Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

LFB'ing in a 4WD.

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2005, 04:31 PM
Mark C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LFB'ing in a 4WD.

I currently rally in a front wheel drive car and use LFB'ing alot and to good effect.

Ignoring the wieght transfer part of it, does LFB'ing in a 4WD car work on the same principal, i.e. slowing the rear wheels whilst still driving the front to enable the rear wheels to 'slip'?

Or does it work the oppostie, i.e. less brake bias on the rear than the front so spinning the rear wheels up to get power oversteer?

I hope that makes sense!
Thanks,
Mark.
Old 20 June 2005, 12:48 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I used it (on the road) to reduce understeer coming round corners. Very gentle application of the brakes along with the accellerator allowed me to build up boost so you could exit corners a lot faster. But that was with my old UK car which was more front wheel drive biased (so understeered) than my current scooby which is more likely to oversteer.
Old 20 June 2005, 03:43 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

I thought LFB was only really effective if the car was set up to exploit it (ie brake balance to the rear increased).On a normal road car surely the effectiveness of LFB is hampered by the brake bias being front loaded?
But I don't know!?
Old 20 June 2005, 08:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the idea is to hold the brakes down on the front, which helps send the power to the rear wheels?
Old 21 June 2005, 09:52 AM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi Gents

LFB has a number of "properties", but probably the most notable in a 4WD turbo car such as the scooby are the the weight transfer and boost effects.

Mark

It's a different technique to a FWD rally car. You obviously run a lot more rear bias on a 4WD rally car than you do on a 4WD road car, but not as much as a FWD rally car.

Where as in a FWD rally car you can truly use the brake completely independantly of the gas, just about 100% of the time, in a 4WD rally car, you'll end up being very slow if you do that.

In 4WD you mainly use LFB for quick and precise weight transfer mid bend / to change direction quickly, and to maintain boost on a non anti-lag car.

In a road car, you could use it for balance - maybe the odd "confidence dab" on fast bends if you're so inclined - and for maintaining boost.

There are plenty of other ways you can use it.. one of the more extreme is the ability to control the car quickly and accurately whilst airborne.. but with a bit of luck none of us have that to consider on the road

All the best

Simon