Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

05 sti, round a r/bout understeer turns into oversteer, what is best....

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2007, 06:47 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 sti, round a r/bout understeer turns into oversteer, what is best....

back off, steer into the slide, get straight, back on power?

or

keep power constant, hope diffs/computer sort it out?

or

increase gas, again hoping diffs/computer sort it out?

not a holigan by the way trying to kill the last legs on my tyres so i'm mucking about on a large empty r/bout on the way to work.

getting a fair bit of oversteer as the tyres on the back are lower than the front (swapped to try to kill evenly!) normally it says pretty settled.

only had the bottle for backing off and getting straight (sort of) then back on the power. don't fancy taking a guess then smacking the front of my car, so what of the above are do-able on the roads?
Old 12 July 2007, 08:53 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Have the diff in auto, keep the throttle nailed and ride it out

This may need some corrective lock but it's easier the second time

Mike
Old 12 July 2007, 09:07 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Have the diff in auto, keep the throttle nailed and ride it out

This may need some corrective lock but it's easier the second time

Mike
thanks for the reply mike jesus, really keep it planted? i might have to find a bigger r/bout or a bigger set of *****
Old 12 July 2007, 11:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A-DCCD is that good a bit scary until you get use to it though

Tony
Old 13 July 2007, 09:52 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Main thing is that the DCCD-A can't do anything unless there's power applied - and that means putting your foot down
Old 13 July 2007, 09:54 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a quick thought - does the UK car have DCCD-A or just DCCD?
Old 13 July 2007, 10:19 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
Just a quick thought - does the UK car have DCCD-A or just DCCD?
From 05 (and the WR1) they come with the A-DCCD, A just stands for auto, switchable manual/auto with ABS where as the classics were manual with no ABS

Tony
Old 13 July 2007, 01:08 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

hmmmm, deffo need a bigger set of ***** to try this out properly. just can't stop the instinct of backing off it's fun sliding around but keep getting flashes of my repayments flashing before my eyes!!

anyone got a spare airfield i can play on?
Old 13 July 2007, 11:11 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

you need ***** like watermelons to try it in a classic with no abs and just the dccd especially in the wet....i have a 3200 quid bill to prove it from last year understeer,oversteer foot down grip whoops
Old 20 July 2007, 08:10 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a trackday at Bedford Autodrome loads of space to try it out.

And they don't get funny if you try too hard!
Old 20 July 2007, 09:53 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Back off, let it slide out, steer in a little and floor it..
Look like a driving god if you get it right.
Old 21 July 2007, 12:27 AM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Hahaha nice thread i have a 05 A-dccd car and i know exactly what ya mean about the seeing payments in ya eyes!

Last edited by mystic_magic; 21 July 2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 21 July 2007, 02:53 PM
gillyz20let
Scooby Regular

im with fuzz.
Go in fast, ease off just before mid bend letting the back end twitch then nail it out, some times it will power slide out the bend and sometimes it just digs in and you get fired out the other side depending on surface grip.

either way just keep your foot planted and keep the front wheels pointing the way you want to go.
Old 24 July 2007, 06:44 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

think i did it ok this morning, is it normal to hear a faint 'clickety-clump' when the diffs do their computer thing or have i broken something

did back off like a girl but only for a little bit, the back slid a little, i got back on the power (couldn't bring myself to plant it though!) had the little noise then it went straight like a bullet was pretty spectacular i must say
Old 24 July 2007, 07:40 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Clicking is normal. ...

Keep at it, you'll have it sussed soon...

Or we'll be seeing you for a wheel alignment
One or the other.

Andy
Old 27 July 2007, 09:54 AM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

Turn in with the back loose, when the car is roughly pointing where you want it to go (up the road preferably - hehehehe), give it beans and steer. As long as you aren't carrying too much speed to make the corner you should be fine...famous last words! It's pretty easy in a 4wd car. I regularly do it in my WRX PPP and in my dad's RS6 (that's a heavy ******* but the computers sort it out). If you really want to practice, wait until it snows. Then you can get powerslides at 20mph instead of 50mph. The RS6 is great fun on snow, you switch off the traction control and plough into a bend, so when you lift off the back end goes WEEEEEEEE!, then, as it's an auto, you press the traction control button half way through the bend and floor it. Clickety click click click and up the road you go. Wish the WRX had a trick diff like that, but TBH it's very quick and predictable without it.
Old 27 July 2007, 01:00 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

I've also got an 05 STi ...

Apporach the roundabout at good speed, turn in and feed the throttle in until you feel the back starting to go, give a bit of opposite lock, but keep that right foot down (don't lift off suddenly as the car tends to jerk back into line which can be more scary).

If it's wet, do the same but feed the throttle in more slowly.

Enjoy!
Old 27 July 2007, 09:12 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

I was doing what I thought was a fast lap at the ring in Oct 06 and i was nailing it around a damp right hander and the back stepped out.
As it did this like a wimp I lifted off and went to correct the car.

Well you guessed it, the A-DCCD corrected itself quicker than I could and flipped the car the other way, I am now going backwards at 70mph.

