Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2002, 11:00 AM
COMPUCOLIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

Had my MY99(12/98)since Oct 2001.

It had the 2800 to 3100 hesitation which is apparently usual.
Far worse when its cold, even after starting car up in morning and leaving to warm up for 3 mins.

After 5 weeks I started getting a sap in power as if the fuel was restricted or something was blocked. Only happened for a few seconds in every few hours, but got worse and eventually engine and then turbo blew up. Subaru replaced them both and I got it back.

Ever since, I have had a similar randon sap in power every day.

Most noticeable in 5th when foot near the floor. Turbo hisses steadily as it should, power is smooth and steady, but suddenly out of the blue in the middle of a steady 1 minute run on a clear flat dual carriageway the boost hiss goes quieter than normal and the power drops, dropping the revs without moving the accelerator pedal.

If I do nothing and wait a few minutes it comes back in and out in randon steps for random amounts of time. If in one of the sapped moments I decelerate, the lack of power goes through the rev range for 10 secs to 4 minutes.

I have checked all of the hoses and they appear to be OK.

I am worried that this problem is linked to the last one that blew the thing up (Subaru garage could not say what caused it).

Any suggestions as to what it might be, what I could look for as a novice, what I could try to do and more importantly how seriously I should take it, do I worry ??

Someone mentioned a boost solenoid by the turbo on the bulkhead.
I presume this is the cars own type of bleed valve. Do they give these symptoms when they go wrong ?

Any feedback (especially with instructions on what to check out) would be great.

Cheers,

Colin...

Old 01 March 2002, 11:16 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Get it checked out, quick! Without knowing what boost levels you're at before and during the issue it's hard to say. I assume it only happens at high speed?

Given your previous problems, could be that egt's are rising too high and knock is occuring, causing ignition to retard as far as possible....if you keep your foot down that may not be far enough. If so, the engine may blow again I wouldn't want to run max boost on my car for a minute or more anyway.....

A knocklink would be a wise investment, along with a boost gauge...and AFR + EGT's. But assuming it's under warranty, make it the dealers problem.

Good Luck
Richard
Old 11 March 2002, 07:48 PM
COMPUCOLIN
Scooby Regular

Thanks Richard.

I would be interested in hearing anyone elses opinion who may have experienced similar problems and symptoms. Booked into dealer now. We shall see.