Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Scooby STI Advanced Driving Course

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2007, 08:36 PM
jubhi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby STI Advanced Driving Course

Hi,

I've just recently bought a MY05 WRX STI PPP and upgraded from a Civic Type R.

I was wondering is there any place that does an advanced driving course where you can blast a WRX STI around a track?

It's just that I would like to do that but not blast mine around but their car if you know what I mean.

I'm also a biker and did the Ron Haslam Racing Academy course at Donington Park last year, they supply the bike and gear while my Fireblade was relaxing in the garage!! lol I found this more enjoyable as your not worried about damaging ur own property.

Is there anything like this for Scoobies???

Thanks.

Jas.
Old 30 January 2007, 08:40 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Good shout, i would be interested in something like this too.
Old 30 January 2007, 11:30 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

google track days
Old 31 January 2007, 12:17 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Look for the driver training days on Welcome to the SIDC :: The Subaru Impreza Drivers Club :: SIDC

You use your own car, but you won't damage it.

I did one few weeks ago, it was awesome!!!!
Old 01 February 2007, 12:55 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Castle Coombe does a saloon driving day that teaches in WRXs and Elises:
Subaru Impreza WRX Driving Experience
Other circuits may offer similar

D
Old 13 February 2007, 06:55 PM
ScoobaruZXZ
Scooby Newbie

Prodrive do a track day where you use there cars. Bit pricey I here (£250ish) but worth it from those I've spoke to that have been on it. It's at there own test track in Warwickshire and it you look on the Prodrive website you should find the info.
Old 31 December 2007, 03:19 PM
gsxr rider
Scooby Newbie

Institute of Advanced Motorists | Welcome to the IAM! this is what meant by advanced driving nothing else!!!
track driving/riding is something totally different.
Old 31 December 2007, 11:30 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobaruZXZ
Prodrive do a track day where you use there cars. Bit pricey I here (£250ish) but worth it from those I've spoke to that have been on it. It's at there own test track in Warwickshire and it you look on the Prodrive website you should find the info.
Went to this quite a few months back, well worth the money (even though I didn't pay for it) and I am probably going back in 2008.

The day varies but you will all do the same events pretty much, just in a different order (our groups consisted of 3 or 4 people).

We started off in the morning with a presentation of the day and some safety tips etc. Then were split up into small groups and met up with an instructor.

Luckily for my group we started off on the tarmac rally stage which really helped us get a feel for the STI's (hawkeye STi's and WRX's). The instructor will take you on two or three laps around the tarmac rally advising what to do where (I would stay quiet and try to obsorb everything here).

Then everyone jumps out and one luckly/unlucky victim gets to drive around the track - in my case I was first so jump straight in! Took the first two laps easy and just listened to what the chap was saying and performing the action with the car. After two laps I get a feel for it and the instructor asked me to speed up (really strange being told to floor the car lol). After my fifth lap I was pretty much as flat out as I could go.

I could have done the tarmac rally stage all day long, it's that much fun and a learning experience non stop.

One thing you will get told is how you will reach your limit and not the car, this was very true with everyone there. Only a couple of seasoned track day guys were setting the tyres on fire.

After the tarmac rally event we were driven down back to the paddock where we changed cars jumping into Legacy's (they used Legacy and Forrester's here). The event was the skid pan, something I was really looking forward to.

Not like your normal skid pan, they have a purpose built road with water jets on there to simulate proper wet weather driving - the aim of the game is to swing the car in a pendulum fashion applying gentle power to control the skid until you exit the wet road - it's a bone jarring experience when you leave the wet surface and then suddenly find masses of grip on the dry track. I had the pleasure of getting to the bottom of the course in a nice fashion and then completely messing the run up by doing a 360 spin and driving out hehe.

After that you get to go on a circular skid pan, this is unique to Prodrive (I think), a circular dome shaped surface that is constantly being sprayed by water, again the aim here is to go as sideways as possible. I had an absolute blast here and about the only one who managed to get around the circle completely sideways (with the help of the handbrake lol). It's ten times harder than it looks, mainly because you in a 4-wheel drive legacy so it unless you get the turn-in-power-on process correct your will either find lots of 4-wheel drive grip or understeer loads till you hit the dry surface and slam your face on the side window.

Third event consisted of driving blind fold weaving in and out of cones with the aid of a partner who has to direct you through the course. Strange and disorientating experience - one part of your brain wants to trust your partner but the other half then starts to doubt what he/she has said and tries to over correct.. some really comedy moments here, one chap managed to go off-road! Along with this you learn how to do proper emergency braking at high speed e.g on a motorway and how you would avoid a head on collision (or try to).

Speaking of off-road, we then switched to the Subaru outback and forrester vehicles for some proper off-roading. I was expecting to find this part boring but our instructor seemed like a funny bloke and let us boot around the off-road track at pace.. and we almost rolled the Forrester! Have to rate off-road driving, takes a fair amount of skill to get right on the tricky surfaces.

We then had a break and finally did about 5 laps each of the high speed circuit consisting of an oval with a couple of tight chicanes and a nice fast right hander to let you get that drift going!

All in all a top day for me and others, I really felt like I walked away with sound knowledge about how to driving an Impreza properly while remaining safe.
Old 01 January 2008, 11:19 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Along with this you learn how to do proper emergency braking at high speed e.g on a motorway and how you would avoid a head on collision (or try to).
So what changes here then when you say 'proper'?