Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Lift off torque-steer, front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2008, 02:03 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift off torque-steer, front wheels?

Only had my Litchfield Spec C one day & loving every minute of it, so excuse me for my questions!

I am quite sure that this is a charachteristic of the Scooby mainly to do with suspension type & the anount of power being displaced. But I have found that when putting my foot down averagley to hard - giving it a bit of beans, there is a certain amount of front wheel torque or over steer. This can require a very slight correction on steering but mainly Iv been leaving alone & let things settle rather than trying small opposite lock & get into more problems!
This is not a case of rear end stepping round or anything, just under power the front end raising up & steering subsequently going light & front end not planted but aloof.

This I imagine is a normal scooby trait, but to correct it am I looking at e.g a Litchfield Type 20 package with droplinks/anti roll bars etc or would just a set of Eibcah springs do the job? Or maybe an anti lift kit which iv read a bit about but not 100% sure how it will affect this?

Any help appreciated! Maybe I just have to get used to the new driving style & the huge power the turbo delivers all at once!!

Last edited by rickya; 20 March 2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 20 March 2008, 03:45 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rickya if your having that trait with the car it will be transformed with the type 20 handling kit if you do a search you will find plenty of appraisals of this handling package.
Old 21 March 2008, 10:24 AM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you mean UNDERSTEER???
..if not, then I'm confused
Old 21 March 2008, 10:38 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobian
Not understeer but torque steer/oversteer. When accelerating hard the weight shifts to the back wheels, the front raises up slightly losing traction at frnt end, steering becomes light & tendencey move left or right slightly & loses front end traction a little.??
Old 22 March 2008, 09:21 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Question

How have you got the dccd set..?
Old 23 March 2008, 09:09 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fit an alk, it's a known scooby trait
Old 23 March 2008, 12:17 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Fit an alk, it's a known scooby trait
I think ur right mate
Old 23 March 2008, 12:32 PM
willswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobian
I'm with you, doesn't sound like torque steer or oversteer to me

But agree with advice given
Old 29 March 2008, 09:06 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I think I know what the OP means now.

I managed to emulate the effect while messing around with my DCCD control today.

Went out to have some wet weather fun and get a bit more climatised with the DCCD control. Drove around with 2nd green light for most of the journey, got to the empty roads where I wanted to test out the DCCD and then set the dial forward until the first orange light came on.

Went through a few sweeping bends, some straights etc and I could definitely feel the front wheels gripping very hard, almost tramlining as they were pulling the car in their direction of travel.

Held on to the steering wheel and just kept giving throttle input (the 4wd is only affective when your actually putting power through them), as I came out of a sweeping right to left hander I felt the front wheels bite really hard into the road and just grip through.

Felt very much like torque steer as found on a fwd car, as if suddenly more power started shifting to the front wheels, I just fed in more power and then came out laughing at the other end with the amount of grip I had just experienced.

I think the best thing to do is to come off the throttle gently, no brakes, and start feeding in the throttle gently again which should apply the power through the wheels, let the car grip and get a little brave to let the car power through gently and use the grip to pull the car round.
Old 25 June 2008, 11:52 AM
T.McRally
Scooby Newbie

Torque steer and oversteer are different things.

Torque steer you will feel the steering pull in your hands as you accelerate. Overstear the tail will track wider than the front. An ALK is not what you need.

If its torque steer, up rated harder bushes in the front end will help, if its oversteer when the DCCD is in auto then you need some adjustability in the car - springs, swaybars, dampening, ride height to dial out the oversteer. If you have none try a bit more tyre pressue in the back, this will reduce your slip angle.

***EDIT***

Lift off oversteer is another issue again.

You can change your rear diff from 1 1/2 way to a 2 way - never tried it but they say it helps. Personally I like it it gives you another tool to control the car with - unless youve really over cooked it into the corner then you might find it sends you off, but it seems less evident the closer to the limit you are. I didn't like it at first because it made me nervious.

