Notices
Driving Dynamics Driving techniques (trail braking, power slides, donuts, scandinavian flicks, etc), and vehicle dynamics (roll centres, c/g weigh transfer, etc)

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2005, 08:05 AM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN THE BACKEND LETS GO AS I CANT SEEM TO GET IT BACK
Old 03 February 2005, 11:30 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Erm, a little more information might help. Like what car you have, when does the backend let go and what you have tried so far to 'get it back'

From what I know,

In a scooby with a viscous centre diff you basically just point the front wheels where you want to go and press the accelerator, and the car sorts it all out for you.

In a scooby with DCCD its more like a rear wheel drive car and unless your quick at catching slides then it will probably result in a spin.

Dave.
Old 03 February 2005, 04:55 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

Default help

[QUOTE=DaveW]Erm, a little more information might help. Like what car you have, when does the backend let go and what you have tried so far to 'get it back'

sorry,my mate has a 99 wagon,he was probaly going too fast too catch me saw he was coming up behind me and lifted off resulting in the spin.What he wants to know is how he can catch the spin before it went too far.he said he drove it like a rear wheel drive.hes only had the car 2 mths.needs some hints.ive never had this problem with the rear end of mine.i only suffer with understeer,which im told is inherrant with scoobys.

thanks.chris
Old 16 March 2005, 02:59 PM
dmnbrm
Scooby Regular

you need to go full throttle,or change down if in a high gear,steer into the skid,when you feel the back is in a slide ease off the throttle gently and the car will drift back to centre gravity,as the car drifts back remember to apply opposite lock otherwise you will fishtail all over the road,

best thing to do is go to a large car park and practise so when the **** does go,you will know what it feels like and how you need to react

Originally Posted by chris dt
Old 16 March 2005, 09:00 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

sounds like classic "lift off" oversteer, guess he was cornering to some degree at the time.............unfortunately the answer to this is to look further ahead and pre-empt the situation..................

alyn
Old 17 March 2005, 04:41 PM
mal
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chris dt
Diocalm does it for me.
Old 17 March 2005, 10:49 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The biggest mistake people tend to make when a 4wd starts to drift is that they steer in to the slide as you would in a rear wheel drive car. If you do this in a 4wd car and power on whilst on opposite lock, as the front wheels grip the car will turn violently the way you are steering. So, if your 4wd car steps out sideways maintain a balanced throttle a neutral steering position and technically the car should come back in to line.
Old 19 March 2005, 07:48 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Book yourself for a driving course at MIRA or an airfield with wet handling facility and learn what you have to do...
Old 19 March 2005, 09:45 PM
M3 Compact
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
The biggest mistake people tend to make when a 4wd starts to drift is that they steer in to the slide as you would in a rear wheel drive car. If you do this in a 4wd car and power on whilst on opposite lock, as the front wheels grip the car will turn violently the way you are steering. So, if your 4wd car steps out sideways maintain a balanced throttle a neutral steering position and technically the car should come back in to line.
Agreed.

I've always used RWD, recently I bought a WRX, I've found it very hard to discipline myself not to use too much opposite lock, when deliberately driving out of line.

The only way I can find is practice, then practice some more, then some more, then buy some more tyres, then practice some more.

It just feels sooooo wrong to be keeping it lit without winding the opposite lock on, but it does work.

Simon.

BMW Rallying.com