Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

impreza classic turbo 97 r reg prop shaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2013, 05:50 PM
jawiimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impreza classic turbo 97 r reg prop shaft seal

my impreza turbo has started leaking gear oil from the seal on the gearbox were the prop shaft goes in,,never done one before, am guessing it pops out and new one pushis in ? thanks
Old 10 July 2013, 12:58 AM
jawiimpreza
Scooby Regular

thanks for the help ,bump
Old 11 July 2013, 01:02 PM
94legturbo
Scooby Regular

I have never done one either, but have a gearbox out of the car so had a quick look and it certainly *looks* like it would just pull out and pop back in, yes.

Have you ever done a front/rear crank shaft seal or cam seal? It looks like the same type. So once you've removed your prop I would have thought access would be ok.

Old 12 July 2013, 02:06 AM
jawiimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94legturbo
I have never done one either, but have a gearbox out of the car so had a quick look and it certainly *looks* like it would just pull out and pop back in, yes.

Have you ever done a front/rear crank shaft seal or cam seal? It looks like the same type. So once you've removed your prop I would have thought access would be ok.

cheers mate i change it to day,but the old seal looked ok, used a big stunt peg off a bmx to put it in,,av got a funn feeling its still leaking as i can smell burning oil dripping on the exhaust but this could be the oil thats still on exhaust from when it leaked, am going to check again to morror and clean the oil off,,just hope the box doesnt have a crack near there
Old 12 July 2013, 09:25 AM
94legturbo
Scooby Regular

In my experience burning oil on the exhaust smell is much more likely to be a rocker cover gasket or something further forward dripping onto the exhaust. I also had a smell when my rear crank seal leaked and I think it started to coat my downpipe in oil which then burnt off.

What was it that made you think it was transmission oil? Was it leaving a puddle?
Old 12 July 2013, 02:36 PM
jawiimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94legturbo
In my experience burning oil on the exhaust smell is much more likely to be a rocker cover gasket or something further forward dripping onto the exhaust. I also had a smell when my rear crank seal leaked and I think it started to coat my downpipe in oil which then burnt off.

What was it that made you think it was transmission oil? Was it leaving a puddle?
hi,, i seen it dripping like mad from where the prop goes in and it was dripping on the exhaust there,,,rockers are ok,checked gearbox oil to day and its ok, but am still smelling burning oil but it could just be the oil thats left over frm when it was leaking...cheers