Exedy Clutch advice

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2008, 10:49 AM
Mrboost
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exedy Clutch advice

Hi All

I have had a Exedy clutch fitted by a authorised dealer for about 5 months now, its been adjusted a few times, but I feel the clutch now needs replacing. Slips like mad in any gear.

I use the car to get to work and back and therefore sat in traffic twice a day. So the car only gets bursts at weekends etc. The car done a few K since the clutch was fitted. Its never been nailed in 1st.

Do you think I'm better fitting a standard clutch, or should the exedy be ok for stop and starts in rush hour?

My car is a standard UK classic with only ppp as a peformance gain.

How do you guys go on with exedy clutches ?
Old 02 September 2008, 11:20 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I can only comment on the Exedy uprated Organic. I broke the centres out of two AP uprated Organics and was in a bit of a fix so bought a second hand exedy from a local scrappers. It went on to do another 30,000 miles of daily driving at Circa 360bhp. Without any issue until I upped the power to over 400 and then it started to slip.
Old 02 September 2008, 12:35 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

The clutch can't be adjusted in the way a cable clucth can, all that is 'tweaked' is the free play.

torque/power throughput doesn't kill clutches, nor does full throttle in first (clutch doesn't know what gear your in) what kills thsm is slipping them, sounds like a duff install such that your slipping the clutch too much (hence the tweaks) and the clutch has had enough, excedy replacement or 'stage1' is well up to what you appear to be asking of it!

Simon
Old 02 September 2008, 12:38 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrboost
Hi All

I have had a Exedy clutch fitted by a authorised dealer for about 5 months now, its been adjusted a few times, but I feel the clutch now needs replacing. Slips like mad in any gear.

I use the car to get to work and back and therefore sat in traffic twice a day. So the car only gets bursts at weekends etc. The car done a few K since the clutch was fitted. Its never been nailed in 1st.

Do you think I'm better fitting a standard clutch, or should the exedy be ok for stop and starts in rush hour?

My car is a standard UK classic with only ppp as a peformance gain.

How do you guys go on with exedy clutches ?
I don't know how you'd adjust a Subaru clutch, as they are self adjusting. There is nothing I or anyone can do to 'adjust' them, other than change the fulcrum pivot position behind the dash when the pedal sticks down sometimes.

I just wonder if you aren't being spun a line.

In the circumstances you describe even the cheapest of factor type clutches
should be adequate.

Are you sure that a new clutch was actually fitted? and by whom? Surely if it is slipping, it is under some sort of guarantee?

A standard OE version of the Exedy would be fine for you. No need to upgrade to anything better.

If you care to call me I can set you up with a proper one. Fit it locally if you wish and still keep a warranty from me.

Good luck, no matter what . David APi

Agents for Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Old 02 September 2008, 12:39 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

What year is your car?

Exedy make standard and uprated clutches. I would have thought a Exedy 230mm OE Replacement Clutch would be fine at that level.

If you need further info, just PM me
Old 02 September 2008, 03:01 PM
Mrboost
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the Info. Well the tweaks made no difference anyhow, they said it was adjusting the biting point, but I noticed no difference, If the clutch was slipping should I have smelt it ? It did drive nice at first and only suffered a small amount of judder now and again.

The car is a 98. Its covered bya warranty so will speak to them and see what can be sorted.
Old 03 September 2008, 12:16 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

I see all the right people are on this thread.
I'd like a few pointers too.

I had my clutch replaced a while ago with an exedy uprated clutch - genuine one by he way, not from that justexedy place.

For the first couple of days is was fine - lower bite point etc.
Then the bite point just changed to near the top of the clutch release.

Its not slipping or anything - but is a real pain in the *** and very very annoying.

The place who installed it said that was probably it just bedding into my flywheel?

So then, can the bite point really not be adjusted?

Thanks,

Shaun
Old 03 September 2008, 12:22 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by urban
Hi All,

I see all the right people are on this thread.
I'd like a few pointers too.

I had my clutch replaced a while ago with an exedy uprated clutch - genuine one by he way, not from that justexedy place.

For the first couple of days is was fine - lower bite point etc.
Then the bite point just changed to near the top of the clutch release.

Its not slipping or anything - but is a real pain in the *** and very very annoying.

The place who installed it said that was probably it just bedding into my flywheel?

So then, can the bite point really not be adjusted?

Thanks,

Shaun
Is your brake pedal and the clutch pedal at the same height? I think you can reset the pedals to be level with each other. That may change the bite point.

We have a car that comes here where the clutch pedal comes up about 2 inches poast the brake pedal. the guy seems to like it that way or has not noticed. Nothing wrong with the way the clutch works but it does feel odd to use.

Otherwise there is no physical adjustment possible of the actual clutch - any adjustment seems to be pedal related.

David APi
Old 03 September 2008, 01:35 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Thanks David.
Yeah, both pedal's are same height.

Would it take 2 days to bed in?

Guys told me that the problem on the old clutch was the pressure plate.

Shaun
Old 03 September 2008, 03:03 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Most clutches are ' run in ' after about 300 miles of every day driving. But of course, that would not be the case for a motorway run from London to Edinburgh.....

David
Old 03 September 2008, 08:05 PM
rich67
Scooby Regular

Had an Exedy clutch put in mine nearly 3 weeks ago now, no probs with it at all
Old 04 September 2008, 12:55 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

In line with what has been said above, the 230 mm Exedy standard clutch replacement will be adequate for your needs.
The cost of that is £155 inclusive of VAT but first check out what warranty is on the clutch you had fitted. The hydraulic clutch cannot be adjusted for clearance as such. Unless there is oil leaking on to the clutch, no way should it slip in any gear after only 5 months of normal road driving.