MY00 poor RR result - what's wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2002, 08:02 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Yesterdays RR day at Star seemed to be good for everyone - apart from me

Reason - MY00 with Scorpion d/p, Janspeed centre and Magnex b/b, plus ITG panel filter and Denso Iridium plugs = 213 bhp @ 5990 rpm and 206 lb/ft @ 3450rpm. Boost etc seemed okay - 0.9 bar peak 0.9 bar held.

Pants

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and any constructive advice on how I can correct it or find out whats wrong?

The only thing that I can think might be linked to this poor performance is that occasionally my car will feel as if the acceleration has be "turned down" when I get into fourth or fifth gear - according to the boost gauge it's still holding 1 bar, but nowhere near as much kick as previously

I have a LINK ECU that has not been fitted - after yesterday I've decided to keep it and I'm going to get mapped for my car, so hopefully this will cure the problem, but I'd like to be confident that there is nothing actually *wrong* with the car before getting it mapped - which might just hide the problem rather than solve it?

Could it just be that the standard ECU is unable to cope with the readings due to the full decat and is retarding or not fuelling properly in the higher gears? If this was the case then surely it would show up on other MY00s as well? Another MY00 with standard exhaust and Dawes got something like 240bhp/244 lb/ft on the same day...

Or is something else potentially wrong with the car?

Any help/suggestions much appreciated
Old 21 January 2002, 08:50 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

the number of crap MY00's must now be treble the good ones

see some earlier Star results on www.scoobymods.co.uk/SRollingRoad01.htm ,my car gained 16bhp @ flywheel that day because I asked the car to be revved to 6500,the power @ wheels never changed and the torque was only a few away from the first run a few months earlier.

I set my Dawes up on the car you mention above and can report that it transformed it.the owner has had about 8 UK scoobs,all standard.this was his first MY00 and found it sh1te pre-Dawes.the only problem is,now he whats to keep my Dawes ,as he has no boost gauge(fitted my gauge to his car to fit Dawes),I'll leave it with him and he can get me a new one .

can only speak from my own experiences and the Dawes helped my car and his.some people are getting results from MY99 ECU's but as you have a Link you are in a better position than most .
Old 22 January 2002, 11:18 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I noticed you have a Scorpion DP. This is a very restrictive DP in the same way as the original as it blocks off the wastegate output, I imagine you would get quite a difference by changing the DP.............
Old 22 January 2002, 11:49 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

This always makes me laugh.

Were you happy with your car ebfore you went to the rolling road?

So because someone gave you a piece of paper with a number on it you are dissapointed in your car which previously did you proud.

I understand why it gets you down, but try to ignore it. Rolling orads are inherently rubbish. There are too many factors affecting their readings. Only true test is a bench dyno with certified accuracy.
Old 22 January 2002, 11:56 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well said that man. I thought they were crap before I went on one. I still think they are crap. Nuff said.
Old 22 January 2002, 11:57 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Completely agree! look at the rolling road figures given at Power Engineering on the Dyno site. No UK car there (mine included) has ever got less than 230BHP. The reason I took it there? Well I thought it felt a little slow so I wanted to see if it was giving the power it should do (especially after all this talk of MY00's being underpowered). I get a piece of paper saying 230BHP and suddenly I am happy. It's all psychological, if I had done the reading for you and told you 240BHP you would have been well happy.
Old 22 January 2002, 12:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

My "257bhp" car at Star would whip the *** of a 257bhp car at PE I guarantee. It pulls away from a P1 on the road.
Old 22 January 2002, 12:18 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

the car Chris mentioned above,that got better results was standard(still had both cats),the Dawes was set out on the road two weeks earlier to 16psi and showed 1.05 bar on the r/r.

Chris,is there any chance of you posting your print out?
Old 22 January 2002, 12:27 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

should have said I agree with you all,rolling road's are only good for on the day comparisons,nothing else.my car felt crap,took it to a rolling road day,compared it with other MY00's and was happy(all but one were within a few bhp/lbf of mine.
Old 22 January 2002, 01:20 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Hi T-uk,

Have a MY00 with catless exhaust, no other Mods.... P.E had it at 243Bhp and 239lb/ft. Whatever the figure to me the car is fine and goes really well.

