Worried about my gearbox...

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2010, 03:47 PM
bugboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried about my gearbox...

Hello everyone, thanks for looking.

I have a 02 bugeye wrx wagon, 68k on the clock totally standard car with fsh. It has over the past few weeks started to make crunching noises between 3rd and 4th gear when changing at over 5000 rpm. The Crunch doesn't last long maybe half a second, and almost sounds like I know how to shift without a clutch (I don’t and the clutch is fully depressed). I’m a little worried as no other gears are effected in any order ie 3rd to 5th so on.

Any ideas on the culprit?

Thanks A
Old 09 June 2010, 05:17 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your 4th gear synchro is knackered. I've just had the same problem. When at high revs or when gear oil gets hot is when you first notice it. It can lead to damage being done to 4th gear itself if left.
your gear box will need to be removed and overhauled. API Engines in Warwickshire fixed mine. They changed 4th, 5th and 6th synchros as these are the weakest, and they have been replaced with carbon coated ones. 3rd gear has a tripple synchro which is very strong. From 2006 the Hawkeye scooby got these better synchros as standard to address the issue, it not uncommon. I was under the impression that 6 speed boxes were tough, but it seems they have an akiles heel. I had my clutch changed at the same time as there is no labour charge for this once the box is out. The gear change in my 2003 Spec C now feels clean, sweet and tight. I'm glad i got it sorted as i felt i was driving around a wounded broken car.

Andrew

Last edited by apac; 09 June 2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: revised
Old 09 June 2010, 08:20 PM
bugboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that buddy, I have the 5 speed which is no doubt even more delicate than the 6. I'll give api david a pm and see what he can do
Old 09 June 2010, 09:52 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

no worries. due to your mileage, if you can afford it, think about getting the clutch replaced once the box is out as it will save you in the long run
Old 10 June 2010, 12:44 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Maybe worth changing the oil first..............

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...r-syntrax.html
Old 10 June 2010, 01:56 PM
bugboy
Scooby Regular

Nice one Don, I'll try that before I have the box dropped.

thanks for the heads up
Old 10 June 2010, 04:31 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Maybe worth changing the oil first..............

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...r-syntrax.html

by changing the oil all you will do is mask the problem. If the synchro is knackered no oil in the world will be able to miraculously mend it.

But worth a try i suppose if you want to waste £50.00

My 'snick/crunch' started immediately after changing the gear oil. My theory is that the problem was already there but masked by 30k old oil. Think about it, the snick you have is noticeable once the oil is warm and thin. when the oil is thick and cold - the first 5/10 minutes of driving, is the crunch there then?..... just food for thought (devil advocate)

Andrew

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2010, 09:08 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by apac
by changing the oil all you will do is mask the problem. If the synchro is knackered no oil in the world will be able to miraculously mend it.

My 'snick/crunch' started immediately after changing the gear oil. My theory is that the problem was already there but masked by 30k old oil. Think about it, the snick you have is noticeable once the oil is warm and thin. when the oil is thick and cold - the first 5/10 minutes of driving, is the crunch there then?..... just food for thought (devil advocate)

Andrew
As food for thought also, my "snick" started at 85Kmiles, changed the oil to a better grade, 30K miles on its still without the "snick" reappearing.
Not exactly a waste of £50.................certainly worth it.
Old 11 June 2010, 09:54 AM
bugboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys, I'll give the oil change a shot, as compared to what it will cost to drop the gearbox and fix it its worth a try.

would you guys say saving the extra £ and having a 6sp conversion done is better than having my old 5sp rebuilt?

thx
Old 13 July 2010, 09:16 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

If its totally standard then you would be throwing money away putting in a 6 speed - just get the standard box checked out and dont buy a PPG - you dont need one
I have a PPG but only because I take my car to track days and broke the original at Brands Hatch
I have a similar issue with mine getting it into 2nd and 3rd and really I should have mentioned it to David when it was last out (I broke the 5th gear on the PPG)

At my last track day....... I dont do too many, I was having real difficult changing gears.... needed to be Arnold Swartzanegger...
Dont think its the oil though
I probably need a better box anyway and a sequential gearshift which would make Track days that much better

Last edited by Fangoria; 13 July 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 13 July 2010, 09:31 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apac

Andrew

You say that but castrol works well
Old 19 August 2010, 01:43 PM
bugboy
Scooby Regular

Its been a while since I have updated what’s happening to my Bugeye gear box. It turns out 3rd and 4th synchro hubs are dead, luckily the car has extended Subaru warranty, which is where the fun has been for the past month. and after plenty of strong words with Subaru warranty services.. at last they agreed to pay and I am due to get the car back tomorrow.. YAY!! Forgot what its like to have a burble in my life..

not sure how to upload a photo, hopefully this works:

bugboy