Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Lambda Link/Link ECU - odd readings

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2002, 10:19 AM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've noticed some odd behaviour from my Lambda Link over the past couple of days - WOT on 5th on the mway this morning gave no reading at all for a couple of seconds, then flashing up and down the scale between last red and first two yellows. Whilst building through the boost zones, it's occasionally not giving any lights at all, then will suddenly start flashing up and down the scale - unlike previously where there was a steady progression of the lights towards the last green.

Car seems to still be pulling well, and nothing *feels* wrong which means I'm leaning towards suspecting the lambda link/sensor as the problem, rather than the car.

My car has a Link ECU which was fitted and mapped a couple of weeks ago and has been behaving normally prior to this. After being fine for over two weeks I wouldn't think the Link ECU would suddenly make the car run lean??

Co-incidentally, this has all started since I filled my car up on Monday (BP SUL as normal) - and added a bottle of Millers for the first time with the Link fitted. Just co-incidence??

It seemed to be okay when I first joined the mway this morning - gave it a bit of shoe up the slip road and it was showing last/2nd last green, but whilst cruising and then applying the throttle (either progressively or flooring it), the lights are misbehaving.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Cheers

Chris

MY00 fully decatted/Link ECU/ITG panel filter

PS Have also noticed a significant improvement in fuel economy with the Link fitted (as well as the improvements in acceleration as measured by the butt-o-meter ) - previously would get 170-220 miles out of a full tank, and have now seen 245 and 295 miles from the last two tanks of SUL
Old 13 March 2002, 05:17 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Arrow

No-one have any thoughts?
Old 13 March 2002, 05:48 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

You didn`t say who supplied or mapped the ECU. If it was BRD then I would suggest having a word with Bob Rawle. I had the Link installed by BRD a while back and have spoken to Bob via E-mail regarding a couple of niggles and he has responded very quickly. Problems will be sorted at the follow-up map check soon.
I have noticed that the Lambda link lights go up and down the display on occasions, but under boost it always goes to green. It is certainly worth getting the mixture checked under boost especially, no room for lean mixture here! Might be worth a rolling road session?
JohnD
Old 13 March 2002, 09:43 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Sounds like its running ok, on full blat you should get 2nd from last green light.

On cruise 0 bar / vac you may not get any lights or maybe 1/2 red lights Normal.

If you have an OE lambda sensor in the zorst they are prone to ware by age and even quicker if using booster, and when hot which they do get when driving hard it will show in most cases 1 green light/ last orange on full load.

I use NF & Optimax my lambda sensor in the zorst was giving false info also, milage was 60k so I changed to a wide band money well spent I drive hard the thing give very accurate reading on the lambda link.

speak with Andy @ BRD when you need one they may supply this, otherwise the readings you are getting are fine.

MOE
Old 14 March 2002, 12:00 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

The finger of suspicion is pointing at the Lambda sensor, so I guess that'll be something else to fork out for

Car was supplied with the Link ECU, so I'm not sure who mapped it originally, but it has been setup properly and I don't have any real concerns about it being the cause of the problem. The car is running fine - I presume because it was mapped in open loop mode, the failing lambda sensor won't cause too many problems in the short term until I can get a replacement in.

I'll have a check over it at the weekend and make sure the wires/connections are all as they should be.

Moe - what are the benefits of a 'wide band' lambda sensor? Any idea how much they are in comparison with the standard version and where I might get one from?

Cheers,

Chris