Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

Terminal understeer...

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2005, 05:53 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Terminal understeer...

Knockhill... hairpin.... braking hard... turning in under braking... still understeering (was wet mind...) new yoko's up front... lost a lot of time due to simply sliding... in the dry I don't have a problem.. car seems to sort it out... in the wet lol... nae chance...

Any tips on setup or technique ?
Old 27 September 2005, 07:13 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake earlier, turn in less aggressively
Old 28 September 2005, 10:48 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Yoko Pradas?.......very good in the dry but not very good in the wet....in fact terrible.
Try better tyres.
Old 28 September 2005, 05:15 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pappasmurf
Yoko Pradas?.......very good in the dry but not very good in the wet....in fact terrible.
Try better tyres.
I agree with you there... I have never had worse tires in the wet... in the dry OK... then again most tires *could be.. compared to the Yokos..
Old 28 September 2005, 09:18 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Try Toyo Proxies or Goodyear Eagles.
I have Eagles and am very pleased with them....exceptionally good in the wet and now i have an uprated rear whiteline anti roll bar and whiteline solid drop links all round with eibach sport springs along with a Roger Clark motorsport fast road use geometry/allignment setup, i get hardly any understeer, turns in beautifully and corners flat.
In fact i've even had the back end wobble a bit on a couple of occasions.

Classic UK turbo MY00
Old 29 September 2005, 02:25 AM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

proxes arent amazing... had T1R's fitted all round... good in the dry but pretty average in the wet...maybe i am too used to 4wd but i was expecting a difference from my P-zero's and there wasnt any.
Old 29 September 2005, 09:28 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Go for Goodyear eagles then.....love the wet.
Old 29 September 2005, 05:32 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pappasmurf
Go for Goodyear eagles then.....love the wet.
TBH I'm going to be close to the need a track set of wheels as the last two outings (before I got the Yokies) thrashed the sidewalls. Might opt for day to day good all rounders & dedicated track tires with an old set of rims.. not 100% but I suppose you can't have everything.
Old 30 September 2005, 02:06 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Turning in under braking, theres your problem, a lot of the grip from your front tyres is being used to slow the car down, then there's not enough left to turn it hence the understeer

If you are having to brake in a corner, then youv'e approached the corner too fast

Slower in faster out is the fastest way round a corner
Old 30 September 2005, 02:59 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

subarus tend to like about 1/4 - 1/3 power on during turn in (try it and see!) - caterhams on the other hand like being on the brakes for turn in
Old 30 September 2005, 04:52 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

I used to do all my braking in a straight line then turn in, however after an outing @ knockill with instructor was told to brake into corner... guess it will take time..
Old 30 September 2005, 10:26 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

it depends on the corner surely? A long sweeping corner that tightens will require brakes all the way in, whereas a hairpin will need a nice straight brake and gentle power through and then full throttle out, and so on...
Old 30 September 2005, 10:33 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tath
it depends on the corner surely? A long sweeping corner that tightens will require brakes all the way in, whereas a hairpin will need a nice straight brake and gentle power through and then full throttle out, and so on...
indeed, will take time to learn.
Old 01 October 2005, 12:10 AM
Moray
Scooby Regular

learn to drive theres your answer Want anymore constructive input?
Old 01 October 2005, 07:51 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moray
learn to drive theres your answer Want anymore constructive input?
Old 11 October 2005, 01:31 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a classic case of poor brake bias. Impreza's have too much front bias for this. In the dry, the weight transfer helps sort things out but this doesn't happen in the wet so the car understeers. It also takes longer to stop so you are loosing time there as well.
There are a number of areas where you can help dial this out. The most obvious is variable brake bias. However, that's complicated and best left alone. Another easier way is a tyre mix. Basically, grippy fronts and less acpable tyres on the rear. Finding the right balance is a time consuming operation though. Perhaps a number of friends can help out by loaning wheels. Tyre wear is less of a problem in the wet.
Tyres can make big balance changes. Smaller changes can be achieved by varying tyre pressures. You could try dropping the rears by a few psi.
Geometry changes may help. More font negative camber for example. However, this aproach may give too much dry oversteer. Adjustable front camber?
Old 13 October 2005, 08:43 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John 37
It's a classic case of poor brake bias. Impreza's have too much front bias for this. In the dry, the weight transfer helps sort things out but this doesn't happen in the wet so the car understeers. It also takes longer to stop so you are loosing time there as well.
There are a number of areas where you can help dial this out. The most obvious is variable brake bias. However, that's complicated and best left alone. Another easier way is a tyre mix. Basically, grippy fronts and less acpable tyres on the rear. Finding the right balance is a time consuming operation though. Perhaps a number of friends can help out by loaning wheels. Tyre wear is less of a problem in the wet.
Tyres can make big balance changes. Smaller changes can be achieved by varying tyre pressures. You could try dropping the rears by a few psi.
Geometry changes may help. More font negative camber for example. However, this aproach may give too much dry oversteer. Adjustable front camber?
Thanks,
Old 19 October 2005, 04:54 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Just drive the car and stop complaining about bull****

Originally Posted by John 37