Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ITG panel Filters - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2002, 10:33 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this has been done before but I've seen mixed review ranging from great to 'never again' because of all the goo stuff that comes out of 'em.
Want to be sure before getting one!
(for 02wrx +ppp)
Old 16 April 2002, 10:28 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Talking

Hi,

I've not heard of any problems with the filters and, to date not had any returned - only ever had positive feedback from our customers!

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk
Old 16 April 2002, 11:54 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Think the goo relates to the RamAir filters.
Think they were over-oiled for a period & that led to many contaminated MAF sensors.
Think Prodrive changed from using them to using ITG now so that tells you something.
Having said that - I had a RamAir filter in my STi for 2 years with no problem at all.
Changed it recently for an ITG

Ro.
Old 16 April 2002, 12:52 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Well, mine's gone. Loads'a green goo in the little box the sticky sponge lives in. Didn't look too good to me
Old 16 April 2002, 12:54 PM
James_PowerMad
Scooby Regular

My ITG filter seems fine, but then again I can't say that I noticed any bit of difference to the car's performance (MY98).

I strongly believe that there is a great deal of exageration made about many of the so called 'performance upgrades'. It's bad when the part manufacturers and dealers over-hype their products, but we Scoobynet'ters have the chance to give honest reports of the usefulness of these products / modification excercises to each other. This saves us all money, time and potential let-down.

In my opinion...

ITG - You probably won't notice it being there

Oh yes, Optimax... I've been running on Optimax for months, and switched back to Unleaded last fill-up. My car seems to run loads better! Perhaps the car just likes a change of diet!

I just really hope that the claims for the SS SP are not exagerated, 'cos I just got one, and I'm fitting it next weekend!

BTW. The SS website lists the DP at £180 +VAT, and confirmed this when I ordered, but charged me £190 +VAT. I phoned to query, and they said that the price had been £190 for a few months, but the website had not been updated. Anyone else got one in the last few weeks? What did they charge you?
Old 16 April 2002, 12:56 PM
nadger
Scooby Regular

I was charged 190+VAT for a SS DP last week
Old 16 April 2002, 01:54 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

I've ordered an ITG panel filter for my UK300 which should be delivered today. I ordered this from Scoobyworld who have a deal on at the moment. I must say thanks to Neil at scoobyworld and Jamie at Performance Exhausts for their help and advice.
I'll let you know if I notice any difference.

Steven
Old 16 April 2002, 02:14 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

That's no problem Steven!

I'm glad I could help!

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
www.performanceexhausts.net
Old 16 April 2002, 02:22 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Talking

Hi folks,

whilst we're on the subject of ITG's there have been quite a few posts recently regarding fitting the ITG's (how to!)

To help with this we're preparing an install guide with digi pics -it'll be easy to follow and hopefully help out anyone else trying to fit one.

It'll be the first of many guides covering our main products.

If anyone would like to help with future install guides please let us know.

Neil

www.scoobyworld.co.uk

Old 17 April 2002, 06:35 PM
Kev S
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoobypig,

So you've got your PPP at last. Hope you're pleased. Sorry I missed you at the Big One. I lost you whilst buying stickers from Salsa King. Then the next thing I knew they were all off on the drive out so I quickly tagged along.

On the question of PPP. Mine as you know is a MY01 with PPP. I took delivery of my ITG on Saturday from Scoobyworld. Excelent service and good price at the mo. I fitted it immediately and have covered a good few miles since, (Derby to Reading return Tuesday). I must say I can tell. Some of this maybe due to the fact my paper element was well clogged having covered 12,000 miles, but I'm very happy.

On fuel I have used Optimax since my PPP was fitted last September and recently switched to normal Super Unleaded and my car seems much happier on this. Maybe this is due to the fact that the ECU is setup for Super Unleaded.

Hope this helps.

Kev S

Old 17 April 2002, 08:46 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Kev

Good to hear you liked our service - we aim to please!

We also found a marked improvement with the ITG in our MY00 Impreza Turbo - definately worth the money IMHO.

cheers

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk

Old 17 April 2002, 09:54 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Question

Are Prodrive really using ITG filters in the new PPP ?????
Old 18 April 2002, 04:46 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

OK. I got an ITG panel filter in the post today for my Sport. Can anyone give me instructions on how to fit the blighter. Bit of a techie Newbie.
BTW Cheers to Scooby World for the speedy deliery.

Steve
Old 18 April 2002, 07:28 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve,

I would imagine your Sports engine bay is the same layout as a Turbo, so these instructions should help http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=84640

Here's some pics to help

The air box is the large black plastic box on the left-hand side

Remove the two metal clips holding the lid down. I also removed some of the hosing around the box just to get better access.

Try to get the filter into the top box. I tried putting it into the bottom one first, but struggled to get the lid over it. Also make sure the base of the lid is fitted correctly.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 4/18/2002 7:47:27 PM]
Old 18 April 2002, 08:22 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, I was just sorting a picture myself. IE is this where it goes?

I tried this and it appears the filter is too big! Scooby World have ben very helpful and are sorting this as we speak.

Steve
Old 18 April 2002, 08:24 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Sorry forgot to say thanks for all the help. This is a top site!

