Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

CLUELESS TO THE CAUSE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2007, 11:15 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLUELESS TO THE CAUSE!!!!!

i have a 96 sti. it is in very good condition for its age. it has a turbo timer, and an intermittent ignition problem.
sometimes i get in turn the key and the engine fires, on other occasions the engine turns but won't start there is loads of life in the battery. i thought it was the turbo timer interfering with the ignition sequence, so i turned it of and the problem went away. after about 4 or 5 care free starts. the problem was back, with the turbo timer off. i tried and tried to start the car, it wouldn't start. a light came up on the display it looked like a rectangle with a line coming out of each side with steam coming from the top. i turned the turbo timer back on illuminated the dash turned it off let the turbo timer time out and then turned it off and the car started. i could do with some guidance or it will have to be a trip to the local garage.
Old 31 August 2007, 08:43 AM
Scooby Senior

The light is the cat on fire symbol.

Do you have any CEL light appearing?

It does sound like a coolant temp sensor problem to me.

If you follow the top rad hose back to the engine, it goes into what is called the water cross pipe. there are 2 sensors in it one wire and two (has a plug) it's the one with 2 wires that is the coolant temp sensor for the ECU

Adam
Old 31 August 2007, 09:36 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default thanks for the info Adam

it is some sort of coolant issue. it hardly happens when the engine is cold. only when warm or hot. i eliminated the turbo timer for being at fault when it happened when the timer was off for a day. i'll get on it first thing in the morning. thanks again Adam i appreciate your advice