Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Left foot braking

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 03:23 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left foot braking

I have an MY05 WRX PPP and when i left foot brakes when on the twisties with the power still on sometimes the brake pedal goes rock hard, and its only when i take my foot off the accelerator that it dissapears, normally when doing quite hight speeds but it doesn't tke much for this to start happening only once or twice!

can anyone shed any light on this please?

cheers

Mickey
Old 13 June 2007, 03:27 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

All I know is when I left foot brake, my head hits the windscreen

It's almost as hard to master as driving barefoot

Good luck
Old 13 June 2007, 03:46 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some cars do funny things to prevent us 'normal' drivers doing some dangerous things.

One car I had would cut the engine power if I left foot braked (with the power still on). End result was me braking much more heavily than I intended to.

Maybe it's something like that???
Old 13 June 2007, 04:07 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yup, left foot braking in a Renault 5 caused the car to do an emergency stop. Basically locked the brakes and the only way to get out of it was to put the clutch down.
Old 13 June 2007, 04:30 PM
x-isle
Scooby Regular

Crickey!

How hard are you left foot braking. It's only there to be dabbed while the throttle is planted.....

With regards to the pedal going hard when accelerating. Could be something to do with the servo.

I don't quite understand why you'd need to left foot brake on any road drive though, especially in a car that promotes over steer on throttle.

Craig Rogers
Mighty Minis Racing - C&F Racing
Old 13 June 2007, 05:04 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

LFT - Left Foot Braking is very hard to master. When I first tried it i almost when through the windscreen.

The idea behind left foot braking is to balance the car when slowing down for a bend in the road.
Old 13 June 2007, 05:31 PM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

One of the best racers I know that left foot brakes is ex BTCC racer Yvan Muller. Can promote shortened pad life but effective to keep the car balance through the twisties. Not tried it yet in my Impreza, still getting the hang of heal and toe.
Old 13 June 2007, 06:06 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

You're using all the avilable vacuum in the brake servo. Once you lift off the throttle, the servo is subjected to much more vacuum, and the assistance from the servo is what pulls the brake pedal down.

If you're running into this problem, you're not doing it properly.
Old 13 June 2007, 06:19 PM
Mongo
Scooby Regular

lmao @ the windscreen remarks.. I think we've all been there
Old 13 June 2007, 08:41 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
You're using all the avilable vacuum in the brake servo. Once you lift off the throttle, the servo is subjected to much more vacuum, and the assistance from the servo is what pulls the brake pedal down.

If you're running into this problem, you're not doing it properly.
What I was thinking. If you think you 'need' left foot braking on the road, then you're probably going too fast anyway, no offence.
Practice heal &t toe instead.
Old 13 June 2007, 08:43 PM
404BHP
Scooby Regular

Heal and toe is the way takes a while to do though but works great
Old 13 June 2007, 08:45 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

And the pedals in the impreza are perfectly spaced for it.
Old 14 June 2007, 08:16 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Personally, I use a technique called heel and toe. So much quicker than attempting to heal something before toeing it
Old 14 June 2007, 08:45 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

LFB should really only be used (in a manual) for adjusting the car mid corner and you wont need much pressure at all, the actual decel phase before the corner should be done with the right foot (or part of it).

I doubt you will get enough speed/space on the public roads to really get the hang of it, it will take a lot of practice. You will also need to set up your car correctly, which on a road car is not really that simple. Without a proper suspension set up and a brake bias valve I think you will struggle to get the full effect.

So what I am saying, is its really only for racers, on the race track, in race cars. IMHO.

Unless you drive an automatic
Old 14 June 2007, 08:50 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Exactly. Left foot braking is used to reduce understeer when negotiating a corner. If you have room and it's safe the next you go round a rndabt at a 'higher' speed then normal, wait for the front wheels to start sliding (understeer) and then gently (and I do mean gently) touch the brake pedal with your left foot. You'll be amazed at how quickly it kills understeer, as you're shifting the weight over towards the front wheels, giving more grip.
Old 14 June 2007, 09:11 AM
x-isle
Scooby Regular

Left Foot Braking and Heel and Toe are not a substitute for each other, they are used for different things.

Left Foot Braking is not a technique used on entry to a corner, it's a mid to exit technique which promotes a bit of oversteer to combat understeer.

Heel and Toe is not there to protect your equipment (although it does help), it's there to match the revs of the engine to the gearbox to stop the wheels locking when you change down the box.

Left Foot Braking is not required on the road (possibly with the exception of an Alpine Pass! ) as it's only really usefull when you are full throttle.

Heel and Toe could potentially be used on the road when giving it some.

