Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MBC - for under £25 (if you build it yourself about £15)

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 12:14 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but mines proven too as it uses the sames style Valve as used on the Dawes.... the only backup that a company would provide is a returns service as there isn't much that can go wrong if the usual disclaimer regarding owners fitting at own risk applies.

I'm sure I could provide the same service from my garage with such a simple device.

The only reason I posted this was that there seemed to be great demand for such a device that was only available in the States and was subject to the usual import duties and the need foe payement via PayPal.

I was just trying to lend a hand to those of us in the UK after such a device.

The device I have designed uses the same workings (Vacuum pressure releif valve), rated at 0 - 20psi and with a neater hose attachment design and hence requires less space.

There's nothing fancy about a Dawes, just do a search for MBC's, alot of vehicles are using the same basic pneumatics
Old 04 February 2002, 12:17 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Hey, you've just reworded your posting !!!

I'll post a piccie as soon as I have finished it (hopefully tonight)
Old 04 February 2002, 12:20 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Import duties etc etc - Tell me about it! Becomming the Dawes Devices Sole UK Distributer is not as easy as first thought, but Im glad I am able to bring this to the masses though.

Yeah I reworded as I didnt want to seem too touchey about the subject, but Im glad you took it the right way, I would be interested in your product too at a later date.
Old 04 February 2002, 12:24 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

A Question for John Banks.....

Do you want my 1st off, so that you can prove it works as expected.
Old 04 February 2002, 12:24 PM
Luke
BANNED

Scott

This is my opinion
Jamie is running a company and has become the uk Distributor for the "Dawes Device" this would have cost him a lot of time and effort. Also he has paid "Scoobynet" to advertise. He has said he will organize 1x more discount group buy. I did the first and it does take a lot of time and trust.

I feel that your idea would work. But Some folk have spent £20k+ on their cars. I think most will just want peace of mind with the "Dawes" .Again I do not doubt your device.

But how do you think Jamie will feel????

Not wanting to start a war (As usual!!) but I think its a bit unfair.

Luke
Old 04 February 2002, 12:27 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Luke,

I think you should re-read Jamies last post......

For your info I was trying to source parts for this along time before any mention of a UK distributor was posted.

Timing stinks I know.......
Old 04 February 2002, 12:32 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Wink

Luke - thank you for your supprt.

I am a little put out by this obviously but as Lukes comments can only be thought of as correct and accurate, I am happy to let the people who wanted the Dawes Group Buy to buy from the Dawes Group Buy.

Details available here just follow the Dawes Group Buy links!

http://www.performanceexhausts.net

Old 04 February 2002, 12:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I am sure both are welcome in the market place. If you want to model it on anything come up with something different- adjustable bleed and double ball bearing to prevent sticking - a sort of combination of JoeP and TurboXS HPMBC would be nice.

I understand the "Grainger" design is patented, but this does not seem to stop lots of people producing them. I thought I heard that Darren Dawes has a link with the patent in some way. I may be wrong, but might be worth investigating.

I am happy to beta test any designs anyone comes up with and speak honestly about them.

Competition is a fact of life. I am not commercially marketing any of the designs I have come up with - there is simply not enough money in it and too much hassle, and whilst I can design things fine I don't produce them to commercial quality.

Frankly my AFR meter design is an alteration of someone elses which happens to be very similar to the Dawes design only by coincidence - I have never laid my eyes on the Dawes version but understand it uses the same chip! Probably the obvious choice and I bet the same is in the Lambda Link ?Dowser any comments LM3914N?

If anyone wants to produce the EBC when it is fully developed feel free, but after notifying me and not for profit - it is strictly open source.
Old 04 February 2002, 12:35 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I am not a company.... just providing a source for like minded enthusiasts....

When I built my AFR (based on John Bank's idea) I had several e-mails asking to build them for others, but declined as my design would not be cost effective bearing in mind the amount of time it would take to build with individual LED's and box drilling etc...etc....

