Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major problems, car's not happy!

MY99
PPP
Magnex down pipe (fully de-catted)

Fitted a Blitz induction kit yesterday and the following is happening:

Very jerky acceleration once in boost.
In 4th gear to test for full boost peaking at about 18-19 psi and then dropping right down. Used to peak at 16 psi before induction kit fitted.

Any thoughts?

Ps. booked the car into Power Engineering for Wednesday any idea how much this is going to cost me to get sorted, at this rate I can see me puttingthe standard air box back on!
Old 18 March 2002, 02:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blitz MAY kill your MAF anyway, and without a remap probably not make the car quicker. 18-19 PSI on a PPP is overboost and the solenoid duty cycle will always be chasing target - you have to really run 17 or below with a PPP. A restrictor change would sort it assuming it is not clogged. It is not a mega money job. But I would seriously reconsider the decision on the Blitz.
Old 18 March 2002, 02:25 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Or talk to PE now about applying an EcuTek performance remap to your original ecu when you visit, and sell the PPP?

Richard
Old 18 March 2002, 04:35 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

A bit confused here, I was under the impression that because the Blitz was a non oil based filter that it wouldn't hurt the MAF sensor? That was what I was told anyway! For the time being I'm accelerating very slowly and only using a bit of boost, 5 - 10 psi only to be on the safe side.

Cheers Chris
Old 18 March 2002, 08:07 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

my99/00's have a MAF susceptible (sp?!) to vibration and contamination. Not sure what's suspect on the Blitz (is it the Blitz that had bad filtration reviews - not trying to rubbish it, but honestly can't remember?), but certainly make sure it's mounted correctly/securely.

The overboost you're experiencing (assuming it is that) is most likely caused because the Prodrive ecu has very poor boost control - anything that reduces restrictions in induction/exhaust will have a similar effect.

As John points out, make sure the solenoid and pipework is clean between the turbo outlet<->T-piece<->wastegate and T-piece<->boost solenoid. If the car's been overfilled with oil it'll give this problem too.

However, given the PPP and recent induction kit addition, I'll wager you need to start playing with restrictor sizes. 0.1mm increase will have an effect......

Good Luck
Richard

Richard
Old 18 March 2002, 08:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/airflow/

You will be told something different by everyone when it comes to MAF failures.

Blitz was shown to have very poor filtration in a lab test. There are many on here who have had failures which seem to be associated with Blitz or HKS filters, but who can say for sure? You'd be better if search was up, but I would give both a very wide berth if I was still using the MAF personally based on actual experiences of board members. With failures being posted on here almost regularly about cars with these filters, and problems with Ramair panels on MY99/00, and one with a K&N 57i it seems caution is required. ITG is considered safe by many, but some think there are goo issues. I run an ITG panel FWIW after trying a 57i and only noticing a load of noise and no power gain.

[Edited by john banks - 3/18/2002 8:41:56 PM]
Old 18 March 2002, 08:50 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

If I had the original filter I'd swap it back but I havn't! Some very careful driving tomorrow and on the way to PE on Wednesday is needed! Anyway, been looking at the ECUTEK upgrade, very interesting! My end goal is to get the car up to 300bhp then I'll stop, honest! Does anyone know what I might get for the PPP ECU and is there much of a market for them?

Cheers

Chris
Old 18 March 2002, 09:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

PPP ECUs are like gold dust. Seller's market - for now anyway. I am hanging onto mine for now because I can then sell it as a Prodrive car down the line.

However, with a boost controller they are very similar in performance to the full remaps. The fuelling is similarly rich. Less ignition advance, but that along with rich fuelling keeps it safe.

On the original turbo I doubt you will see anything like a genuine 300 BHP, but it depends on your chosen rolling road You may well see 280 BHP at PE with a properly setup PPP with boost controller. This is similar to most remaps.

Go for more power still and it gets very expensive for some as they tend to eat through gearboxes and need to uprate the clutch, find the four pots struggle even with new discs and pads etc etc.
Old 18 March 2002, 09:24 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Sounds like I'd be better sticking with the PPP, properly set up, but I can discuss this with boys at PE. I've just been out to the car and taken the top plate off to reveal the ECU to see which one I had (been looking at the ECUTEK website. I was on the understanding that the '99 '00 PPP is a piggy back ECU? I was faced with a silver box about 5x6 inches with a pink STI sticker on it. Are the actual chips inside this box? I didn't fancy going any deeper!! The problem is I do one modification and it's great for a while, then it seems slow agian! Funny thing is I never go above 80mph on the motorway, I just like getting there quickly! Perhaps I should be looking at the gearing?

Cheers

Chris

Forgot to ask what does a boost controller do - apart from controlling the boost obviously! and how much are they?

[Edited by CJRH - 3/18/2002 9:30:37 PM]
Old 18 March 2002, 09:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the dyno site and the Dawes FAQ for examples. Could cost you £25 to have a P1/STi chaser.