Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust Tone

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2002, 08:16 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the hunt for a new aftermarket backbox for my MY99 turbo, and am considering all my options.

Now, I currently run an STi backbox, and want to know how all the other backboxes compare for tone, in-car noise, and general noise comfort, particularly at motorway speed.

So, please guys, take time to jot down a few words, and if possible compare the noises to other makes ie) louder on motorways etc etc etc.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 18 March 2002, 01:17 PM
Alfer
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I have a non-turbo Impreza with a full-customer extractors, 2.25" pipe with a large Redbeck resonator, a small hotdog and a 5Zigen exhaust backbox (looks a bit like the Apexi N1) and its has the loudest burble, rivalling Harleys ... even more so than Turbo models... its quite okay in the cabin but my neighbours has been telling me ".. its sounded like distant rolling thunder..."

I need to stick that "Buttplug" during normal driving to keep the cops away from me.

Tip: If you want to minimise cabin noise, but get head turning sounds, get the frequency low by using large canister and single tipped outlet.. the moment your exhaust frequency get high enough to resonate in your boot.. thats where the fun stops. Fujitsubos are really good for most setups.
Old 18 March 2002, 02:49 PM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

Try www.exhausts.com they are in Sheffield, ask for Pete, very good traveled up from London to get mine fitted. Custom made at a reasonable price hope this helps.

Sherlock
Old 18 March 2002, 04:50 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I've got a scoobysport bb on mine, not very obtrusive at all imho, can still talk in the car at decent motorway speeds, quite grumbly at town speed without being offensive in anyway.

A friend has a Blitz Nur Spec R and that is super LOUD! - Too noisy for me!
Old 18 March 2002, 04:52 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I get a hosting site page when trying to get to exhausts.com
Old 18 March 2002, 05:53 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi,

I am looking into BB's too (thread Quietish BB's) - If you want quiet - Remus - If you loud and freeflowing - magnex 6x4 or ScoobySport seem to be the ones ... If this helps!

Good chap is jamie at www.performanceexhausts.net -

Steve
Old 18 March 2002, 07:32 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

BuRR,

I have a WR Sport on my wagon, I would recommend one if you can pick one up secondhand.

Did get a bit boomy on the motorway when I changed the centre and downpipe as well, but carpet underlay under rear seat and boot carpet seems to have sorted that. Very nice tone off the motorway without being too loud. Others have told me that it is much quieter than Magnex and Scoobysport, and only Remus is quieter.

Cheers
Tim

[Edited by NBW - 3/18/2002 7:34:19 PM]
Old 18 March 2002, 07:46 PM
Green Turbo
Scooby Newbie

BuRR,

I had a scoobysport fitted a few weeks back, sounds amazing. A little bit more noise inside than the standard, fine for me on the motorway, but is noticable than the standard. I had my mate do fly by past me last week, from outside the car it's a must have, for me this is what Scoob's should sound like. I guy I've spoken to with a new STi 7 said he was having one fitted after hearing mine!

MY97 Turbo

Get one you wont't regret it - hope you've got some tunnels where you live.

Leigh
Old 18 March 2002, 09:12 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Have to say I'm more than happy with my SS backbox (wife loves it too). Got .wav files of SS and Magnex if you want me to e-mail them to you.

Mike