Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HKS AFR and FCD any information.

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2002, 01:47 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any information on the HKS AFR and FCD, does the FCD just do the same thing as the DIY one mentioned in other posts?
Old 17 March 2002, 05:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HKS FCD is less sophisticated than the ones shown in the thread - it interferes with the MAP signal before fuel cut.

The AFR adjusts the MAF signal often by a fixed proportion across the rev range. There are more sophisticated products which alter the signal by RPM which is obviously more beneficial.
Old 17 March 2002, 07:56 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised that there has been so little interest in the DIY fuel cut lifter. Has anyone built one?

Maybe it's the electronics that put people off, or the fear of blowing the motor up - yet it's not that difficult to build and lots of people seem to have HKS defenders.

In case anyone was wondering, it's working perfectly on my car. So there is at least one in existence!
Old 17 March 2002, 08:35 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Paul_H
what year of car do you have? any other mod's? I would love to have a go at the DIY FCD, but I am worried about incorrect fueling and blowing the thing up! If it was easy to calibrate it to say, 17psi and I could be reassured that my car could cope with this. Then I would be very tempted. It's the worry of experimentation, I feel I could too easily damage the engine whilst only attempting to find "safe" settings.
Old 17 March 2002, 10:51 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

Chaz

The FCD doesn't calibrate how much boost you run, it just stops a fuel cut (also provides a new higher fuel cut).

You set the increased boost with a boost controller, either mechanical or electronic. The easiest and cheapest way to do this is with a Dawes Device. You need a boost gauge to set the boost level, keep it reasonable say 17 PSI (needs a FCD for this level)and you should be OK, this is what the PPP cars run. I think that extra boost makes top quality synthetic engine oil even more of necessity, and changed more frequently too.

An AFR meter is a good idea to check the fuelling, the DIY AFR meter here is easy to build & set up if you have a digital voltmeter, this probably should be the first step.

You will be taking a risk if you tune the engine for extra power, this is inevitable because there is no such thing as a free lunch. But when sensibly done i.e. no silly boost levels & properly monitored, then I think it's acceptable. But only you can decide this because it's your car.