Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Driving technique if someone is trying to force you off the road?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2006, 10:47 PM
Graphite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving technique if someone is trying to force you off the road?

Hi - any ideas?

You know like in the movies (or Tiff Needel doing a stunt ) If someone is shunting your car what is the best thing to do?

Presumably trying to get away (unless your car is massively faster ) is probably not the best as you are muchh more likely to have a 'single driver accident' saving them lots of trouble

At higher speeds presumably your car is more likely to get unsettled by any bumps and any accident will be likely to be worse.

If you slow down they can get a greater speed differential between you and a 'harder hit'

So what is the best thing to do?

Very unlikely to happen I know - but in the event something like this did occur it would be good to have thought about the options first!

Cheers

G
Old 11 December 2006, 11:14 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I'd say try and get them to rear-end you (oo-er); they're much more likely to damage something important that way (radiator etc.) so as long as you can hang on to it and not spin you're in the clear.

I would recommend not commiting the crime in the first place though, rather than trying to find ways to escape...
Old 15 December 2006, 05:23 PM
Graphite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

From tiffs demonstration they seem to best get you just clipping the back conrner and spinning your car round - I quite like the attack version where he put it into reverse and just slammed into the front of the pursuers car LOL - Brilliant - probably better effect with the Discovery than with the Scoob...
Old 02 January 2007, 09:57 AM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

i have to say what i tend to do is pull the tights down over my head speed up considerably and then dip the clutch whilst pulling up the handbrake. I spin it 180 degrees and reach down for the UZi hidden on the seat and then unleash in a hail of bullets all whilst smoking a havana. Works everytime lol.
Old 06 January 2007, 06:09 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

180 degree turn is a standard evasion technique.

1. Look at the road surface. Is it wet etc. Obviously wet means a lower speed. If it is rough - you may roll it. If it is loose then again a lower spead.

2. What are the other hazzards oncoming traffic, trees etc.

3. Get the car nice and balanced steady throtle. Depending on suface speed needs to be fast enough to get momentum for the 180 degree but not so fast that you will roll it. Usually between 25 -35mph is OK

4. Dip the clutch. Put handbrake on to lock back wheels up. Take right hand and grab left hand side of the wheel. Throw wheel.

This all needs to happen at once. As soon as the backs have locked up a fraction of a second later you need to induce massive overstear by turning the wheel as far as you can to the right.

5. You will end up on the otherside of the road facing exactly the opposite direction. Engage clutch select gear and bug out of there.

I WOULD NOT DO THIS ON A PUBLIC ROAD UNLESS YOU WERE IN GREAT DANGER.

Find an empty safe space and practice. WIth different speeds building up slowly.
Each car behaves differently and it is also down to your to judgement of the surface.

If someone is that close behind you then you always run the risk of being broadsided by them.

It is not a great idea too get quarter panels to touch as bumpers etc can quite easily lock.
Old 06 January 2007, 09:18 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I've heard it's probably not a good idea to handbrake a scoob without dccd due to 4wd; hard on the centre diff...
Old 07 January 2007, 11:28 AM
Scooby Senior

Driving Techniques For Escape And Evasion

HTH
Old 07 January 2007, 05:57 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
I've heard it's probably not a good idea to handbrake a scoob without dccd due to 4wd; hard on the centre diff...
Yes i have also heard this.
Ru are you the chap that used to have the silver wagon in Brighton a few years back?
Old 07 January 2007, 06:04 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

some people are watching FAR too much TV....

Whatever next?

Evasion techniques when an apache gunship has missile lock?

Best way to remove depleted uranium tipped ordanance from my tailgate?

Front mount ICBM Launch sequence playing up...main dealer, or can I remap myself?
Old 07 January 2007, 06:08 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500

I was hoping that was going to be a good link. Nothing personal 500
I only read the first paragraph.
What a load of Bollcoks.

`You can only do a bootlegger turn in a RWD car´
Granted RWD means it is easier - but you can do a bootlegger in FWD, I used to be able to do them in my sleep in FWD.

`Automatic transmition is better´
Again rubbish. You have more control with a manual, as we all know, In actual fact it is pretty hard to do it with an auto.

Rant over

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 07 January 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07 January 2007, 07:55 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Yes i have also heard this.
Ru are you the chap that used to have the silver wagon in Brighton a few years back?
No, sorry. Must be someone else.
Old 07 January 2007, 11:34 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Handbraking the Scoob: big garage bill, not good for it for sure!
Old 07 January 2007, 11:49 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed

Fun though
Old 08 January 2007, 07:45 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
I think you are missing the point
Old 09 January 2007, 06:31 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Boll (de) ocks !!!
DIP THE CLUTCH STOOPID....

My classic went round too easily, used it as a pretend rally driver on the loose, very funny, very sideways, but not very quick.

