Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

newbie - shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2006, 08:49 AM
island991
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie - shifting

hi. had my first scooby, a turbo2000 wagon, about a week now. slowly getting to know her, but struggling shifting between 1st and 2nd smoothly. is this a scooby thing or a me thing(more likely i think!!) im tending to get a jolt/knock as i shift even when not flooring it.

any ideas what im doing wrong or what i can improve?? or if the car needs looking at?

thanks
Old 02 February 2006, 12:53 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

When you say jolt/knock......do you mean through the gearshift?

Could be a number of things.......syncro's are out could be a poss
Old 02 February 2006, 06:35 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

ive been driving today and think maybe it is me not the car. possibly getting on the juice a little early as i lift off the clutch. would this cause a jolt? i suppose it could be the opposite, lifting clutch too early. i managed a few better shifts but it is frustrating. just trying to enjoy my first scooby!!
Old 03 February 2006, 08:27 AM
donaldmac
Scooby Regular

I've got the same car got it a year ago now and had the same problem. Got it sussed now its a case of getting the balance right between the nailing the accelerator and letting the clutch out. All down to timing.

But when I let friends drive they still have the same problem.
Old 03 February 2006, 01:17 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Try changing gear slowly? Clutch down fully, change gear, clutch up...

Either you're trying to change gear too fast or there's something wrong with you/the car - do it slowly and you should find out which. You'll also get used to the gearbox over time.

Maybe providing more explanation of what's happening could help others give advice? Does it jolt 'forwards' or does it slow down sharply (sort of jolt 'backwards' if you know what I mean?

I don't have the same model as you (mine's an 05) but the revs don't drop down properly after a gearchange (it kinda revs when the clutch is engaged, and sounds like I can't drive...) - change slowly and find out what's going on.
Old 03 February 2006, 06:09 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

cheers for the much needed advice! i think it kinda jolts back.its almost like i can hear it at the back of the wagon (i know more noise comes into the car in the back in a wagon....). but im sure its me not the car(thank god!!). ive managed a few clean shifts today so i must be able to do it sometimes?!!
Old 03 February 2006, 07:11 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Have you had any trouble in other cars?

It sounds like something is wrong with your motor; I'm sure that these cars don't need much skill to change gear smoothly...
Old 03 February 2006, 09:56 PM
island991
Scooby Regular

no trouble in other cars.....
Old 17 February 2006, 06:17 PM
steve1192
Scooby Regular

is it a turbo coz it could be the turbo letting off once you let the throttle off to compress clutch and change that makes a jolt
Old 17 February 2006, 08:07 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

just sounds like your letting the clutch out too quick mate, as said above try doing it in slow motion and bring the clutch out smoothly especially through the biting point.

i wouldnt advise doing this in slow motion too many times as it would make the clutch slip a little, nothing drastic just try it and see how ya go then ya can begin to speed it up, just be smooth on it.
Old 20 February 2006, 12:52 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Driveline backlash. Happens greatly when you have the AC on in a hot day.

Change gears higher in the RPM range, seems to help for some reason. Some people reckon the A/C is turned off at WOT allowing smoother change. See if this helps regardless, helps with mine.

If its really bad, check all your mounts are okay.

Last edited by prana; 22 February 2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 21 February 2006, 01:45 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

There is nothing wrong with your car.

Just insert a little wait (for the engine revs to drop into the correct range) and the change will be alot smoother.

6 years ago with an MY00 I had the same - suprised me at first.

