Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Whats the trick to fitting...

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2002, 04:56 PM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the vertical rubber pipe three inches below the turbo? I have just got around to fitting a new turbo and could not see how to reconnect the rubber hose at the bottom to the attached metal pipe (presumably an oil return?) so its just kind of jammed in, but not clipped on properly.

Also tried to fit a samco induction pipe at the same time, and that was a nightmare! In the last 3 days i have fitted a complete set of ledas, the new turbo and the sets of samco hoses and can honestly say that the induction pipe was the worst and took the longest, and is still not right! I had to loosen the inlet manifold just to try to get enough space, next time I would just take the whole thing off. I may yet have to, as there is a big kink in the samco just as it goes into the turbo, like the pipe is 10mm too long? I am also not convinced about the outlet sizes on many of the pipes, but presumably its a UK/STI thing..

Gareth
Old 22 April 2002, 10:53 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Gareth

If you cable tie the upper retaining clip of the oil drain pipe open, you can position the turbo onto the pipe and then lift the clip into place and cut the tie off. Make sure that this pipe is perfect or the oil will not return to the sump.

You have to remove the inlet manifold to fit the intake pipe. We don't fit these, as there have been cases of the pipe collapsing under vacuum and restricting the flow at high boost. Samco may now have a modified pipe to overcome this.
Old 22 April 2002, 12:30 PM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

Thanks pete, I thought about bits of string etc, but only after I had bolted everything down, and I needed the car back for a couple of days. Will have to take it off and have another go.

The comment about the intake is a little worrying. I may get a helix style bit of wire (like a slinky) or something inserted to cure that. Only running 1.2 to 1.3 bar anyway.

Its the first time I have done these jobs, and next time will just start by stripping everything off from the get go. Probably a lot easier in the long run but you only learn from experience and scraped knuckles.

Gareth