My blob-eye again, just heavier... and no I haven't got a garage full of blown diffs.... only do it when lost and bored, or it's wet, and slippery....

Standard road rally technique, just don't show the taxi drivers out there....
Old 12 January 2007, 09:23 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Who's stoopid?

How does dipping the clutch change the fact that the front and rear 'axles' are connected via the centre diff?
Old 20 January 2007, 11:13 AM
Graphite
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Link to offensive driving clip...

Some interesting comments - thanks

This is a clip of the video I was thinking of... YouTube - Schule für offensives fahren

It's a bit low quality - anyone got a better one?

G
Old 20 January 2007, 01:43 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Maybe search for fifth gear stuff, think that's where it's from.

You have to let us know why you're interested though...
Old 23 January 2007, 08:40 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

When i watch them tv shunt chases, I always think, just brake and get behind the baddies you ***!

Then, make em fish tale into some solid object, and get the hell out of there!
Old 26 January 2007, 11:15 AM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

30mm spanner through the other cars driver window, followed by a karate chop is an effective means of showing the ******* you jolly well mean business. yeah, go on, tell his mum too. the *******.
Old 19 March 2007, 07:10 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06 April 2007, 07:17 AM
tfl55
Scooby Regular

Default select gear and bug out of there.

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
180 degree turn is a standard evasion technique.

1. Look at the road surface. Is it wet etc. Obviously wet means a lower speed. If it is rough - you may roll it. If it is loose then again a lower spead.

2. What are the other hazzards oncoming traffic, trees etc.

3. Get the car nice and balanced steady throtle. Depending on suface speed needs to be fast enough to get momentum for the 180 degree but not so fast that you will roll it. Usually between 25 -35mph is OK

4. Dip the clutch. Put handbrake on to lock back wheels up. Take right hand and grab left hand side of the wheel. Throw wheel.

This all needs to happen at once. As soon as the backs have locked up a fraction of a second later you need to induce massive overstear by turning the wheel as far as you can to the right.

5. You will end up on the otherside of the road facing exactly the opposite direction. Engage clutch select gear and bug out of there.

I WOULD NOT DO THIS ON A PUBLIC ROAD UNLESS YOU WERE IN GREAT DANGER.

Find an empty safe space and practice. WIth different speeds building up slowly.
Each car behaves differently and it is also down to your to judgement of the surface.

If someone is that close behind you then you always run the risk of being broadsided by them.

It is not a great idea too get quarter panels to touch as bumpers etc can quite easily lock.
bug out! that's an expression I have not heard for a while. are u ex military???????
Old 02 January 2008, 05:24 PM
gsxr rider
Scooby Newbie

what leads you to believe you would need to know some type of technique to get you out of this type of situation???
First of all if u get into it you must really have done something wrong either that or you are evading a police pursuit or you are in the security business and got your principal under attack.
first of all with the ecxception of police pursit in which case you are not likely to get away then you should have not got into the situation...
you are looking at being no more than 30mph to execute a j turn or h/brake turn on a main road but even then how safe is it to execute? pedestrians other obstacles etc.
If someone is doing ths to you then you cant do that much tbh, weigh up the options. damage car, damage yourself. damage aggresor car, damage aggresor. either way the feds will get involved.
wonder what sparked the question? j turns etc take much practice and we did them on a said security course on a wet skid pan to perfection...
Old 04 January 2008, 10:45 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

You dnt hav to of done anything wrong, i was put in a situation a few years ago where i used a j turn to get out of it. some phsyco in a freelander rammed my old clio 16v at a junction and proceeded to come at me with a metal bar it all happened so quick i dint even get his reg no i jus got outta there sharpish! j turn worked a treat by the way but it was throwing it down at the time lol
Old 04 January 2008, 11:15 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Had a similar situation before with road rage. Guy overtook me, slammed his brakes on and got out of his car... Coming towards me waving some bar thing.

I reversed down the street a bit, waited till he was halfway between my car and his and drove past him... By the time he was in his car I was gone! Just drive to a police station or something.. if the coppers are chasing you then tought poo poo!
Old 04 January 2008, 04:23 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Likewise, saw a chap ram another car when stopped at traffic lights a few years back. The guy who got rammed got out of the car fuming. Chap who did the ramming gets out of his car with a bat and then proceeds to chase the chap in front when he quickly gets back in his car and tries to drive off. Sadly in the UK today there are a lot of idiots out there who should be behind bars but instead are out on the streets causing people trouble in all sorts of ways.

Just out of interest, with an open centre diff (Which I believe all non DCCD cars have) would it not be fine to handbrake turn as this is what the diff is for - to allow the front and rear a to spin at different rates. Surely its only a locked diff where the front and rear are locked together when this would cause trouble. I'm a novice when it comes to diffs so if someone would like to hear what actually happens with a handbrake turn on an impreza.