Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Is Heal Toe braking necessary for modern cars on track days.

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 11:04 AM
MY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is Heal Toe braking necessary for modern cars on track days.

I understand the theory behind the technique is that putting your heel between the accelerator and brake pedals then rolling your foot from the brake pedal bliping the throttle which incidentlry does sound good, allows the engine to match gears to RPM thus having various good effect on component wear and vehicle ballance through corners. With a view to an upcoming track day i thought i'd get Scoobynetters opinions on the technique. Do i try and use it or should i stick with my usual "cat'n'fiddle" (great road) / country lane method of initially braking hard down shifting through the gears then decreasing brake presure as i aproach the corner (Whilst applying the IAM technique of reading the road ahead to make sure the road and junctions are clear ect)
Old 18 January 2006, 12:45 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I'd imagine if done properly it would be the thing to do.

I've been practicing it now and then, and to be honest I can't do it very well so for me I wouldn't do it on a track day (unless the purpose was more practice).

If I was concerned about lap times it would mean my laps were slower.

I'm a bit of an idiot though...
Old 18 January 2006, 01:22 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I do it, you get used to it and it feels odd when you don't. Yellowvanman even does it in his diesel van (yellow)
Old 18 January 2006, 01:40 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I've never been able to twist my foot enough. I can do it in some cars by braking with the ball of my foot and blipping with the outside edge.
Don't have the confidence to do this appraching hairpins at 100+ though...
If you can't do it, just change down that bit later before entering a corner
to let your revs drop. Track days aren't about squeezing every last second - that'll trash your car.

More importantly, in understeery cars particulary, leave some of the braking on as you turn in, and easy it off as you head for the apex. This weights up your outside front tyre, and helps prevent understeer. Brake hard on the corner though, and you will of course spin!
Old 18 January 2006, 04:17 PM
Kasteel
Scooby Newbie

But, if you don't do it for your laptime, it's still not bad for your gearbox+brakes...
Old 18 January 2006, 05:37 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

What about a simple double de-clutch? i.e brake, lift off break, clutch down and blip throttle , change down back on brake.

Once you get used to doing it works well. Also gives your gear box an easier time.
Old 18 January 2006, 06:42 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have always found the pedals in the scoob not to well placed for heal and toe action, can only seem to make it work with big shoes on. Hopefully a nice set of pedals with an extra tab on the side of the accelerator will sort this out.
Old 18 January 2006, 06:56 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I think the pedals are perfectly placed for heal and toe on the scoob.
I learnt how to do it properly when I attented the silverstone racing school for a week, 2 years ago. It is a bit difficult at first, but it does start to make sense.
Initially, I brake hard with the top half of my foot, then, at the appropriate time, shift the bottom half of my foot over to blip the throttle. No excuses for big feet either, i'm a size 10!
Feels great when you start to get it right. As Milamber said, when you know how, it feels weird not to!
Old 19 January 2006, 09:29 AM
MY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Tried it whilst sat in the car with engine off ect, but due to a bike crash some years ago and a few badley broken bones it seems my leg/foot/ancle won't rotate enough to let me do it. So i'll have to go for double de-clutching through the gears.
Old 19 January 2006, 02:10 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

MY93WRX,

Try putting the left side of your foot (big toe and ball of foot) onto the edge of the brake pedal (enough to be able to fully depress it), then open your legs, and you should find the right side of your left foot catchs the accelerator pedal enough for 'Heel and Toe' down changes.

Hope that makes sense. I've always found the name 'Heel and Toe' doesn't really help.

Dave.
Old 19 January 2006, 02:34 PM
MY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Good Idea, i'll have a little experiment with that.
Old 19 January 2006, 03:46 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

A bit off-topic, but if you watch the "Drift Bible" or any of the Best Motoring Series there are some excellent examples of how to heel and toe and the benefits it gives you.
I've found that if you practise during day-to-day driving it soon becomes second nature. Once you become confident with doing this in your normal driving it will be much easier to do it when going quickly.
I think I must have funny joints, because I find the pedal spacing to be perfect in the Scoob.
Old 19 January 2006, 03:54 PM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Done it in every vehicle I've ever driven - The old boy showed me the benefits whilst learning to drive.

