Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ppg box

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2008, 08:36 AM
jeansmechanic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ppg box

how many of you are running a PPG gearkit in their cars? what are they like to use everyday? are they unbearably noisey or awkward to use.
need to start making plans on what to do with my standard if/when it gives up the ghost!
what are they like to to diy fit?

cheers guys
Old 08 October 2008, 08:45 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I have a straight cut 1 & 2, helical cut 3 & 4, and a P1 5th in my Type R (it had the really close ratio 5th before). Housed in a TY754 casing with billet selector forks. This is matched to a Exedy twin plate hyper clutch.

The drive is basically factory in my opinion. The shifts are smooth, easy and isn't difficult to drive in any way. Basically feels like a new OE box.

1st and 2nd make a whine, but I don't use it as a daily driver so doesn't bother me.

Clutch took a little getting used to at first as just wanted to bite and go.

However, when I roll the DCCD forward and lift off the gas, I have a noise coming from somewhere. Not sure if this is connected to the box or something else. I have put a thread up on this forum but no responses so far.
Old 08 October 2008, 09:33 AM
jeansmechanic
Scooby Regular

Are they PPG 1 and 2. Cheers for your input rossi
Old 08 October 2008, 10:06 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeansmechanic
Are they PPG 1 and 2. Cheers for your input rossi
The PPG gears in mine are 1-4.

You have the option of straight cut (makes the whine) or helical cut gears. You can mix and match these depending on your aims. For dragstrip, where launching is important, straight cut is ideal for 1-2 as are stronger.

You also have the option of straight cut dog engagement but I wouldn't suggest this for road use.
Old 08 October 2008, 10:11 AM
stavros
Scooby Regular

I have 6 speed dog straightcut gears on my racing car.

However I believe I could live with the noise if it was a street car, however you can consider synchromesh gearkits if you want to avoid the noise, they can withstand a lot of power as well.
Old 08 October 2008, 10:35 AM
IRC450STI
Scooby Regular

I have straight cut PPG & twin plate exedy and i love it and yes it whines, sounds like a supercharger when launching, i use car nearly everyday so im used to it and it dont bother me, 5th gear is quiet so its ok on motorways but as one guy says you can mix so they not all straight cut, but if you will use car on drag strip then straight cut is best way to go really, why not take i ride with someone with straight cut to see if it will get on your t*ts Goodluck fella
Old 08 October 2008, 11:33 AM
jeansmechanic
Scooby Regular

i am involved in a bit of rallying and have been in a couple of cars with straight cut boxes, but with a helmet on you dont tend to notice the noise! can you clutchless shift with the straight cut dog box?
what price do they start from, or does it all depend on what i use it for determines the price?
cheers for all your comments guys
Old 08 October 2008, 11:59 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Dog engagement does mean that you can do clutchless changes. I haven't used one though so can't give a verdict but I understand you have to be very positive with the shift though.

The 1-4 gearsets start at about £2k for straight and helical synchro sets and about £2.5k for dog engagement.

My twin plate clutch/flywheel was a further £1200.

You also need to factor in bearings, synchro, oils, selector forks, possibly casing (PPG do not do sets for the TY752 casings) and of course the big one - labour.
Old 08 October 2008, 12:26 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Mark at Lateral Performance has stock of PPG kits

Last edited by bren@apex; 09 October 2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08 October 2008, 01:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

just to clarify, a ppg stright cut set isn't a dog box. the dog bit refers to the engagement system. the Dog's tend to wear pretty quickly, figures of 1000miles till they die have been quoted to me but i can't say thats from experiance.

i've got 1-4 straight cut ppg and a uk 5th in the box for cruising on motorway.

tbh i don't think the whine is that loud and i found i get used to it and at times don't even notice it.

for road use i'd have though a true dog box isn't worth it. a ppg set either helical or straight cut will pretty much be strong enough for what ever you want to throw at it, unless your going 600bhp + then add a uk 5th or similar for a nice quiet cruise gear then jobs a good un
Old 08 October 2008, 05:54 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

If you want it reasonably quiet and easy to use, go for a heli-cut, syncro setup.