With the MBC, I thought I would put out some feelers to see if there was interest. As I beleive due to the stadard nature of the MBC I feel it would be cost effective to help the odd person out.
Old 04 February 2002, 01:05 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I agree Scott. When I heard about the patent I was surprised given that check and relief valves have been standard pneumatic components for years. Perhaps it was incorrect about the patent or it is of historical importance only.

Certainly manufacturers I am aware of that specifically market for cars are Hallman, JoeP, Dawes, TurboXS, boostcontroller.com and I think there are others.

I am not a legal expert, but I can't see any reason why you can't offer this product.

But as I said above I would try and make a better version combining some of the benefits of JoeP and TurboXS HPMBC.

I will happily help you test it. Email me offline if you prefer - I have already been approached by a company that was wondering about producing these at cost for UK Scooby owners, but it has not progressed.

I was going to meet up with Falkland Performance centre and suggest that they stocked it in the UK, but have not got round to it yet, and when Jamie emailed me I suggested he take over the group buy and things have taken off from there.
Old 04 February 2002, 01:49 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Wink

Next stop - banner ad!!!
Old 04 February 2002, 07:22 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scott/Jamie

I think your products will appeal to a different market, Jamie's to those who are looking for a proven product and Scott's to those that understand how simple a device this really is !
(not suggesting Jamie's customers are not understanding )

Just as some buy lamdalinks and others build them

cc

Old 04 February 2002, 07:36 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Wink

I know what you mean, some people who would like to make something, or see exactly how it works, against others that would rather have all the worry taken away and have a fit and forget product.

I know which category I would fall into! Well I'm off to make my own link with an old casio calculator I've got lying about, then I think I'll craft an induction kit out of some old flexi hose and a pan scrubber, but thats after fitting my straight through system I've created out of old tin cans!

LOL Sorry I'll get my coat!
Old 04 February 2002, 07:50 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

You've taken that too far

Old 04 February 2002, 07:53 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

He he he !!! Just gettin me own back on bandwagon jumpers!
Old 04 February 2002, 07:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

How about a bandwagon with a VF22, 2.5L block, nitrous and a straight through exhaust made of tin cans welded end to end controlled by a £15 "ECU" built by me?

Seriously Jamie, I don't think you will see any less demand for Dawes. It is a good package at a good price.
Old 04 February 2002, 07:58 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thank you, I hope so but it's all part of the fun!
Old 05 February 2002, 08:03 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Jamie, if your referring to me as jumping on 'Your Bandwagon', I think you will find I was on the Dawes Wagon alot earlier.
Infact I think I possibley posted the 1st install instructions on the BBS and certainly had my Dawes before the origional Group Buy.

I think the only people on the BBS that had a Dawes before myself were Luke and his mate.....

If I had been part of a company such as yours, instead of a private individual, then these things would be 4 Sale in the UK already.

I dunno you try a do a few people a favour, and get shot down in flames.... seems to happen all to often on this BBS.

END OF MESSAGE, END OF TOPIC
Old 05 February 2002, 03:45 PM
Luke
BANNED

SCott

What happend there?????

Sure I will stand by you and say that you and Gavin did get the ball rolling on the Dawes Device thing.
I hope you dont think I was out of order with my initial post. I know it sounded maybe I was .I was just expressing my opinion.

I thought this thread had chilled abit. In many ways we all owe a lot to people like you and "Dab Hand Banks"!!

Luke
Old 05 February 2002, 03:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Please do it Scott, but also consider something a bit better as I suggested?
Old 05 February 2002, 04:21 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes - Im sorry i was just having a little joke! You yourself said you were jumping on it - not me!

I think it's great that there are people out there like you, as I for one would have been stuck without the help from John and Luke.

Thanks guys!
Old 05 February 2002, 04:25 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

I'VE CHILLED......

The Parts to build an MBC are only available or worth buying in large quantities due to minimum order quantities and courier charges.

