Strange Idling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2002, 04:18 PM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi All,

I am having a strange idling problem with my standard MY93 WRX at the moment. Normally, the car idles at about 1500rpm from start, then drops to about 7-900rpm once warm. Just recently, the idle will again rise to 1500rpm and stay there. Today I was sitting at some traffic lights, so I turned the engine off and immediately restarted it - idle dropped back to 800rpm and stayed there for the remainder of my journey. The engine has done 55k, and as far as I am aware has had no modifications (cambelt change done at 45k).

Is this anything to be worried about? Other than increased fuel consumption from higher idle, are there any other problems with this? I have got an STi exhaust system (not yet fitted to car) - should I get this problem sorted before fitting it?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel
MY93 WRX
Old 11 March 2002, 05:41 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

Daniel

There was a post about this a week or so ago. The other guy had the same symptoms as yours. I think the replies suggested to spray carburettor cleaner into the idle valve.
The idle valve is located on the right side of the inlet manifold at the top. It has a 3/4 inch rubber pipe coming from it and going into a metal pipe which runs across the top of the engine. They suggested to have the car running and rev it to about 1500-2000 and pull the rubber pipe off and squirt the carburettor cleaner in. It may take a couple of times to clear the problem. Also if you let the revs drop down to tickover the car will conk out if the pipe is still disconnected. I did it on mine and managed to hold the throttle open and pull the pipe off and then squirt the cleaner in.
You may want to go back a few weeks and have a search for the other thread about this as it may explain it better.

Hope this helps

Stuart
Old 11 March 2002, 07:44 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

More likely to be coolant temeperature sensor related (IMHO), as the idle speed stays at 1500 and doesn't fluctuate. Check for corroded/sh*t covered connections.