Although I may not blip the throttle on every gear change, my foot is positioned over the accelerator (and feels unnatural if not). I also agree that the position of the pedals in a Scoob is perfect for heal and toeing.

It also comes in useful for hill starts/junctions and I find myself never using my handbrake, except in the dark (rightly or wrongly).

Just keep practising and you'll feel it easy enough to settle into

On another note, I've never managed (on the few attempts) to master left foot breaking and always end up breaking way too hard. However, as its my brakes/gearbox etc, that I have to pay for, I'm unwilling to practise until perfect.

Last edited by Charles aka Charlie; 20 January 2006 at 08:15 AM. Reason: One bad Apple
Old 19 January 2006, 07:00 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Charles aka Charlie
It also comes in useful for hill starts/junctions and I find myself never using my handbrake (rightly or wrongly).
Not saying it's not a valid technique but just think of when it's raining at night and the feejit in front of you at the juction has got all three brake lights on - two side and centre / hi-vis and is blinding you. Then see how you like it...

Mind you, the current "couldn't give a flying **** about anybody else" attitude says you wouldn't be bothered when you're doing it...

/rant over /
Old 20 January 2006, 12:25 AM
madmoog
Scooby Regular

Not found the pedals in the scooby good for it, but do it in everthing else I drive as second nature.

Learnt when I was 19 out of necessity (sp?) as my (old) car had failing oil pressure and if it dropped below 2500rpm the oil light came on Result new engine and new technique learnt

Just takes a bit of practice, just like the first couple of time you try left foot braking in an auto Good fun if powerful and driven with 2 feet like a kart, but that would be a whole different thread
Old 20 January 2006, 08:17 AM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
Not saying it's not a valid technique but just think of when it's raining at night and the feejit in front of you at the juction has got all three brake lights on - two side and centre / hi-vis and is blinding you. Then see how you like it...

Mind you, the current "couldn't give a flying **** about anybody else" attitude says you wouldn't be bothered when you're doing it...

/rant over /
Edited for one bad apple
Old 20 January 2006, 06:37 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Old 21 January 2006, 10:58 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

I practiced by just blipping my throttle before I released the clutch for a new gear when changing down on a straight...I soon found (in about 5 mins!) that I wanted to be able to brake as well so I just slid my foot across a little till the right edge of my foot could blip the throttle whilst the left edge was pushing down progressively and smoothely.....feels a damn sight nicer than the engine braking 'reeemmmhh' thing
Old 21 January 2006, 08:38 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
What about a simple double de-clutch? i.e brake, lift off break, clutch down and blip throttle , change down back on brake.
I don't think what you're describing is a double de-clutch.

Double de-clutch in my book is clutch in, select neutral, clutch out, rev, clutch in, select gear. Don't really see the need for it these days with syncro gears and I usually just blip like you describe. Nice for old cars with knackered gearboxes though
Old 22 January 2006, 09:17 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically, from the words of a master (Michael Schumacher) you dont need to toe/heel on a road car as they are not set up to do so, it will take you longer to do.
He did state on a F1 car they are set up to toe/heal though, now if he doesnt toe/heel on a road car, that tells you something!

Tony
Old 22 January 2006, 10:47 AM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

F1's a slightly different discipline from road use though, and let's face it, all Schumacher's cars are sequential and the blip is done automatically...

Surely the main benifit of heel-&-toeing in a rear or AWD (and FWD to a lesser extent) is that the braking affect of gear change doesn't affect the balance of the car when your already at it's limits, meaning you can brake later in a bend and change gear, without the transmission locking a wheel and causing a slide.
Old 22 January 2006, 10:56 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Basically, from the words of a master (Michael Schumacher) you dont need to toe/heel on a road car as they are not set up to do so, it will take you longer to do.
mmmh...don't really understand - what do you suppose he's doing on entering fast corners ?...without heel/toe when you drop a gear and brake into a corner when he lets the clutch out it's going to raise the revs considerably resulting in the car being 'sucked downward' at the front by the engine braking...then adding throttle is going to throw that weight to the back again (especially if your turbo spools up..) causing the front end to lift - this is a very unstable way to take a corner at speed

I don't know about anyone else but I'm always 'on throttle' ( even if literally just a tiny tiny bit) and 'on turbo' during a corner - heel and toe allows me to have the car braked and in the right gear for the corner and on throttle without any engine braking and the car setup and moving very smoothly through the turn in ready for the post apex application of my right foot....