One point made does seem to be true, if I drive it sedately at the same speed for a long distance the car does start to get less responsive. After a quick thrash touching high revs (6000rpm+)all is resolved.

Why? I don't know , I just know what to do now

J
Edited cos my spelling has got less responsive

[Edited by ScoobySnack - 1/22/2002 1:21:21 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 01:46 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Its a miracle, lots of people agreeing with me!
Old 22 January 2002, 01:57 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I started getting really pissed off with my MY00 after going to PS and getting 208 BHP and 239 BHP at PE. Different level of mods.

It was confirmed my car was running like crap when sideways flew past me, and the cars used to be the same in speed and acceleration.

The trip to PS did confirm my fears that the car wasn't running right!

Changing the ECU worked for me, and the car is still pulling like and express train, and not a 208BHP milk float!!! Can't explain it, but am very happy now

Cheers Phill C

PS Try a MY99 ECU

[Edited by babber - 1/22/2002 1:59:26 PM]

[Edited by babber - 1/22/2002 2:04:42 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 02:07 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

J,

Isn't that something to do with emissions?

I seem to recall that certainly if you stay around 4k revs in second for a while the ECU reduces the responsiveness as it thinks its having an emissions check, or something like that? Is it the same in all gears? As the MY00 is different to the MY99 in respect of better emissions it might be something to do with it??

Or I could be waffling and guessing
Old 22 January 2002, 02:12 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Yeah - most of this makes a lot of sense. I was pretty happy with the car before the RR day, and just because I now have that piece of paper doesn't mean to say it has suddenly become crap.

Too many variables for me rely on one RR run as a definitive indicator of a problem - I think I'll find a fellow MY00 owner and do some testing (on my private test track of course ) to see if there is any "on road" difference - which after all is where it counts...

And hopefully once I've got the Link fitted this will all be a fond memory anyway
Old 22 January 2002, 02:34 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Surely the ECU can work out if the engine is on load or not (l.e. having an emissions test or going down the motorway at 4k which is about 100 MPH)

Cheers Phill C
Old 25 January 2002, 12:58 AM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Have a look at which ecu you have in your car - it's under the passenger footwell kickplate.

I have seen 3 versions of 99/00 ecu, and have tried them all in my car.

I have an early 99MY which came with an ae800 ecu (black label). This ecu make the car go like stink.
Later ecu versions are the ae801 (brown), and ae802 (green).

The ae802 lasted about 3 hours in my car. It was total pants - it couldn't control boost accurately on my modded car, and also felt dead slow in comparison to my original.

I haven't dyno tested the 3 ecus yet on the same car, but I will in about 5 weeks time. These ecus have different fuel and ignition maps among other things. The latest has more retard and even more fuel - great :-(

btw, if anyone's seen any other versions, please let me know.

Cheers

Steve
Old 25 January 2002, 08:05 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

T-uk
the number of crap MY00's must now be treble the good ones
Then I'm happy that I'm lucky I got one of the good ones

JoeyDeacon
Completely agree! look at the rolling road figures given at Power Engineering on the Dyno site. No UK car there (mine included) has ever got less than 230BHP
Not true m8 The 1st time I ran there, I got 222bhp (PPP BB only mod) and a completely standard car got 214bhp - which is spot on. This was in September and last weekend (it was bloody cold!) I got 229 which also seems about right. Never say never

Adam,
Its a miracle, lots of people agreeing with me!
Isn't it just!!! Gotta be a first

Matt
Old 25 January 2002, 09:52 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Hi StephenDone,

Defineitely interested to here what your results of the ECU test will be. Could a Prodrive ECU (Aka PPP) be tested aswell? If there's any thing I can do (probably not much)just shout.

Will be checking my footwell as soon as I get home to see what I have in my MY00.

In the near future I'd like to get hold of a PPP ECU or possibly P.E's new data download ECU.

Thanks

J
Old 25 January 2002, 10:13 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

glad you are happy Matt,is that your first scoob?,most happy MY00 owners are on their first one.what sort of figures were the earlier cars doing at the rolling road days you have taken part in?

there is a happy MY00 owner up here,he has the same mods as me but about 15bhp more at the wheels,than me,or any of the other MY00's,he was similar to the R&S regs,so there is the odd good one.before anyone starts saying it will loosen off with miles,I know it will but I have driven loads with high and low miles but some of the best cars I have driven were R and S regs with less miles than my current car .I think I need a "black label" ECU like Steve ,this is great info on our ECU's,perhaps we need a thread with MY00 ECU label colours to hear if all the crap ones have greens,I will pull back my carpet and post the label colour over the weekend.