Craig Rogers

Last edited by x-isle; 14 June 2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 14 June 2007, 09:27 AM
asagi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by x-isle

Left Foot Braking is not a technique used on entry to a corner, it's a mid to exit technique which promotes a bit of oversteer to combat understeer.

LFB is can also be used on the entry to a corner when barrelling into a flat out 'top gear' turn. Can be used to scrub off a little excess speed and/or transfer weight forward to help a car turn in. It is used that way in single-seaters especially.

Bazza
Old 14 June 2007, 01:06 PM
x-isle
Scooby Regular

Each to their own I suppose, but I'd prefer the option of a bit of lift-off oversteer in this occasion.
Old 14 June 2007, 01:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't heel & toe per se as my feet although not huge at 10 feel too big.

I find the little tab on the STI pedals handy so I put the ball of my foot on the brake and rock my foot to the tab to blip the throttle.

As for LFB. I don't bother at all, maybe to ensure you get a firm pedal when it is time to brake hard but not really worth it on the road.
Old 14 June 2007, 01:30 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Left Foot Braking and Heel and Toe are not a substitute for each other, they are used for different things.

Heel and Toe is not there to protect your equipment (although it does help), it's there to match the revs of the engine to the gearbox to stop the wheels locking when you change down the box.

Left Foot Braking is not required on the road (possibly with the exception of an Alpine Pass! ) as it's only really usefull when you are full throttle.

Heel and Toe could potentially be used on the road when giving it some.

Craig Rogers
Well said.

Can LFB also be used to 'plant' the car when going over rough ground at speed? I find it settles the car without upsetting it.

LFB to prevent understeer works a treat, it just takes practice and this will involve a few **** ups.

Heel and toeing is useful on the road if your 'going some' but don't try it when your not as it's bloomin' difficult!
Old 14 June 2007, 01:32 PM
terzo204
Scooby Regular

Heel and Toe is not there to protect your equipment (although it does help), L
And it's fun too!
Old 14 June 2007, 04:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
All I know is when I left foot brake, my head hits the windscreen
Same!

Think it would be easier when the brakes fade a bit or you really need to jam on the anchors. But don't want to practise in either of those scenerios.
Old 14 June 2007, 04:28 PM
x-isle
Scooby Regular

The reason that a few of you "hit the windscreen" is because you are simply not used to it.

Karting will help you get a feel on how to use your left foot to brake. It's simply because you are not used to applying pressure through a pedal with your left foot (apart from a clutch which doesn't have much feed back).

It does take a while to get used to it at first.
Old 14 June 2007, 04:54 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The reason that a few of you "hit the windscreen" is because you are simply not used to it.

Karting will help you get a feel on how to use your left foot to brake. It's simply because you are not used to applying pressure through a pedal with your left foot (apart from a clutch which doesn't have much feed back).

It does take a while to get used to it at first.
That's where I learnt LFB mate. I think every performance for owner should do around 20 hours karting before buying their potential 'mobile-coffin'!
Everyone said I was too young to have scooby at 21, but I had been racing karts since I was 15, so I was prepared for most things. Always keep on learning though, as learning to drive never ends!
Old 14 June 2007, 05:39 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

I used to like taking a friends C2 VTR out (The one with a flappy paddle box) for trying out left foot braking. Again first time ended up with a bit of me and window time. LOL
Old 14 June 2007, 05:50 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

I find the little tab on the STI pedals handy so I put the ball of my foot on the brake and rock my foot to the tab to blip the throttle.
In reality, that is what most people do. I believe the term heel and toe originated when the accelerator pedal was floor mounted.

The reason you guys hit the windscreen is because your left foot is conditioned to stabbing the clutch with little or no finesse. the brake pedal requires a lot of finesse.
Old 14 June 2007, 07:59 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

I think you'll find this is heel and toe..
Old 14 June 2007, 11:14 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Each to their own I suppose, but I'd prefer the option of a bit of lift-off oversteer in this occasion.
But if you use lif off oversteer, does that not mean that you now have the back breaking loose as well as the front. I wouldnt have thought lifting off would help get the weight back over the wheels in a controlled manner.
Old 15 June 2007, 08:01 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Depends how much you 'lift-off'. If you accelerate, where does the weight go......to the back, forcing the tyres onto the road. If you enter a corner like this, then most of the grip will be at the back. So you brake instead......and all the weight goes to the front, making the back very light possibly leading to lift-off oversteer when you turn the wheel. Best way is to do all the braking before the corner and enter on trailing throttle. This helps to balance the car. You can also use left foot braking, but it won't slow you down very well if you're still on the gas, it will just help stabalize the car.
Old 19 June 2007, 09:34 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

cheers for that guys i guess i will just use LFB in the twisties but only a little bit and to shorten the time it takes to move my right foot over to the brake.

Thanks again for the info guys!

Quick Reply: Left foot braking