Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Trickle chargers

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2002, 02:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Not using the scoob as much as I did, only for special journeys .

Battery is going low so I need a trickle charger. Anybody know any good makes, websites. What I am after is :

auto switch off when full
charge while the battery in on the car
long cables to fit to battery at least 6 foot so I can keep the bonnet closed due to alarm system (the ones I have seen in halfords are about 3 foot )
money not really a consideration as batteries are expensive

Any ideas ?

Cheers

ChrisP

[Edited by chrisp - 2/23/2002 2:22:28 PM]
Old 23 February 2002, 02:31 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

A similar thing,tho' I havent tried it is a solar panel which you sit on the dash.You plug it into the ciggy lighter,if it works with ignition off,or crocodile clips onto the battery.

So if you are parked up for a while,or only use car for short trips,this helps to keep it charged up.

Like I said,I havent tried it,so dont know if anyone has had probs with it,just seen them in local car shop.

Steve

Edited because I forgot to point out the obvious,
it wont work if you park up in a garage!

[Edited by stevie c - 2/23/2002 2:32:43 PM]
Old 23 February 2002, 04:56 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

I've got an Airflow Battery Conditioner connected to my Caterham as I don't use it much over the winter - only bought this after I killed the previous battery from letting it get too flat. Cost about £40 from Caterham Cars (2 yrs ago) - their parts dept is on 01322 625801.

This device does exactly what you want - it trickle charges til the battery reaches (I think) 13.2V then shuts off until voltage drops to about 12V etc etc - keeps cycling. Also tells you the actual battery voltage when you switch it off.

It comes with a pair of crocodile clips for attaching straight onto the battery, but if the cigarette lighter is permanently live (don't know if it is?) then you could cut these off and replace with a cigarette lighter plug to save fiddling about under the bonnet.

Certainly beats messing about with jump leads every time you want a drive.

Dave
Old 23 February 2002, 06:26 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I've got one of the solar ones for sale if your interested. You would have to wire it to the battery though as scoob cig lighters don't work with the ignition off. I bought it for my last car but don't have a problem with the scoob so it is just sitting in my cupboard taking up space. Paid £25 for it, make me an offer If anyone is interested, mail me on charlie.haines@ic24.net
Old 23 February 2002, 08:22 PM
PHIL MOFFAT
Scooby Newbie

CHRIS you should get yourself an optimateIII charger you can get them from most motorcycle shops or mail order from MPS www.thefastone.co.uk. These are very highly rated as they monitor and condition your battery I use one myself on my bike.
Old 23 February 2002, 08:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments and ideas, I have been surfin the net and saw the optimate III and looked pretty good. Saw the solar panel one as well but the scoobs lighter isnt live without ignition put me off that one. Looks like its the engineering project for me tomorrow to try and find out how best to mount one.

Thanks again,

ChrisP
Old 24 February 2002, 11:49 AM
PHIL MOFFAT
Scooby Newbie

CHRIS you will find the optimate is a doddle to fit,the standard kit comes with a quick release coupling on the charger cable which connects to either standard jump lead type clips or a cable with two 6mm lugs on the end which connect to the clamping bolt on your battery terminals.You then just clip the charger on and off as you need.All connections supplyed as standard I got mine for £30 so look around as most places advertise them for £40.I really recomend you to get one as they were specifically designed for this purpose where you leave them plugged in with alarm activated.
P.S I have no connection with the makers etc. just I have seen alot of tests on the chargers available in bike mags.
Old 24 February 2002, 12:03 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Phil,

Sounds exactly what I am looking for

Cheers

ChrisP