Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Turbo classic rear end keeps sliding out....why?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2008, 10:35 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo classic rear end keeps sliding out....why?!?

Hey ppl, on my car, sometimes, only in wet, and when im going slow...(not that i go fast round corners in the wet anyway i hate wet!) but always when turning right, either round roundabout or turning into my local car park today (also its a right turn)

Now why does it do this?!?!? i always thought from very young, that scoobies stick like stink everywhere in wet/whatever conditions all the time, but this really does my head in sometimes. its happened infront of police before and they did pull me over asking why i was drifting round the roundabout...which i then replied theres something up with my car when turning right, and to ALSO check the video playback and see how fast i was actually going...which then shut them up. But still, it makes me worry

is there something wrong with suspension?? wheels? tyre? setup?

The car is standard apart from exhaust and dump valve, which i dont think would be affecting the steering, so its not lowered or anything, no strut braces, tyres all four are toyo proxies which are in good condition, two brand new only few months old, i dont **** about with the car etc, so no bald spots on tyres or anything, everything looks normal!!

Anyone shed some light on my problem? maybe ive missed something

Ash
Old 03 June 2008, 10:55 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

it could be down to worn shocks,dampers, mounts anti roll bars diff or may be a bent chassie.has car ben involved in an accident? i have a type r and its caught me out a few times but i think thats down to me owning a lot of front wheel drive cars and not driving the car enuff therfore im having to change my driving style. to be honest im no mechanic so it would be nice if more people experienced a similar thing may be they can share how they delt with it.
Old 04 June 2008, 12:04 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

im gonna have to have it looked at now uve mentiond maybe worn dampers etc. may just be worth going out buying spanking new aftermarket suspension then i know tis brand new... only thing that made me say this, was cuz i was racing an newish shape sti in the wet recently, and i bottled it going round the roundabout any quicker than 40 (lol) and he done it alot quicker...so maybe i thought something wrong with my car

cheers for your insight though, Ash
Old 04 June 2008, 12:05 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

ooh ps nah no accidents, car was bought off an old bloke who never ragged it from new proper careful bloke, when i bought it off him, he made me sit on his sofa for fourty minutes while he lectured me about safety and driving it responibly due to the power of the car i was bout to drive home in!, lol dont blame him im only 23 bless me, lol

Ash
Old 04 June 2008, 12:52 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

prob down to a worn bush or a bad wheel alignment. you could try getting the alignment set up, would cost around a hundred but its well worth it before you go buying a new suspension set up. plus if they get the car on a ramp to adjust tracking etc then they may be able to see something that is worn/damaged.

Old 04 June 2008, 10:28 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

check the rear ARB droplinks, if one of them has snapped (and it might be the left hand one as you have problems when turning right )then this will cause you no end of problems, you will be able to see it straight away if you look under the rear of the car and look and the ends of the ARB, it should be a C shaped lump of plastic connecting the ARB to the suspension arm.
Old 04 June 2008, 01:16 PM
andykaz23
Scooby Regular

I was getting oversteer when going round tight right hand bends at speed. Closer inspection revealed a leaking rear left shock. Since replacing the rear pair and getting an alignment done it has seemed far less nervous.
Old 04 June 2008, 03:07 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys will get all that checked out
Old 05 June 2008, 12:09 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Yeah its worth checking as much as you can. Seriously though there are so many things that could be causing it, from a sticking brake, worn bearing, dodge drive shaft, shocks, diff, etc.

As for awd gripping better - not true. They are subject to the same lateral forces and limitations of friction as a 2wd vehicle. However because they are AWD they have more traction. Under the correct application this additional traction can be used to generate more grip.
Old 05 June 2008, 03:56 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Yeah its worth checking as much as you can. Seriously though there are so many things that could be causing it, from a sticking brake, worn bearing, dodge drive shaft, shocks, diff, etc.

As for awd gripping better - not true. They are subject to the same lateral forces and limitations of friction as a 2wd vehicle. However because they are AWD they have more traction. Under the correct application this additional traction can be used to generate more grip.
Ah nice one thanks
Old 05 June 2008, 10:57 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
check the rear ARB droplinks, if one of them has snapped (and it might be the left hand one as you have problems when turning right )then this will cause you no end of problems, you will be able to see it straight away if you look under the rear of the car and look and the ends of the ARB, it should be a C shaped lump of plastic connecting the ARB to the suspension arm.

Not true. If one snaps you effectively have no rear anti roll bar, period.
Old 06 June 2008, 01:33 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

ah...but the first car i had an xr3i, and the right one snapped on that, was still driveable and not noticeable at first, until it properly went CLUNK! never feared for my safety so much in my life, lol. Also same happened to my golf gti, but i actually crashed that into a roundabout in the wet, still driveable, but bent the axle aswell that much, that if u looked at my car driving from behind, the rear of the car was slightly to the left of the front of the car...sounds strange but was very funny looking at it...the diagonally driving car, lol

Ash
Old 15 September 2008, 04:57 PM
masterbates1
Scooby Regular

Are the tyres all the same make, if you have odd ones or cheap this will cause traction problems.
Old 15 September 2008, 07:54 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read post 1 closer
Old 25 September 2008, 03:10 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004
ah...but the first car i had an xr3i, and the right one snapped on that, was still driveable and not noticeable at first, until it properly went CLUNK! never feared for my safety so much in my life, lol. Also same happened to my golf gti, but i actually crashed that into a roundabout in the wet, still driveable, but bent the axle aswell that much, that if u looked at my car driving from behind, the rear of the car was slightly to the left of the front of the car...sounds strange but was very funny looking at it...the diagonally driving car, lol

Ash
No XR3i had a rear ARB!

Simon
Old 08 November 2008, 10:30 AM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

He probly ment the rear link that runs to the rear hub i snapped one on my 3i cabs and it stepped left every time i braked
Old 09 November 2008, 05:12 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

god this is an old one of mine, lol

Originally Posted by BURTON
He probly ment the rear link that runs to the rear hub i snapped one on my 3i cabs and it stepped left every time i braked
yes i apologise that is what i meant, they were always snapping?! very scarey when ur at a high speed (50+) and u hear it snap, you feel like bambi on skates.

dunno why the 3i's prone to that....happened in both of the ones i had

Old 11 November 2008, 03:06 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

I vote for a clunked rear wheel toeing out.
Old 11 November 2008, 12:13 PM
c-o-l-e
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem when I first got my classic, the rear 2 tyres were made by Fullrun along with the front right, the front left was some other make (can't remeber which).
The Fullrun tyres were like new but down right dangerous in the wet, so basically mine spun out at the back while one of the fronts kept the front in shape, had it slide out at as slow as 10mph on a tight roundabout.
Old 11 November 2008, 02:04 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

fullrun tyres should be banned i've seen loads of them with blistered sidewalls.... cheap tyres = false economy !!!
Old 18 November 2008, 01:13 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004
dunno why the 3i's prone to that....happened in both of the ones i had
How did you manage that, my mkIII (not 3i though) got to 160,000 miles (I put on 100,000) with no probs at all, and 9" RST drums so more braking to boot!

Simon
Old 18 November 2008, 01:16 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

I dunno, didnt even give the cars rough driving either!