Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

New Hybrid TD04L turbo tested on MY00

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2002, 05:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have been running a new TD04L hybrid sorted out for me by Mark Aigin (R19KET) and built by Turbo Dynamics for the last three weeks. Fitting by John Harley (T-uk), Andy Forrest (Cosie Convert) and myself. At the same time we ported the OEM manifold and put an EGT probe in before the manifold joins the up-pipe. This turbo may be marketed in the near future - pricing still to be set but it will be competitive. I have been testing it on my car.

It has a new compressor wheel, and cut back blades on the exhaust side. In terms of overall performance it seems quite like a VF24/28, but it is always difficult to get exact flow data for a hybrid. It is specced to run 1.5 bar (21.8 PSI).

I have tested it to this level on my lightly modded MY00 (Magnex downpipe, PPP/STi centre, PPP backbox, ITG panel filter).

I had it at 21 PSI held boost dropping to 17 at 6000, 15.5 at 7000 RPM. Intake temperatures doing this were comparable to running original turbo at 19 PSI midrange, dropping to 14.5 at 6000. It reaches 20 PSI at about 2700 RPM in top gear - the original was about 200 RPM earlier so not a massive change in boost threshold, but it holds on up to 1500 RPM later than the standard turbo for similar boost, and the airflow sensor shows considerable increases

When I was down at PE Ecutek mapping last weekend the power and torque figures were 285-291 BHP and lbft, with 200-204 at the wheels. Whilst PE figures are highish, the torque and power at wheels in particular I am pleased with.

On the road it was similar in the midrange to Stephen Done's car which has made over 300 BHP and lbft on a cooler day with his carefully remapped ECU and manifold, and a bit perkier at the top end. When logging my in gear times were only fractionally quicker if at all, but over 5500 RPM I was backing off slightly when following him so that I was not getting too close. This was however running 21 PSI with a Dawes and my own fuel cut lifter and he was running about 3-4 PSI less boost on the standard turbo but with a manifold. So it works well on the standard ECU with no knock retard whatsoever, rich fuelling, nice injector duty cycles even on the original fuel pump. It is impressive how much difference a manifold makes, but it is considerably more expensive.

It does benefit considerably from a remap - we added a lot of torque low down by adding fuel and advance, and gained at the top end by taking off some fuel. This resulted in identical peak power and torque but fatter curves for running 2 PSI less boost which felt sensible in the hotter weather when I had to drive 440 miles home that night.

Now I have been remapping it a bit more and I have settled on a held figure of 20 PSI for road use and it is really nice - I will need to see what it does on track - I will need to run a bit less boost I think. The EGTs are still very cool (740 C is the highest I have seen in the headers) and the intake temperatures stay below 45 degrees on the road on hottish days.

It is not noticeably laggier than the standard turbo - though boost comes in a bit later, the airflow seems almost as good, but if you are not looking at gauges you couldn't split them low down. It is very sweet indeed between 4000 and 6000 RPM where the original turbo was really lacking. In fact I am now favouring bringing on the boost more slowly so the torque follows the boost more closely with less choking sensation low down - but I could not get the turbo to hit the surge line.

At some point I'll get some photos up showing the two turbos side by side. But I can strongly recommend this turbo for a fast road car, even on the standard ECU, although it does work much better with a remap (but I am bound to say that - seriously it does).

Hope this is interesting.

[Edited by john banks - 5/17/2002 5:48:58 PM]
Old 17 May 2002, 07:22 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a certain EVO driver should watch his mirrors at the next track day
Old 17 May 2002, 09:27 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the rundown John - sounds good

Are you still running with the Dawes on? Is there anyway to turn up the boost without a device like a Dawes or a bleed valve?

btw - three/four weeks into the Dawes and it's still holding the same PSI - I was expecting it to need tighting again after a week

Richard.
Old 17 May 2002, 09:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I should know how to fit a Dawes properly by now

No the Dawes is on Chris Carswell's car now. Can I adjust the boost? Oh yes, lots of lovely maps
Old 18 May 2002, 01:10 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
John, this sounds excellent - just what I'm after

So I'm clear, the turbo is the standard TD04L as on a UK99/00 car with hybrid innards, and a standard ECU that's been given the TEK-3 remap treatment, plus rolling-road tweaks to match your inlet and exhaust mods?

What peak torque and bhp revs? Any chance of a graph? What fuel?

Will the turbo be available as an exchange unit do you know?

Many thanks Mr Spin Doctor

Richard.
Old 18 May 2002, 01:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Yes from your earlier post I reckon so

The original rolling road tweaks were small but got me to about 290 lbft and BHP. Now I reckon it is over 300.

Peak torque was at about 3100, peak power just at about 5800, but I have changed things a lot since.

Fuel was SUL + 2.2 RON from 1ml/L NF = 99.2 RON my usual.

It will be an exchange.

You can use my map as a base of course

Old 18 May 2002, 01:45 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

John

Did you modify the up pipe or leave it std?

Did you use new Subaru manifold gaskets?

Some details of the EGT probe and fitment method would be welcome also.

F

Old 18 May 2002, 02:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Unchanged manifold and uppipe gaskets, new turbo gaskets supplied with turbo. New fuel pump fitted.

EGT as a 3mm x 15cm K-type thermocouple from RS - details in an earlier thread with a BSPT tapered tap, spot welded in place onto a flat section of the manifold just before the joint to the uppipe.
Old 18 May 2002, 09:53 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
That's good enough for me Been watching JB's threads for ages and while I've never been completely comfortable with the Dawes MBC this kit is just too much to resist

I will have a hybrid TD04L turbo as soon as Mark (R19KET) can supply, and John Banks has agreed to re-map my ECU.

Inlet and exhaust on my car are effectively identical to JB's so I reckon I'm in for a treat

I'll keep you posted

Best regards,

Richard.
Old 19 May 2002, 12:38 PM
Mr J
Scooby Regular

What fuel pump did you fit john ??

/Jan
Old 19 May 2002, 01:37 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is the Walbro one I got it from Mark Aigin (R19KET) - there were some posts in drivetrain a few weeks back with details.