anyway.
Old 30 April 2014, 12:37 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Slight hijack. These spare inputs could be used to switch maps while the engine is running?!?
Old 30 April 2014, 08:23 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Hi Dan, that was the next thing on the list, but didn't make it into the current build. That is the plan though.
Old 30 April 2014, 11:12 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
HI Wayne

- You can use the ICV (easiest on a road car) or a throttle jacker by choke cable or solenoid switch for more air in a motorsport application. You can add a physical switch to turn it on and off. Any motorsport function can be assigned to a range of spare ECU inputs. The base map comes with sensible defaults. It can also be turned on and off in software.

- LC is armed when vehicle speed=0. You set the LC vehicle disarm speed.

- Yes, a brake switch is easiest on the clutch pedal, the bracket is already there.

- Rising engine speed limit rate, effectively a torque control.
Is the motorsports pack available for the 4 plug 92-96 ecu?
Old 30 April 2014, 12:04 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Not yet, we are finishing 99/00 first.
Old 30 April 2014, 11:59 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dmacnz
Slight hijack. These spare inputs could be used to switch maps while the engine is running?!?
Other than having 2 boost profiles, for the same fuel, what does this help. I'm only asking not criticising as my setup and situation may be totally different to another.

I run 2 maps, 1 for 95 Ron and low boost and the other for 99 Ron and high boost.
Old 01 May 2014, 09:57 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Fair point, I think it depends what the two maps are used for.

For most applications (different fuels, valet mode, towing map, etc) a switch is probably more for convenience, but has the danger of being switched inadvertently.

If it was just a simple high/low boost map then a switch could be handy, but there is always the question of what to do with the learned data.
Old 03 May 2014, 02:05 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Other than having 2 boost profiles, for the same fuel, what does this help. I'm only asking not criticising as my setup and situation may be totally different to another.

I run 2 maps, 1 for 95 Ron and low boost and the other for 99 Ron and high boost.
I just installed water meth injection! So be nice to swap between two maps on the move.
A 2 pole switch could turn on my injection controller and swap maps!
Old 03 May 2014, 09:57 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

We might be able to trigger it with some configurable IO Dan. I will sort 92/6 out for you ASAP. You got the sequential box yet?
Old 03 May 2014, 10:31 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

We might be able to trigger it with some configurable IO Dan. I will sort 92/6 out for you ASAP. You got the sequential box yet?
6 speed on order. Then seq going in the mix! If I can get my head around it!!!
Old 03 May 2014, 11:40 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Nice. Can I have a go in your other mode of transport sometime?
Old 18 May 2014, 03:15 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Ok, got the MS upgrade, Cheers Andy for that!

I want to use pins B135-13 and B136-18 for my LC/TC and ALS switches. These already have wiring to them, so do I just tap into that wire and switch it to ground?

What were these 2 pins intended for on the Sti if the wiring is already there?
Old 19 May 2014, 10:04 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Hi Wayne, that's right, instructions here:

http://www.enduringsolutions.com/Motorsport.pdf

Each ECU has at least 2 spare inputs, related to things like Auto trans inputs etc.

LC doesnt need to be switched really, ALS deffo does, you need a brake switch on the clutch for flatshift.

Cheers

Andy
Old 19 May 2014, 10:05 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

So the two wires I chose can be tapped into and used?
Old 19 May 2014, 10:12 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Yes. 75 ECU?
Old 19 May 2014, 10:49 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

No 6s
Old 19 May 2014, 11:02 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

It set up by default as B135 pin 11 then as per the first paragraph of

although you can assign any function to any spare input.
Old 19 May 2014, 09:09 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

It set up by default as B135 pin 11 then as per the first paragraph of

although you can assign any function to any spare input.
So Mr Andy "rtfm" Stevens, are you saying that grounding b135 pin 11 switches on all motorsport functions that need a switch? If that is the case then surely lc/tc is only on when als is on?

I suppose from that point of view then I could switch lc/tc on permanently in the ecu anyway. But, where's the fun in that. If it's possible to assign another pin to a switch then I'm the sort of person that just has to do just that.

Tried the als the other day and its good even though I get very little lag on the vf23 anyway. I was wondering if this could be set to only switch on after a certain vehicle speed. Is there any point of it being activated on stationary idle?

Great work though! Cant believe I nearly stayed Pfc.

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 19 May 2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 19 May 2014, 10:27 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

It's all controlled by the switch masks. 0 is always off, 128 is always on, and the table of switch inputs on p.2. assign it to a spare ECU input. I set the default image up to switch everything on and off on B135 pin 11.

LC might as well always be on as when do you ever sit with the car stationary and the throttle pinned down? But you can add it to a switch as well if you prefer.

ALS doesn't have a speed based rule, I'm not sure why you would want to? 90% of people want it for the noise rather than competition. You could use reinjection to turn it on and off for particular engine speeds if you wanted.

It all worked well on our demo car. 1.6s 60ft on 205 section tyres at Pod was nice
Old 23 May 2014, 07:48 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Manged to swap the switch masks around and have als and tc on separate switches. Just need to fit my clutch switch for fs, but to be fair I think im going to fit a stronger box and clutch before tracking the car ahd using it.

Quick Reply: ESL Motorsports pack?