Cambelt

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2008, 01:28 AM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Cambelt

Hi,

Just bought a 2001 WRX with 69k on the clock...

it has service history upto (what appears to be) 47k but then no stamps after that...?

It seems to run fine and I LOVE it (only had it a week)...its had new discs n pads, new tyres on front and got 12month MOT n 10 month tax...so, I am extremely content BUT....

what about the cambelt?

I am not sure if it has had it done....I mean...maybe it was done and not stamped cos it was at a non-scooby dealer?

Is there any way that I can just look and know if it has been changed? ( just tryin to avoid having cambelt service. Obviously, it is extremely important to have the Cambelt done AND I will if it needs it...but I would love to save the cash!

Anyone help?
Old 18 May 2008, 01:32 AM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Oh...and does anyone know about an Imbobiliser Certificate?
Got a tracker fitted for Directline insurance and they want a certificate for the imobiliser aswell?
I told the woman it was a factory fitted catcham one but she was avin none of it and reckons I gotta get hold of a certificate from Subaru?
Old 19 May 2008, 09:05 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

If you're not sure it has been done then you need to get it changed asap. Scoobyclinic will fit an uprated belt for £190+vat. No way to tell if it has been changed apart from possibly damage to radiator fins as it is hard to do the job without catching them. Don't rely on this, I'd guess as the service history is slap dash it hasn't been done.

Never seen a cert for immobiliser. This is standard on all modern cars including yours so whoever you talked to is clueless. Phone them again and with luck you'll get someone that knows better.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:47 AM
Tris-seriesmcrae
Scooby Regular

I am going to do my cambelt tonight, is there an online guide? i just need to know where to look for the timing marks........
Old 19 May 2008, 12:18 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tris-seriesmcrae
I am going to do my cambelt tonight, is there an online guide? i just need to know where to look for the timing marks........
If you've bought the genuine belt then the timing marks will be on the belt which will line up with the notches on the pulleys. Line the pulleys up with each other before you remove the old one and expect the RHS cam to spin around as soon as the belt is removed. Easier with two people to put it back on to hold that RHS cam in place!

It's an easy enough job, drain the rad first and remove it, you will find it very difficult to remove the pulley bolt with it in place and probably won't have a socket shallow enough to get it between the pulley and the rad.
Long length of angle iron with two bolts in it helped hold the pulley in place while undoing the bolt, no need for the special tool!
Old 19 May 2008, 12:36 PM
Tris-seriesmcrae
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, i got the belt from api so i guess it is original!
Old 19 May 2008, 11:07 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks D1CCY...I figured that would be the conclusion...I had better book it in....I suppose that 200 quid aint bad considering its 6o for the cambelt!
I'm only an hour from ScoobyClinic!

My Scoob has a full MOT...

would you say that I should get anything else done whilst its in the Clinic?
Maintenance wise!)
Old 20 May 2008, 09:41 AM
Tris-seriesmcrae
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedydaveb
If you've bought the genuine belt then the timing marks will be on the belt which will line up with the notches on the pulleys. Line the pulleys up with each other before you remove the old one and expect the RHS cam to spin around as soon as the belt is removed. Easier with two people to put it back on to hold that RHS cam in place!

It's an easy enough job, drain the rad first and remove it, you will find it very difficult to remove the pulley bolt with it in place and probably won't have a socket shallow enough to get it between the pulley and the rad.
Long length of angle iron with two bolts in it helped hold the pulley in place while undoing the bolt, no need for the special tool!
Well that was a mission! as soon as you get them all in place then try to tension the whole lot then......ping! the whole lot comes loose!

After about 5 attempts we got there!
Old 20 May 2008, 09:48 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Smiley,

With that mileage and patchy service record it really needs a major service. This is all the fluids, filters and spark plugs and not cheap. Sorry probably not what you want to hear but best for peace of mind. Have a chat with Scoobyclinic, they're very helpful.
Old 20 May 2008, 11:04 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tris-seriesmcrae
You may also find this useful:
JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Nick
Old 20 May 2008, 02:24 PM
Tris-seriesmcrae
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate, it tells me i did do it correctly!
Old 20 May 2008, 10:16 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks D1CCY....I'd rather spend money now and drive around in a sweet car than end up with a ****ter! LOL!
Just gotta explain to the g/f why I want to spend more money on it! LOL!

I had a look on Scoobyclinic site and I am gonna book it in for the cambelt service (£320 inc VAT), they change the cambelt on the engine oil...and they inspect everything else! I will take it from there and keep my fingers crossed!!!!

Considering that the cambelt change on its own is £217 (inc vat) then £100 more for an oil change and inspection ain't bad! Is it?
Old 20 May 2008, 10:47 PM
*pslewis*
Scooby Regular

£100 more for an Oil Change and Inspection isn't bad if you cannot do these yourself. An Oil change costs me about £20 and I can look around at everything else for free, of course.

An uprated Cambelt is mentioned above ..... I would love to know how it is uprated - does it last longer and would you trust it to? If that is the only benefit, I wouldn't bother paying the extra.
Old 02 June 2008, 12:36 AM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Cambelt and oil change done by Scoobyclinic....sweet