Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Lightweight flywheel worthwhile???

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2012, 09:53 PM
benny8ball
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight flywheel worthwhile???

I need to change the clutch in my 1996 WRX and am tempted to do the flywheel at the same time whilst it is apart. I have read various posts, and a lot say if the flywheel is not changed or skimmed the new clutch will judder.

Is this fact or fiction? Surely if I do not have judder now I cant have afterwards?

I have been trying to understand once and for all if a lightweight flywheel will offer any real advantage. I have read you are more likely to stall it when pulling away, but not actually seen anyone with one fitted say "wow made a big difference to performance".

Is there anyone out there with one fitted who can testify a lightweight flywheel is actually worthwhile please?
Old 15 August 2012, 11:47 AM
Evo Bizz
Scooby Regular

I have an API lightened standard flywheel in mine and it has made a big difference, at the same time I also fitted a Perrin lightweight crank pulley.

Yes you do need a few more revs to pull away but you soon get used to it. The car will be more responsive and nicer to drive.
Old 16 August 2012, 12:24 PM
benny8ball
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response!

Do you know how much they lightened the standard flywheel by?
Old 16 August 2012, 12:53 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

From memory they can only machine an OEM flywheel down to around 7.5/8kgs before it becomes too weak.

If you go with an aftermarket flywheel they are designed to do the job from the start, are stronger and can go much lighter
Old 16 August 2012, 12:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Some customer reviews on our Exedy pink box racing organic clutches with lightweight forged flywheels:

---Quote (Originally by scatty)---
got mine from aztec.....difference in weight is unbelievable...
---End Quote---
---Quote (Originally by sprigeteer)---
The engine was quicker to gain speed and there was a sense of reduced initial inertia. Definitely easier to stall, but not to the extent that it affected driveability - you just need to drive it more carefully and apply more forthought. I fitted the one from the Aztec website, not sure if it was alloy/forged etc.

I think the bite point is laible to change on any clutch work, mine did, slightly, but not in a bad way. I went for the flywheel at the same time as it seemed like a good mod that could be done with minimal labour costs as th clutch was coming out anyways. In my opinion it did make the car respond better under accelleration and well worth replacing a worn/less performance oriented part.

Hope this helps.
---End Quote---
---Quote (Originally by Ramsay1602)---
Clutch and flywheel from Aztec Performance has been great and still going strong! thanks again, great service!!
---End Quote---

---Quote (Originally by madscoob)---
got mine a package from aztec . noticed the difference on the way home from mates garage . a lot crisper throttle responce and revs a lot quicker in each gear as you go up the box . also no judder at all with the anti judder exedy clutch , very smooth changes . apart from the vf35 i picked up off a mate for 50quid its the best money ive spent on the scoob
---End Quote---

Too many to list them all. Our most popular packages. Once you have fitted a lightweight forged flywheel you will never look back.
Old 31 August 2012, 10:01 PM
Scooby140876
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by benny8ball
Thanks for the response!

Do you know how much they lightened the standard flywheel by?
I have had lightweight flywheel and fast road exeedy from graham Goode in Leicester I think for the two items it was about £416 flywheel weight I think was about 5kgs and it made a nice improvement in launch, accelerating and drive in general highly recommended
If you ring graham Goode ask for Andy Girling
Hope this helps you
Old 31 August 2012, 10:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The wording is a little naughty on their advertisements stating "Exedy Performance Clutch" and "Genuine high performance sports 3 piece clutch kit from EXEDY". The part numbers for the clutch kits are in fact for standard OEM clutches (FJK2022 as advertised).

For that price it will be a standard Exedy OEM clutch kit + lightweight flywheel. We sell that package for £389.99.
Old 31 August 2012, 10:43 PM
benny8ball
Scooby Regular

A friend I spoke to today about the lightened flywheels suggested that they can effect the way a car idles, and that it can cause them to "hunt". Has anyone experienced this?
Old 31 August 2012, 10:51 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

In my own first hand experience the flywheel only causes the idle to hunt when first fitted (and that was a very light flywheel). After that the ECU sorts itself out and idles normally thereafter.

If people's cars were idling badly as a result of fitting a lightweight flywheel there wouldn't be the reviews in post 5.