Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch Jud-d-d-e-r

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2002, 10:44 PM
Mike Calvey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My MY98 Terzo has a clutch jud-d-d-e-r early in the morning, very slight after being driven and then standing all day. After driving for a while in the morning the judder disapears and everything is fine.

Is the clutch on its way out (the car has done 64k miles)? Or is there another problem?

Mike.
Old 16 March 2002, 11:51 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Clutch judder from cold is a bit of an Impreza feature - mine had it swopped at 13K under warranty to cure this.

Yours has lasted, but that's a lot of miles now on an Impreza clutch, so it could well be on it's way out. Some people say that a couple of full bore standing starts will fix it, by burning off any dirt or contaminants on the clutch plate.

Judder when hot might be cured by uprated clutch fluid.

If you do have to have the clutch replaced, you might want to consider having an uprated clutch fitted and may be other work done at the same - such as a lightened flywheel.

Cheers
Tim
Old 17 March 2002, 05:46 PM
KevinH
Scooby Regular

as Tim says, it's a feature.

My MY97 WRX had these symptoms when I got it with 30K miles, and it's still the same now with 53K on it. So while replacing the clutch will no doubt improve the situation. If you're prepared to live the judder when cold, there's probably a fair bit of life left in your clutch.

Kevin
Old 17 March 2002, 08:59 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

One more thing - I recently had a Scoobysport downpipe fitted, this seemed to make it easier to pull away smoothly. Guess it's something to do with extra bit of torque at low revs.

Cheers
Tim
Old 17 March 2002, 09:06 PM
Mike Calvey
Scooby Newbie

Smile

First - Thanks for the replies!

The car has a complete ScoobySport exhaust system fitted by the previous owner (I have had the car +- 3 weeks) so that may also be the cause.

Mike.
Old 18 March 2002, 01:09 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Although clutch judder is obviously very much to do with the clutch, as Tim says the torque delivery of the engine also plays a big part. I have a Link ECU with the programming module, and while I was trying to tweak the low end of the map to enhance around-town fuel economy, I found that clutch judder cropped up if I ran the engine too lean. Enriching things again removed it. Obviously this info isn't much use to you if you don't have a remappable ECU, although it might be a good alternative way to spend your money if you were about to shell out for clutch replacement anyway!
Old 18 March 2002, 09:27 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

I get clutch judder on my MY00 with 28k on the clock. The other day however i did a full bore standing start from 5k and dump the clutch and the was no wheel spin, the clutch took it all, held the revs, (they didn't rise) andit just lauch away. So i am concerned about the life of my cluch. Also when pulling out of T junction and booting it, i can smell clutch burn occasionally.

What is the average life of a clutch ?

And how much ??????

Jonathan