Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Extreme Vibration - Shaking Violently!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2012, 12:38 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Vibration - Shaking Violently!!!!!

I have just finished installing BC coilovers and a Whiteline Roll Centre adjustment kit, which includes tie rod ends and bottom balljoints to my 97 JDm STi.

Before I did this job I was getting bad vibration on the front drivers wheel, which I knew was a knackered bearing.

I changed the entire hub assembly and driveshaft on that side of the car. These are used items.

I now have extreme vibration throughout the whole of the front of the car. When I say extreme I mean the whole car is shaking violently at the front on both sides!!!!! Its that bad the the door mirrors look like they are about to fall off!!

Brakes look fine, discs are not warped etc.

This vibration will dissapear when the car is going round a fairly tight bend, no vibration, but as soon as the steering wheel hits centre again the vibration is back and still severe.

This vibration starts to occur at any speed above 20 mph. Vibration becomes faster with more speed so its almost certainly a rotational problem.

I have read that wheels could be an issue, these are not standard wheels so I will check them for proper seating. But I would have thought that if the wheels were not seated properly then the vibration would still be apparent when going round tight'ish bends.

Any thoughts on this?

I posted the video below a few weeks ago but got little response.

Both front driveshafts move like this and I am not sure if this is supposed to be happening, maybe this is a contributing factor?

[youtube]cWYY6GxMuNQ[/youtube]

I will post this in the suspension section also as I am not sure if this is a drivetrain or suspension issue! Thanks
Old 26 June 2012, 06:44 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Well I have discovered that one of the wheels is buckled so I put a different wheel on. This has not made one ounce of difference. Vibration from the front is still very severe.

I have just ordered brand new driveshafts and wheel bearings for the front.

I am about to go out and check the engine and gearbox mounts for any excessive movements.

If new shafts, bearings and the mounts are OK then I am clueless as to whats causing this.

Like I said above I have just fitted new tie rod ends and ball joints, soits not those, although the white line ball joint was not a tight fit into the hub as the original one but I can see that being the cause.

Just thought that it might have something to do with the steering rack so I will check that and probably order some new bushes for the rack for good measure.

Any other possibilities?
Old 26 June 2012, 08:33 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

More likely that you my have two bent wheels on the front???
Old 27 June 2012, 01:50 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Its possible I suppose but looking at them visually while the car was up in the air with the wheels spinning it was quite obvious that the one wheel was buckled.
Old 27 June 2012, 05:12 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

It could even be one of the rears, people generally think that vibration coming through the front is related to a front wheel but a knackered rear wheel or inbalance also gives the same feeling. Check the rear wheel on the same side as the knackered front one, as stated before you could have 2 knackered wheels.

To be fair, just check them all, doesn't cost anything and at least you'll be sure before you start spending big money.

I bought a set of wheels for my old ST200 and one of the wheels was badly buckled, didn't matter where I placed it on the car it still shook like ****!
Old 27 June 2012, 05:16 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

As for the end float in your driveshafts I wouldn't have thought they would contribute to the shaking your getting, unless they had any up and down side to side play?