Last edited by T.McRally; 25 June 2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added content on lift off oversteer
Old 25 June 2008, 12:51 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

With T.McRally, torque steer is the wheel fighting you to NOT go straight, oversteer is where the rear swings round, understeer (which is what you seem to be describing) is where the car tries to go straight ahead (or at least not turn as far/fast as you want, hence 'under steering' - not turning as much as you want!

Simon
Old 25 June 2008, 01:02 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Not understeer but torque steer/oversteer. When accelerating hard the weight shifts to the back wheels, the front raises up slightly losing traction at frnt end, steering becomes light & tendencey move left or right slightly & loses front end traction a little.??
I sometimes get this, you must be really heavy footed to do it though, only happens when giving it proper beans in 1st and 2nd, calms down by 3rd usually.

Just the incredible power from start off, ie; pulling from a junction, even with ALK fitted mine still does it, or did, got rid today.
Old 25 June 2008, 02:38 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Sounds like torque steer.

I've been away from scoobs for a while but no doubt will have a limited slip front diff which makes the trait more pronounced.

You may want to get a full geometry check and also check your tyre pressures and tyre wear, as inconsistancies will again make the problem worse.

If everything os fine, just be pleased that your car is powerfull enough to do it
Old 25 June 2008, 09:50 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I just think the car's too dam powerful!!!
But I m almost used to it now!!
Old 25 June 2008, 09:50 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I just think the car's just too dam powerful!!!
But I m almost used to it now!!
Old 25 June 2008, 10:25 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

i had the same problem just fitted the hard race mounts and car feels alot better and safer lol
Old 26 June 2008, 12:18 AM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Do you have RE070's????

I found this with my car with these tires fitted. Something with a softer side wall seems to elevate the problem.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:07 AM
T.McRally
Scooby Newbie

I see a number of people have suggested an ALK might help, I'd like to add some info on it.

An ALK does not do what you would think it does. It actually increases lift at the front on acceleration and increases dive at the front when braking. If your worried about torque steer and lift off oversteer then this will increase these issues not reduce them.

ALK will also give you more caster which you probably dont need in a C spec - they have about 5 degrees positive from the factory to start with. If you want a little more caster you can turn the offset rear lower control arm bolts 180 degrees and this will bring it up to almost 6 degrees and have no effect on the lift charictoristics of the car. If you have a plated front diff the caster is probably Ok as is, if you have a helical diff in the front the extra caster might help. There's not much between them unless you push hard. It is more important in the pre MY06 cars with DCCD as they have an open centre diff, after that they ran a LSD with the DCCD in the centre.
Old 30 April 2009, 07:15 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The ALK will not increase the 'torque steer' mentioned by the OP, it will slightly reduce its apparent effect due to the increased castor (which increases self centering).

Having said that Scoobies DO NOT SUFFER from torque steer, true torque steer is a steering effect due to differential front geometry, something the subarus much advertised symmetrical AWD doesn't have, what's happening is that as you overcome the grip available at the front wheels you are getting a steering effect, that is not true torque steer.

Simon
Old 30 April 2009, 10:31 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thanks for everyones comments, its actually turned into quite an informative thread!

Just to clarify now as Iv had the car over a year & done a couple of trackdays; changed tyres; fitted ARB; etc & added more power & a lot more torque & got used to the dam beast!

I think what I was originally asking advice on last year, when I first bought the car, was a new phenomenon that I had not experienced before. It definetley was'nt lift off torque steer, nor oversteer, nor even torque steer. I am quite certain it was just the sensation of incredible 4wd grip, especially at the front end. This coupled with a slight power tramlining when being heavy with the throttle. Not ever driven an AWD car before & not one with such power & grip was a new experience at that time.

ps I now like to boot it into roundabouts with diff open; new rear 24mm ARB; & get the back end out a bit, while nailing the newly found 405ft/lb of torque

Last edited by rickya; 30 April 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08 May 2009, 07:30 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

If i were you mate i would get your self on a track day with some tuition it will work wonders for you.
Old 12 May 2009, 02:17 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats why I did last year & hopefully a few more this year too.
Old 07 August 2009, 03:11 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

You're making me want a remap! HUSH!