Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

No drive from Auto box after 2.5 convertion :(

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2008, 06:35 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No drive from Auto box after 2.5 convertion :(

Just finished a 2.5 convertion on my Legacy twin turbo but after the exhilaration of it starting up for the first time we found that we had no drive from the auto box

Its obviously torque convertor related (i didn't line it up properly) and I've been told that I've probably knackered the gearbox but before I turn suicidal at the thought of pulling it all apart again I was hoping someone can shed some light on why its done so much damage and if theres a simpler solution.

Also if it needs a new box are they pretty much interchangable? Theres plenty of them around for Imprezas, legacys and foresters but not found my exact model yet. (BH5 99-03 GT-B). Could I get away with Impreza/Forrester of the same year?
Old 01 June 2008, 10:16 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 02 June 2008, 05:59 PM
nez-wrx
Scooby Regular

convert to manual if you can drive them
Old 03 June 2008, 03:29 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

I still can't find any sign of damage.

I retracted and removed the inner shaft. All OK.

I retracted and removed the outer sleave. All OK

No sign of damage when I look down the gap where the sleave sits and I can see the two notches on the oil pump and they too seem ok.

I've re-seated the torque converter and it sits pretty flush.

So do I re-install the engine?

Old 05 June 2008, 10:26 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Danny Boy ! Sorry couldn't resist that.

What I suspect has happened is that the torque converter was not engaged on the oil pump drive [ the two slots that you can see down into the pump ] In which case you will probably have squashed the inner oil pump gear into the oil pump case and maybe broken the gear. You will be very lucky if you get away with that.

What happens is that the tangs on the torque converter push the gear back as the bell housing is tightened and lock the pump up solid.

Try re-fitting the torque converter into the pump. Stick it onto the shaft in any position then rotate the torque whilst pushing backwards. You shouild feel it click/drop into the pump. That is then properly engaged.

Make sure you keep it in that rearwards position at all times, until the engine is reconnected, then it can come forward very slightly as you do up the torque converter to flex plate bolts.

If you are very unlucky you will have mullered the pump and filled the box with metallic swarf as the two parts of the pump / torque ground into each other. Lets hope not.

Good Luck, David APi
Old 05 June 2008, 08:34 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Well picked up some new seals and o rings today, refitted the torque converter and it seated perfectly. Gave it a spin and every thing felt good so I went ahead and refitted the engine. I'm getting good at this now as I had the engine in and running in under 2hrs but sadly there was still no drive

So I'm either gonna find another auto box or go for a manual conversion. I'll be on the phone to ya tomorrow Dave to see what you've got.

Transmission code is TV1A4YBAAA - WE if it helps.
Old 06 June 2008, 09:31 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyBoyTurbo
Well picked up some new seals and o rings today, refitted the torque converter and it seated perfectly. Gave it a spin and every thing felt good so I went ahead and refitted the engine. I'm getting good at this now as I had the engine in and running in under 2hrs but sadly there was still no drive

So I'm either gonna find another auto box or go for a manual conversion. I'll be on the phone to ya tomorrow Dave to see what you've got.

Transmission code is TV1A4YBAAA - WE if it helps.
Danny, Fortunately for you that is the commonest type of Auto box. the bad news is that I don't have one.

Good Luck I can of course help with a manual conversion as we have all the parts.

Kind regards David
Old 06 June 2008, 03:31 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks anyway Dave