Don't get me wrong I don't heel and toe into tesco's car park but high speed cornering..

Have I been doing something wrong - what does everyone else do ? What HAS the MASTER discovered that he's not revaling ?
Old 22 January 2006, 12:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm not sure what your doing there Flynn but it doesnt sound very stable to me!
You should be going into a corner , brake, change down, brake, off brake, enter corner, add power and drive though corner so you have control.
You sound like your going into and though the corner braking, which is quite unstable as you change the balance of front/rear when cornering (well thats what it looks like) which can lead to oversteer, not good in corners unless you like repair bills
The Michael Schumacher interview about him not doing toe/heel was on tv i think (was a while ago), but remember that toe/heel isnt a replacement, its an enhancement for a car set up to do so (which 99.9% of road cars are not) so you are acutally slower (plus get it wrong and all you do is put heat into your brakes if you give a bit of both brake/gas at the same time, which can also be a bad thing).

Tony

PS if you ever saw the F1 bit about braking at the very last point v progressive braking.... which one was quicker? )
Old 22 January 2006, 12:25 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Cheer Tony It does look that way doesn't it !!

No, I don't trail brake into the corner - I basically do what your suggesting aiming for as smooth a mechanical 'transaction' as I can. In my 911 I very quickly learnt to brake ONLY on the straights and to have my weight (and power) balanced before I entered the corner...Slow in - fast out...or as you say you'll be in the hedge row!

When I really wanted a very late 'brake' with the 911 a short stab on the brakes then a full power brake would allow me to load the weight up on the front wheels ( on the straight) and scrub off speed dramatically without lockup or skidding but I really haven't done enough driving in the scooby yet ( only 169 miles since run-in!) to know if this same technique will apply...I'm kind of thinking the abs will make this a no-no...do you do anything like this ?

thanks anyway..
Old 27 January 2006, 09:27 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I always do it on track, and usually on the road too, even in my pickup. You can usually adapt your posture even if the pedals aren't perfectly spaced, but the results on track, if you are doing it properly, speak for themselves.
Old 27 January 2006, 09:36 PM
MY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
I always do it on track, and usually on the road too, even in my pickup. You can usually adapt your posture even if the pedals aren't perfectly spaced, but the results on track, if you are doing it properly, speak for themselves.
Try it with a dodgy coil pack simon Had a good day non the less.

Last edited by MY93WRX; 27 January 2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 27 January 2006, 09:58 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Glad you enjoyed the run in the Touring car Drop me a txt tomorrow after you've been to ProSport and let me know the verdict. I bet you don't get out of there without some suspension, brakes, an ECU etc etc now you have the bug- and try to make it down tomorrow afternoon.
Old 28 January 2006, 01:31 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I do it all the time now, works great in the S2000 because of the rate of gear change.

Its quite easy when you get used to it. I make sure I focus on the braking first with normal foot position, then when the clutch goes in, pivot my heel onto the throttle and blip it.

I find it much easier to do when really going quick.

MB
Old 28 January 2006, 03:53 PM
Thomas Wainwright
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stainy

Double de-clutch in my book is clutch in, select neutral, clutch out, rev, clutch in, select gear. Don't really see the need for it these days with syncro gears and I usually just blip like you describe. Nice for old cars with knackered gearboxes though

This is correct. It's the way to go with when driving vintage cars.
Old 21 February 2006, 04:31 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stainy

That's certainly the technique for vintage cars but it has more to do with the lack of synchromesh than the condition of the gearbox.
I drive a variety of cars from modern to vintage and always double de-clutch on down changes. It's become a habit over the years. It's been useful on modern cars when the clutch cable has failed as I can continue driving. It also adds to smooth changes as does the throttle blip. Try changing into 1st gear at 20mph any other way. It will be a lot slower and feels bad for the gearbox as the synchromesh tries to speed up the gears.
When you have been double de-clutching for a few years (well decades actually), it becomes as natural and as fast as any other technique.

Quick Reply: Is Heal Toe braking necessary for modern cars on track days.