Steve
Old 18 April 2002, 10:23 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Yeah, it should go there. The Sport must have a smaller air box then :O

You learn something new everyday. Maybe you could fit an Induction kit instead?

K&N 57i or APS seems to get a thumbs-up.

Hope you get things sorted,
Stefan
Old 21 April 2002, 09:22 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Kev, yes i finally got the PPP.
I wasn't expecting huge increases in power but I am stunned by the transformation.
It's definately louder than just the wr box on my prev 01wrx
It now goes like a rocket and for the first time when flooring it I've felt the need for stiffer suspension and better brakes, it feels like 25% more power...
Also i can now hear the dump valve as others have said.
All i can say to those who feel it's little different with a ppp is it can't be set up properly.
As for the ITG i think i'll give it a miss until my OE one needs replacing.
Cheers
ps can't wait to get it on a rolling road.
Old 22 April 2002, 01:30 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Fitted the ITG filter at the weekend. Definately feels a lot smoother in low gears and seems to pull better all the way up to red line.
Old 22 April 2002, 02:06 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Please do NOT follow Ozzy's instructions.

The filter will not be correctly located, allowing unfiltered air into the engine and/or causing disturbance at the MAF, giving false fuel readings.

1) Use a screwdriver to undo the two jubilee clips that hold on the flexible pipe between the MAF and the intake section that runs under the manifold.

2) Un plug the vent pipe from the underside of this flexible hose (UK cars - 99 only) and remove the flexible intake pipe.

3) Un plug the wiring to the MAF and the hoses located on the top of the airbox.

4) Unclip the airbox lid and slide the lid down towards the engine.

5) Remove old filter and seat the new filter in the airbox, ensuring that it correctly located on the shelf around the edge.

6) Locate the lid on the lugs at the engine end and slide the lid away from the engine. The lid can need squeezing down onto the box so that the lugs engage. Refix the two clips.

Reverse steps 3 to 1.

Pre 97 cars have a bolted down lid and the job is completely different. If you want to do it yourself, ask us how when you buy your ITG.

In over 3 years of being ITG's only official distributor of Subaru filters, we have learnt that this is the best method to ensure a perfect fit.
Old 22 April 2002, 02:11 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Scoobypig

I should have added that the 01/02 is easier to fit if you remove the cover over the boost controls (driver side of air box) and the cold air feed pipe (front side of air box).

The lug arrangement at the bottom of the 01/02 airbox lid is much easier to locate.
Old 22 April 2002, 02:40 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Pete,

You've got me worried now. Can you tell me where I went wrong fitting my ITG. I removed the wiring for the MAF and the large flexible hose to the airbox when I fitted mine. I also freed all the piping across the top of the box to get better access.

It took me 45mins and I made sure that the lid was secure and the filter fitted in place correctly.

Admitedly the instructions I posted on here weren't the exact procedure I followed. There's nothing you mentioned that I didn't do as I naively unplugged any hose that was getting in the way of fitting the filter properly.

Is there anyway of telling that the box has a good seal and no unfiltered air is getting through??

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 4/22/2002 2:47:17 PM]
Old 22 April 2002, 03:37 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

OK, just spent the last 15 mins taking the airbox apart again.

All looks OK, and the air filter is fitting snugly in-place and the lid is seated securely all the way around.

Just to clarify with everyone, when I fitted my panel I removed the large hose completely and disconnected the MAF as I mentioned on the other post http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=84640. This allowed me to lift the airbox lid completely off the hosing to get a good look inside at how the filter should sit.

On the other post Leigh mentioned hearing a groaning sound from his after fitting and later discovered that the bottom of the airbox lid wasn't secure.

I haven't heard any strange noises to suggest that mine isn't secure and I couldn't see any contamination around the MAF or in the hosing after the airbox.

The metal grid and ITG logo are pointing upwards i.e. if you lift the airbox lid you would see them. I'm assuming it's not upside down or anything riduculous like that

Stefan
Old 22 April 2002, 03:58 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Stefan

We recommend removing the hoses and wiring so that you can be sure of getting the bottom end lugs engaged easily.

It sounds like you have done everything right, but I was worried people may attempt to fit the filter without removing everything.
Old 22 April 2002, 04:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Pete.

Looking back at the post, I can see your point. The pictures I posted were just to show what the airbox looked like, but I could image people trying to squeeze the new filter in place by just unclipping the lid

I just coulnd't get it to fit without undoing half a hundred-weight of hosing. With your years of experience dealing with joe-public, you probably stopped relying on other people's common sense long ago

Think I'll be more careful with my wording in the future.

Thanks again,
Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 4/22/2002 4:05:02 PM]
Old 23 April 2002, 06:57 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Cool

Many many thanks for all of the help on this post, especially Ozzy. Got a correctly sized ITG this morning. As sugested reoved some giant hose thing from the box and some wires of some description so the lid was completely unattached to the car by any means. It was a bit of a pig to get it all ligned up and get he botom on the lugs but is's all done now. No gaps round the edge at all. All reattached and sorted. Lets hope it's worth it.

Steve

Old 23 April 2002, 11:29 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Steve,

Glad you got things sorted Have a drink on me m8

Stefan