The_Gza,

you had yours out at Star ,what colour was it?.

Old 25 January 2002, 10:18 AM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi ScoobySnack,

btw, I think we met at a meet near Crowthorne, in that pub with the massive car park.

>Could a Prodrive ECU (Aka PPP) be tested aswell?
>If there's any thing I can do (probably not much)just shout.
>
I have tested one of these. Different maps again. Higher boost and less overshoot. Code version is sort of ae801 and a half.

>In the near future I'd like to get hold of a PPP ECU or
>
I can let you try the various ecus if you like.
I'm Maidenhead, very near MOP.

>possibly P.E's new data download ECU.
>
Ah, you were at the rolling road meet. I wanted to make it but was snowboarding. Oh well, you have to make sacrifices sometimes ;-)

Cheers

Steve
Old 25 January 2002, 10:19 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Think mine was a green label. Now it is a pink one (PPP)

Now I think of it the PPP does seem quite good - nice ECU which gives you good power and torque without silly boost, intercooler pipework and some pretty nice exhaust components if you like it quiet, along with good resale and a 19-20PSI cutout and a safe map up there which allows you to play. But you shouldn't have to pay to get a good ECU on MY00.

Maybe the PPP ECU is like the earlier MY99 ones.

Certainly any unmodded MY99/00 would feel a bit dog slow to me now so I don't know if I can honestly remember how crap my MY00 was unmodded. It felt OK at the time and did not feel slower than earlier models I had tried, but I didn't have the variety of drives that T-uk had.

Certainly an RB5 I went in seemed pretty quick for a std ECU - maybe that was like a MY99.

[Edited by john banks - 1/25/2002 10:20:28 AM]
Old 25 January 2002, 10:47 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

I think RB5's are 99 on the T,so they should be good
Old 25 January 2002, 12:01 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Sent you a quick email from my work. Actually in MOP as we speak..

J
Old 25 January 2002, 12:18 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Chaps - not 100% sure - I'll double check tonight, but I think mine was a green label as well

I'm hoping that the Link ECU, plus a service and a couple of other checks (plug type and correct gap/ECU reset/check and clean hoses around the wastegate/actuator etc) will help solve the problem.
Old 25 January 2002, 01:31 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chaps,

I have driven a variety of Scoobs (Standard UK97, UK98, UK99, RB5WR(99), standard UK00, standard and modded WRX98, standard and modded STi, standard and modded STi RA00, WRX 01, WRX01+PPP and UK300+PPP+other bits ( )) so have a good idea of how the differing cars perform. I have to say that my MY00 performs just as I would expect it to so am in no doubt that it is a "good" MY00.

It would be interesting to drive Babber's MY00 with the old ECU so I could get an idea of how bad this problem is and I have to say I feel sorry for the owners of "crap" MY00's with probs....!!!!!

I will attempt over the weekend to see which ECU I've got.

Matt
Old 25 January 2002, 02:02 PM
Subzero
Scooby Regular

I have changed from the AE802 to an AE801, there is an improvement but it is an unproven gain until I can get it on the rollers. It's an interesting thought about the AE800 though, I'll see if the dealer has any of these to try…

Floyd
Old 25 January 2002, 02:34 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I have the green ae802 on my MY00. I just had a look. The funny thing is that when my friend, (who is a scoob tuner in OZ and has done heaps and heaps of tuning on all the models there), came here to Greece to trick mine up a bit, he drove mine before he did any thing to it and he said that my scoob felt quicker as standard than any of the standard scoobs he had driven in Australia.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 25 January 2002, 04:27 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

just been out and looked at the ECU,I have the green label with Y7 and AE802.knew without looking that it would be that one.

useless bucket of sh1te that it is.
Old 25 January 2002, 04:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Maybe a Prodrive ECU would suit you sir? The classic one
Old 25 January 2002, 04:35 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

you would be far better playing with a Link Dr Banks,if you want to sell then I want to buy

Quick Reply: MY00 poor RR result - what's wrong??