Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

WR Sport Backbox

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 02:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was heading out of Tesco’s car park today when I heard a lovely distinct flat 4 burble - Looked round and sure enough it was Scooby. The exhaust note was just the way I like it with a perfect burble to loudness ratio. <Stalker Mode on> I approached the poor unsuspecting driver and asked him what the backbox is. He said it was fitted by a Subaru dealership (suggesting it’s a prodrive item) but it didn’t look like the normal PPP back box. It was slightly oval like a magnex and had WR Sport written on it.

My question is what is it, where can you get it, how much is it, and how does it compare for performance and noise to the other backboxes available (scoobysport, etc).

Thanks chaps.

P.S. The guy was dead friendly and happy to help BTW.
Old 20 May 2002, 02:08 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We had one on our MY01, got it from the dealer which was Cheam Motors. It does have a nice burble

We sold it when we replaced the whole system with a Scoobysport full decat for in yer face louder burbling

Sal
Old 20 May 2002, 02:25 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

The WRSport and PPP BB's are the same other than the PPP one which is a 3" round stamped with Prodrive and the WRS which is a 6x4 oval stamped with, surprisingly, WRSport

As you say, they have a nice burble at low revs but when they get above 4000rpm they have this strange whoosing/roaring sound (which personally, I prefer to the full decat drone!)

I think they are about the same in performance terms without some of the noise. They cost £350 from a dealer but they do come up for sale from time to time.....

Matt
Old 20 May 2002, 02:27 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

I meant to say we sold ours for £175 but left out the for £175 bit It was about 3 months old.
Old 20 May 2002, 03:08 PM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a dealer fitted WR Sport on mine - I perfer it to the SS back box, its a little quieter and more understated!
Old 20 May 2002, 10:34 PM
Ian R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Saxo Boy

Just had a WRSport back box fitted today , I was looking for something that was not too intrusive but able to flaunt that flat 4 burble. . .now I have it . . so go for it!!!!

[Edited by Ian R - 5/20/2002 10:35:41 PM]
Old 20 May 2002, 10:37 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

The WR Sport backbox does not 'whoosh' like the round tailpipe Prodrive box. I have the WR Sport and was unsure about buying one initially as I too dis-like the 'whoosh'. Spoke to Mike Wood at Prodrive who confirmed they are different internally and do not 'whoosh'. Bought one and love it. Not as loud as the Scoobysport one that I replaced (which is what I was after) and has the lowest sounding burble I have heard.

Very happy with it indeed .

Otis.
Old 20 May 2002, 11:19 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

The 2 backboxes are indeed different (just to confirm what the man at Prodrive said........I'll get my coat... )

I had a WR backbox for a while and recently replaced it with a PPP round one. The PPP one is quieter at idle and under power it does make a nice sound (as well as that wierd whoosing noise - which I like). The WR is more noticable at idle and makes an good noise under power too. When I decatted the whole system it became a bit too loud (not for me but for Mrs H ). Not as loud as a Scoobysport BB I hasten to add!

For an otherwise standard car, the WR backbox is an excellent addition
Old 21 May 2002, 01:41 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Saxoboy

I looks like you are adding up to my ideal future package upgrade for the Scoob, which is NOT a PPP.

The WR box is IMHO the best sounding that I have heard and doesn't have the whoosh noise that I didn't like. Link that to a Magnex resonated centre and SS DP, add a Dawes and K+N panel filter then your car will fly! You can then move to ECUTEK for the complete PPP bashing package for a lot less dosh

F
Old 21 May 2002, 03:39 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

It must be said the WR Sport back box was the first change I made to the car. At the time I loved the noise it generated, especially over the twin pipe that was standard.

I then got PPP for the car and the lost the WR Sport (sold it kind of) for the Prodrive backbox. I then thought this was louder and liked the look a bit more.

Um.. then I went silly and got the HKS Hiper Ti-Tip which looks over the top (4.5" hole), sounds fantastic with a very refined burble at idle and roars while under load.

If ou a looking for a simple mod to the exhaust then the WR Sport backbox is nice, but for that money you could also look at backboxes from TSL, which are a little bit more throaty!
Old 21 May 2002, 03:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if the WR Sport would not be quite vivid enough for you Saxoboy? Do you not fancy something a lot louder and freer flowing?
Old 21 May 2002, 04:09 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

he hasnt even got a scoob yet hehe
Old 21 May 2002, 07:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Nope, I'm not a big fan of cars that are too loud don't like the attention (why am I getting a scooby?????). John I actually thought the sounds your car made was about right, nice and burbly at low speeds and even sweeter when under load.....very nice mate. I do love the sound of the big bore jap exhausts but I couldn't live with them everyday.
Old 21 May 2002, 07:39 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

To be honest the HKS doesn't seem all that obtrusive in the cabin. The road noise kills it to a degree and then you get used to it and tune it out.

It must be said I still love seeing people staring at it when they are behind be at traffic lights!

Turned it such a tart!