Therefore as I have had little posititve response I am withdrawing my offer to source the parts (or possible manufacture of the MBC).

If you want to know where to get them drop me a mail, but as mentioned the current supplier has minimum order qauntities and high courier costs.

Alternativly use the RS Vacuum Valve as used by 'Cossie Convert' which is a very similar device (RS Components Stock No. 398-4192 then bond a plastic hose attachment to either end (available in Halfords).... Cost for all Approx £10....

Oh...don't forget the 1.5mm hole at the actuator end of the valve....

Jamie, may be worth u manufacturing some as opossed to sourcing from Dawes....I'm sure JB will offer to test them for u.

P.S My development unit consisted of a Brass pressure releif valve (A Grainger valve, but not from www.grainger.com) with 2 Brass Hose Barbs fitted either end (cut from a 1/4 NPT fitting).
It was not possible to thread these due to their dimensions. So used an interference fit backed up with a suitable bonding adhesive.
It Works exactly as my Dawes did before I fitted it to a mates Volvo T4.

[Edited by Scott.T - 2/5/2002 4:34:39 PM]
Old 02 April 2002, 07:29 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Due to the massive interest in the valve type Mechanical Boost controllers. And due to the fact that all the devices that have been made or advertised on the net are just basic pneumatic air line valves, I decided to jump on the band wagon and build my one. With hope that I may be able to pass a few on to fellow 'Boost' mined enthuisiasts.

The Design uses the same basic valve as the other MBC's currently on the market.

My build (currently half way through this):

Take the basic Vacuum and pressure relief valve, drilled and tapped either end to accept an M6 thread.
Using the brass hose barb from a 1/4 NPT fitting, cut the Barb from the NPT fitting anbd run an M6 die down 2 of these.
Fit both of the above to either end of the Valve.

The final stage will be to drill a 1.5mm hole in the Actuator end of the Valve, to act as a bleed (aka John Banks).

I should be able to supply these ready made for under £25 inc P&P and 150mm of Vacuum hose.
Or
If you prefer parts only, which will require the required tapping and drilling for approx £15.

As mentioned above it is intended that these items are provided to the enthuisiast and are being provided by me as a fellow enthusiast, knocking them up in me garage.

A Web-site will soon materialise giving further details and fitting instructions (hopefully for all MY's).

P.S I might even start banging out some AFR's (similar to my own AFR but with 5 instead of 10 LED's)

[Edited by Scott.T - 2/4/2002 8:29:56 AM]
Old 02 April 2002, 10:55 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Sounds great, but the other devices are made by a known company, but Id like some details though.

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 2/4/2002 11:56:56 AM]
Old 02 April 2002, 11:30 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

So do Farts!!!!!

Scott ,No worries, just as you said "Timing"..

Anyway... wheres your banner add ???????!!!

[Edited by Luke - 2/4/2002 12:30:45 PM]
Old 02 April 2002, 11:42 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

A Grainger Valve is only called that, because it is a Valve that is bought from a company caled 'Grainger'. These are also available from other sources. The Grainger valve is made by another company anyway.

It is just a basic Vaccuum pressure relief valve that is used in Standard Air Pneumatic applications...such a air compressors, air guns etc...etc...

The only part that could be patented by Dawes (if it is) are the fitting to the Valve....

[Edited by Scott.T - 2/4/2002 12:48:59 PM]
Old 02 April 2002, 12:46 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Basically I've bought 1 Valve and enough 1/4 NPT Hose barbs to manufacture another 4 MBC's (due to minimum order quantities).

If people want me to build them one for £25 including Vacuum hose then I will, or I can supply the parts required which will require some machining etc...etc... for £15.

Either way it's saving you guy's some pennies.

If no one is interested or I'm seem to be stepping on some toes, then fine... at the end of the day the cost of the parts hasn't cost me as much as a Dawes (plus it's a neater design and rated to 20psi)......

[Edited by Scott.T - 2/4/2002 1:50:47 PM]