Total cost was a wheel refurb and new wishbone (with 4wheel align and labour etc) total cost £900.
Old 27 July 2007, 09:20 PM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

ahhhhhhhh. shoulda got a wrx without the DCCD. LOL. so predictable and easy to drive. but you get no cred...

Old 27 July 2007, 09:59 PM
NeilP1
Scooby Regular

is the spec c a-dccd the same as the uk 05 sti a-dccd ?
Old 28 July 2007, 12:04 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So am I missing something or does all this DCCD, ADCCD, ADHD, ABC etc just make it harder to drive?

With my classic WRX with Whiteline chassis mods and Eibach springs, it just goes into a nice four wheel drift on a steady throttle, give it a little more and the back end comes out a little, let off and it does the same, so you just get it sliding then caress the throttle to keep it in the right place, job done. Occasionally if I've overcooked it a bit, it needs an 1/8 of a turn of opposite lock and that's about it.

All these fancy diffs seem to make things much more complicated than they need to be!
Old 28 July 2007, 12:25 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i think if you know how to drive the DCCD then you'll be flying round corners faster than you ever will in a classic.

i can't drive for toffee but my sti would kill my old classic round bends and that had more power!

i also think the computers/diffs will dig you out the **** whereas in the classic you're relying on your skill to keep things on the road

all in my opinion of the two models of course
Old 29 July 2007, 05:43 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

LOL but what you don't know is that I can't drive for **** either! It just seems very easy to keep my classic balanced and it corners like it's on rails, seriously. Totally different from when I first got it and the suspension was bog standard - understeer was pretty much the dish of the day, every day!
Old 29 July 2007, 06:27 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
LOL but what you don't know is that I can't drive for **** either! It just seems very easy to keep my classic balanced and it corners like it's on rails, seriously. Totally different from when I first got it and the suspension was bog standard - understeer was pretty much the dish of the day, every day!
sounds like you've got a well set up car there mate give the new sti's a go though, you'll be pleasantly surprised how much more focused they are.
Old 30 July 2007, 02:18 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Good thread!

I had a couple of hours on a skid pan a fortnight ago. It was an oiled and wetted tarmac surface driving £300 of Sierra. It was at a Staffordshire police training facitlity.

It taught me a lot about oversteer low speeds and was the most fun I have had in a car in a long time.

Steve
Old 13 August 2007, 03:29 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I've had a few moments but not quite got the bottle yet to fully push the car and test out the DCCD on my STi but I am learning and with time and experience I will get the hang of it.

In my RX7 I was forcing drifts out of corners, was allot of fun and looked great when you got it right, car gliding out in a slide with the HKS spitting out flames.

One thing I miss on the scooby is 90 degree's turns, on a powerful rear wheel drive car these are head turners, especially sitting on a junction waiting to go left, small turn of the wheel, pump the pedal and let the power snap the car round 90 degree's but you need to be quick to grab the car again as you power out otherwise you are facing the wrong way :P

I have a mini test road that I am trying to master, it's very tough on any car and you need a fair bit of bottle to push your scooby there but I am hoping to suss out the DCCD and conquer the road - some might know it, if your driving south on the A509 from Northampon, take a left into Hanslope and then take the back road leading to Haversham (Milton Keynes) - tight turns and lots of dips in the road with blind corners, pretty crazy.

Enjoy!
Old 05 September 2007, 09:40 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The Impreza is my first AWD car that isnt an "offroad 4x4"... I must say its taken some getting used to, ive driven pleanty of high power RWD cars (saloons and roadsters) and I do feel much more comfortable behind the wheel of a RWD car...

I've found the Impreza requires me to have more confidence in the car, when unexpected and pretty much uncontrolable over-steer occours I tend to almost allow the steering wheel to do what it wants, I slightly dip the clutch allowing the plate to slightly slip so engine speed can level out with road speed and avoid hitting the brakes and upsetting everything again.

I've had a play on a large wet open piece of tarmac to get the feel of things when traction is lost and I must say its a very strange sensation compared to RWD.. with a RWD car you can feel it in your gut (if that makes sense) as soon as any kind of over-steer begins and its very easy to power through it, the Impreza seems to want you to just back off the power and let it sort its own life out, if you try and give it too much input it bites you back.
Old 10 November 2007, 09:35 PM
b34ver
Scooby Regular

I have 54 reg forester and found it "unusual" in the wet at first. fitted front and rear adjustable arb's and it's made l.oads of difference. Still no where near as easy as rear wheel drive though. Coilovers coming soon! I have no clever diffs etc though... Interesting handling, do think technology makes you quicker though.
Old 06 December 2007, 03:20 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
Good thread!
I had a couple of hours on a skid pan a fortnight ago. It was an oiled and wetted tarmac surface driving £300 of Sierra. It was at a Staffordshire police training facitlity.
That place still going, when I was there they had an Ovlov 340 which we could just get round the oval in oversteer the whole way....good safe way to learn...

Need more grunt in mine as I can't unstick either end right now at anything like a vaguely sensible speed, best mod ever was a larger rear ARB.

B34ver - do you get on the subaru forester forums at all? Europe - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 06 December 2007 at 03:25 PM.