Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2009, 11:56 PM
Mairshy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox help. Noob Alert

Hi all

I've owned a subaru for about 2 weeks and already run into trouble

I can pretty much guess the problem was too much power through the box but anyways here goes.

I bought a 52 reg bug eye WRX wagon......which had a 2.5 STI engine transplant when the previous owner blew up the original. This had then been tuned and put in a run of 400BHP on the RR

The problem is it was still running the 5 speed gearbox(and if Im right the STIs should run a 6 speed)

So I now need a new gearbox:

The question is can I mate a 5 speed box or 6 speed box without any other worries.

I also need to know if a specific age of gearbox is required. Like one from a say 55 plate smashed scoob or somethign would do or if this wouldn't fit.
Old 20 July 2009, 11:42 AM
Mairshy
Scooby Newbie

ok I need to backtrack a tad here before deciding I need an entire new gearbox.

The way the car is just now:

engine running fine, revving fine starting fine
clutch seems fine
gear box, each gear seems to be engaging. forward and reverse

what seems to be happening is:

that when trying to drive it every say every couple of feet there is like a clunking noise of something jamming on and it then seizes up. At which point this seems to seize the wheels up. Its very stange it doesn't seem like the gearbox has went kapoot as every gear is the doing the same.
even when in neutral we can hear this clunking when pushing the car. However the noise is coming from close to the gearbox. The other thing...the clunking and seizing up doesn't seem to be just as bad in reverse but is defo still happening.
has anyone got any ideas. Differential or something, gearbox broken up and something internal causing it to jam?
Old 20 July 2009, 12:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

you've stripped some teeth of one of the gears.

i stripped the whole of 3rd gear on my classic and ended up with bits flaoting around, when being pulled up on the wagon to take it away the wheels were locking as a floating tooth got snagged.

at 400bhp then your options are simple, but not cheap

6 speeder at about 2.5k+
5 speed ppg box 3k+ (straight cut = noisier, or helical = not so noisey)
6 speed ppg box 5k+ (straight cut = noisier, or helical = not so noisey)

issues with 6 speed will be needing the diff etc, plus some folks dont get on with the chaning in ratios.
Old 20 July 2009, 02:10 PM
Mairshy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
you've stripped some teeth of one of the gears.

i stripped the whole of 3rd gear on my classic and ended up with bits flaoting around, when being pulled up on the wagon to take it away the wheels were locking as a floating tooth got snagged.

at 400bhp then your options are simple, but not cheap

6 speeder at about 2.5k+
5 speed ppg box 3k+ (straight cut = noisier, or helical = not so noisey)
6 speed ppg box 5k+ (straight cut = noisier, or helical = not so noisey)

issues with 6 speed will be needing the diff etc, plus some folks dont get on with the chaning in ratios.
eeeek

Im guessing there should be £ signs in front of those numbers

I had been expecting a four figure sum but I was hoping for around about the £1000 mark.

TBH i Could quite happily reduce the power if it would mean I could get in it on the road for less. I will need to get a look and see what the current gear box has been so I can get one that will go onto this.

The thing is, It was still cold and getting a gentle run in when this happened. not even on boost.
Old 20 July 2009, 09:56 PM
Mairshy
Scooby Newbie

ok gearbox is:

TY754VN2AA

dunno whether to go for another the same and reduce the power or if someone could point me to one which might handle the power a bit better and would mate on just as easy

i guess when it comes to a problem like this a new/re-conned gearbox is the way to go rather than trying to repair the current one
Old 20 July 2009, 11:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

when they go they go, guy i know was sat tootling at about 30mp and 3rd gear went, no reason for it just suddenly went. luck of the draw realy.

rebult is by far the best option should be around £650 ish mark for a decent rebuild.

as far as reducng the power, do you think you'll be happy if you do that? you don;t get owt for nowt im afraid so only realy way to sort it properly is to fork out for a strong enough box
Old 21 July 2009, 12:37 AM
Mairshy
Scooby Newbie

when they go they go, guy i know was sat tootling at about 30mp and 3rd gear went, no reason for it just suddenly went. luck of the draw realy.

rebult is by far the best option should be around £650 ish mark for a decent rebuild.
Cheers mate.

is that roughly just for dropping it off and picking it back up rebuilt or would that be also removal and fitting? I will need to look into places in scotland that do this. I know the engine was re-built by greer sport before being sent to andy forrest for tuning once run back in.

as far as reducng the power, do you think you'll be happy if you do that? you don;t get owt for nowt im afraid so only realy way to sort it properly is to fork out for a strong enough box
I probably wouldnt mind in all fairness. It'd still happily go to speeds that would see me lose my license

I wanted to try a 4WD car after owning hot hatches for so long....expecting them to be much quicker in the corners as opposed to straights. Drag racing isn't my style
Old 21 July 2009, 01:08 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

bet you a fiver if yo do dro pthe power you will end up minding, lol

mmm, yeah i didn't notice you were so far away, alot of places do a swap, so will have one ready rebuilt and then just swap the box's and take your busted one in part ex to then rebuild for someone else as it were.

scoobyclinic built my ppg box for me, so might be worth giving them a bell and see what options there are.
Old 22 July 2009, 09:23 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Speak to AWD Motorsport in Perth. Also look on the SIDC website at the scottish section. I know there were many comments about a few places near Perth that were well praised. I dealt with AWD when I was up near Inverness.