Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

rear drone bug

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2009, 08:44 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear drone bug

hi peeps.i have a drone/whine from the rear of my o1 bugeye which i diagnosed as a passenger side wheel bearing.i bought the car with it earlier this year and the new mot agreed that the bearing was worn.i replaced it soon as poss,twice,as the first bearing failed while fitting.however,the drone is still there.maybe its me but im confused wether its actually coming from the wheel or more the centre of the rear!!ive left it for the time being as another member said it could be the tyres.im changing those in the next 1000 miles.

the noise is noticable from 25/30 mph and is at its loudest about 65/70 mph.it quietens after that.also one day while braking from high speed in a short distance(bloody porsch drivers,think he could get the better of japans finest!)it groaned noisily the longer and harder the brake was applied.it hasnt got any worse tho.

is this a bearing and have i put a new duff one in or could it be something else.any thoughts appreciated.thanks.
Old 25 September 2009, 06:21 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The hub is often damaged by the time the bearing is noisy enough to hear, my tame mechanic says 3 out of four need a new hub as well....

Soz

dunx
Old 27 September 2009, 08:41 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

hi dunx.been thinking about what you said.im not sure how the hub would wear as the only actual moving part is the bearing itself and by its design this would be the obvious and only part to actually wear.this is the bearings job to enable two metal parts to safely be in contact with each other.they are a naturally weak link to 'save' the main components ie,the bearing is the sacrificial part.this is not to say the hub is 100% but by looking at cross section drawings of the hub assembly the only way the hub would wear is if the bearing outer managed to turn or spin in the hub itself!i might be talking codswallop lol(just recovering from a 19 hour work shift !!).please correct me if im wrong.cheers again dunx.
Old 28 September 2009, 06:38 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

another thought,if the rear diff was worn could the vibrations travel down the driveshaft and give me a false diagnosis?