ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Driving Dynamics (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/)
-   -   Turbo classic rear end keeps sliding out....why?!? (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/691804-turbo-classic-rear-end-keeps-sliding-out-why.html)

ash002004 03 June 2008 10:35 PM

Turbo classic rear end keeps sliding out....why?!?

Hey ppl, on my car, sometimes, only in wet, and when im going slow...(not that i go fast round corners in the wet anyway i hate wet!) but always when turning right, either round roundabout or turning into my local car park today (also its a right turn)

Now why does it do this?!?!? i always thought from very young, that scoobies stick like stink everywhere in wet/whatever conditions all the time, but this really does my head in sometimes. its happened infront of police before and they did pull me over asking why i was drifting round the roundabout...which i then replied theres something up with my car when turning right, and to ALSO check the video playback and see how fast i was actually going...which then shut them up. But still, it makes me worry

is there something wrong with suspension?? wheels? tyre? setup?

The car is standard apart from exhaust and dump valve, which i dont think would be affecting the steering, so its not lowered or anything, no strut braces, tyres all four are toyo proxies which are in good condition, two brand new only few months old, i dont piss about with the car etc, so no bald spots on tyres or anything, everything looks normal!!

Anyone shed some light on my problem? maybe ive missed something :(

Ash

Mus 03 June 2008 10:55 PM

it could be down to worn shocks,dampers, mounts anti roll bars diff or may be a bent chassie.has car ben involved in an accident? i have a type r and its caught me out a few times but i think thats down to me owning a lot of front wheel drive cars and not driving the car enuff therfore im having to change my driving style. to be honest im no mechanic so it would be nice if more people experienced a similar thing may be they can share how they delt with it.

ash002004 04 June 2008 12:04 AM

im gonna have to have it looked at now uve mentiond maybe worn dampers etc. may just be worth going out buying spanking new aftermarket suspension then i know tis brand new... only thing that made me say this, was cuz i was racing an newish shape sti in the wet recently, and i bottled it going round the roundabout any quicker than 40 (lol) and he done it alot quicker...so maybe i thought something wrong with my car

cheers for your insight though, :) Ash

ash002004 04 June 2008 12:05 AM

ooh ps nah no accidents, car was bought off an old bloke who never ragged it from new ;) proper careful bloke, when i bought it off him, he made me sit on his sofa for fourty minutes while he lectured me about safety and driving it responibly due to the power of the car i was bout to drive home in!, lol dont blame him im only 23 bless me, lol

Ash

subaruturbo_18 04 June 2008 12:52 AM

prob down to a worn bush or a bad wheel alignment. you could try getting the alignment set up, would cost around a hundred but its well worth it before you go buying a new suspension set up. plus if they get the car on a ramp to adjust tracking etc then they may be able to see something that is worn/damaged.

:thumb:

scoobysmiff 04 June 2008 10:28 AM

check the rear ARB droplinks, if one of them has snapped (and it might be the left hand one as you have problems when turning right )then this will cause you no end of problems, you will be able to see it straight away if you look under the rear of the car and look and the ends of the ARB, it should be a C shaped lump of plastic connecting the ARB to the suspension arm.

andykaz23 04 June 2008 01:16 PM

I was getting oversteer when going round tight right hand bends at speed. Closer inspection revealed a leaking rear left shock. Since replacing the rear pair and getting an alignment done it has seemed far less nervous.

ash002004 04 June 2008 03:07 PM

Thanks guys will get all that checked out :)

300bhp/ton 05 June 2008 12:09 PM

Yeah its worth checking as much as you can. Seriously though there are so many things that could be causing it, from a sticking brake, worn bearing, dodge drive shaft, shocks, diff, etc.

As for awd gripping better - not true. They are subject to the same lateral forces and limitations of friction as a 2wd vehicle. However because they are AWD they have more traction. Under the correct application this additional traction can be used to generate more grip.

ash002004 05 June 2008 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton (Post 7920609)
Yeah its worth checking as much as you can. Seriously though there are so many things that could be causing it, from a sticking brake, worn bearing, dodge drive shaft, shocks, diff, etc.

As for awd gripping better - not true. They are subject to the same lateral forces and limitations of friction as a 2wd vehicle. However because they are AWD they have more traction. Under the correct application this additional traction can be used to generate more grip.

Ah nice one thanks :)

172sport 05 June 2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff (Post 7917779)
check the rear ARB droplinks, if one of them has snapped (and it might be the left hand one as you have problems when turning right )then this will cause you no end of problems, you will be able to see it straight away if you look under the rear of the car and look and the ends of the ARB, it should be a C shaped lump of plastic connecting the ARB to the suspension arm.

Not true. If one snaps you effectively have no rear anti roll bar, period.

ash002004 06 June 2008 01:33 PM

ah...but the first car i had an xr3i, and the right one snapped on that, was still driveable and not noticeable at first, until it properly went CLUNK! never feared for my safety so much in my life, lol. Also same happened to my golf gti, but i actually crashed that into a roundabout in the wet, still driveable, but bent the axle aswell that much, that if u looked at my car driving from behind, the rear of the car was slightly to the left of the front of the car...sounds strange but was very funny looking at it...the diagonally driving car, lol

Ash

masterbates1 15 September 2008 04:57 PM

Are the tyres all the same make, if you have odd ones or cheap this will cause traction problems.

Brun 15 September 2008 07:54 PM

Read post 1 closer ;)

The rookie 25 September 2008 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ash002004 (Post 7923553)
ah...but the first car i had an xr3i, and the right one snapped on that, was still driveable and not noticeable at first, until it properly went CLUNK! never feared for my safety so much in my life, lol. Also same happened to my golf gti, but i actually crashed that into a roundabout in the wet, still driveable, but bent the axle aswell that much, that if u looked at my car driving from behind, the rear of the car was slightly to the left of the front of the car...sounds strange but was very funny looking at it...the diagonally driving car, lol

Ash

No XR3i had a rear ARB!

Simon

BURTON 08 November 2008 10:30 AM

He probly ment the rear link that runs to the rear hub i snapped one on my 3i cabs and it stepped left every time i braked

ash002004 09 November 2008 05:12 AM

god this is an old one of mine, lol

Originally Posted by BURTON (Post 8253237)
He probly ment the rear link that runs to the rear hub i snapped one on my 3i cabs and it stepped left every time i braked

yes i apologise that is what i meant, they were always snapping?! very scarey when ur at a high speed (50+) and u hear it snap, you feel like bambi on skates.

dunno why the 3i's prone to that....happened in both of the ones i had

:thumb:

tath 11 November 2008 03:06 AM

I vote for a clunked rear wheel toeing out.

c-o-l-e 11 November 2008 12:13 PM

I had the same problem when I first got my classic, the rear 2 tyres were made by Fullrun along with the front right, the front left was some other make (can't remeber which).
The Fullrun tyres were like new but down right dangerous in the wet, so basically mine spun out at the back while one of the fronts kept the front in shape, had it slide out at as slow as 10mph on a tight roundabout.

WRX_Dazza 11 November 2008 02:04 PM

fullrun tyres should be banned i've seen loads of them with blistered sidewalls.... cheap tyres = false economy !!! :)

The rookie 18 November 2008 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ash002004 (Post 8255206)
dunno why the 3i's prone to that....happened in both of the ones i had

How did you manage that, my mkIII (not 3i though) got to 160,000 miles (I put on 100,000) with no probs at all, and 9" RST drums so more braking to boot!

Simon

ash002004 18 November 2008 01:16 PM

I dunno, didnt even give the cars rough driving either!