Thats where the STI 6 speed comes into its own.
Old 21 April 2006, 08:30 PM
armogedden57
Scooby Regular

not enough revs/ too quick lifting off the cluch, had my 98 turbo for about 4 weeks, had the same prob for a few days getting used to it
Old 24 April 2006, 10:25 AM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I got it occasionally on my '00 as well but it can happen when disengaging the clutch. When changing gear at full throttle, I suspect the turbo tries to maintain boost as the throttle closes so maintaining power a fraction later than a N/A car. This means the transmision is still loaded as the clutch goes down. The only clunk is the release of torque on the system.
Once you get the timing right, it's a great car. Enjoy it.
Old 24 April 2006, 08:50 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I think this is a known problem which seems to be most common in the 99/00 series. See this long running thread for more info:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=192111&page=2

Unfortunately, no real solution though. I can drive round it most of the time but it can be a bit hit and miss at times !

Andy.
Old 26 April 2006, 08:49 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers for the reply on my other thread Andy. One thing springs to mind reading this thread though - seems a lot of people put it down to gearchange technique, but I'm convinced it's nothing to do with that. The problem is that the hesitation/jolting is most obvious when working through the gears as this is the time when you are off and on the throttle a lot.

Try cruising along steady - any speed, any revs, any gear. Instead of changing up and down, keep it in gear, tickling along on an almost closed throttle and then give it a sharp prod. It doesn't have to be burying the pedal in the carpet, just a couple of cms will do it. When I do this I get a split second hesitation where the boost rises but revs stay exactly the same, then a jolt as the drive comes in. BUT if I then have a go at gentle acceleration on say 1/10 throttle and prod the pedal in the same way, it behaves perfectly - smooth seamless acceleration. It simply cannot be provoked into hesitating or jolting at all, as long as you're not starting from a closed throttle.
Old 28 April 2006, 07:08 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Boost pressure
Old 30 April 2006, 11:47 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boost pressure??? Not quite sure what you mean?

The more I study it closely, the clearer the problem becomes. I don't know whether this is because I'm gradually ruling things out (i.e. just today changed the plugs and the fuel filter and last week the lambda sensor), or whether it's getting worse now...

But basically, every time you even touch the throttle in any significant way, from a closed throttle position - it hesitates for half a second before it suddenly pulls away. It doesn't do it under any other circumstances; it's independent of revs, boost, water temperature etc. But you can repeat it all day long simply by letting off the throttle and then giving it a prod.

It's totally impossible to park the car even, without it kangarooing back and forth every time you brush the accelerator.
Old 30 April 2006, 11:57 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

I am not 100% sure all the explanations either, but I asked a rally car builder here in Australia (MSR). He told me it's boost pressure. When you throttle and let go, he said something along the lines of boost pressure moving from max to ambient, does this a few times before settling, making the car feel its galloping. Of course, I am not technical so I can't explain why and how it all works. But he being who he is, I just took his word for it...

He said he made adjustments to his car and it doesnt gallop at all anymore. So it can be fixed...
Old 01 May 2006, 02:05 AM
hmhaga
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem you describe when I bought my car 5 years ago, it is all about timing and practice. When I let friends drive my car, they have exactly the same timing problems.
Old 10 October 2006, 12:22 PM
kevj1977
Scooby Newbie

Island, it sounds to me like you are changing gear too quickly.
I suspect that sometimes you hear a 'clunk' from the back of the car too.
This is your diff (4wd) engaging at too high revs. I used to do it from 1st to 2nd when i first got mine. take it a bit slower and you should find you will lose the problem.
Old 10 October 2006, 05:39 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

wtf? Thread from the dead, lol
Old 12 October 2006, 09:49 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

HAVE YOU GOT A VENT TO ATMOSPHERE DUMPVALVE?
Old 27 July 2007, 10:26 AM
carnivorous
Scooby Regular

It's the AWD and the 5-speed box. All scoobys do it even my 2007 WRX. YOu get used to it and learn to drive around it with a bit of practice. My 96 turbo did it as well. Never driven one that didn't....
Old 30 July 2007, 09:57 PM
NAY TURBO 99
Scooby Regular

Default my 99

i had the same problem when i first brought my classic thought it was the car but when you get more used to the car you will be able to change gear more smothly hopfuly this is your problem and there is nothing wrong with your scoob