Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Output shafts from gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2007, 04:27 PM
Spyder550
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Output shafts from gearbox

Have the style of output shafts for the front wheels changed in the lastest WRX's
The boxes used to have two short splined spigots to plug the driveshafts onto, this one on ebay looks like you plug the driveshafts into the box now, or is it a damaged box?
Old 27 June 2007, 04:51 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Asked this myself just the other day, and yes the later boxes have splined sockets rather than stubs, the splined stub is part of the drive shaft so you would need them ideally, otherwise you need a splined stub to fit into the box and then into your socketed driveshaft.
Led to believe these can be found on auto boxes?
Old 28 June 2007, 02:42 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After 2005 the front of any Impreza turbo uses one piece driveshafts that go straight into the front diff. before you used to knock a roll pin out and leave a small ' stump shaft ' sticking out of the front diff.

You can still do that on the 05 on boxes by just fitting the early type driveshaft oil seals to the gearbox case and getting a pair of stump shafts. That way you can reuse the original driveshafts

The stump shafts are something we have in from Japan from time to time and can sometimes offer them. Price will depend upon what sort day I am having........

David APi
Old 28 June 2007, 05:56 PM
CYP_ROCK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
After 2005 the front of any Impreza turbo uses one piece driveshafts that go straight into the front diff. before you used to knock a roll pin out and leave a small ' stump shaft ' sticking out of the front diff.

You can still do that on the 05 on boxes by just fitting the early type driveshaft oil seals to the gearbox case and getting a pair of stump shafts. That way you can reuse the original driveshafts

The stump shafts are something we have in from Japan from time to time and can sometimes offer them. Price will depend upon what sort day I am having........

David APi
HI David
Hope your having a good day
I have bought this box to fit to my02 sti so if i cant get the front drive
shafts with the box, i will be looking for a price for the stump shafts.

JAC
Old 28 June 2007, 06:11 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

I'm not certain that the driveshafts will be the end of it either, as I believe that the inner diameter of the front wheel bearing is smaller than before [ it's a bigger bearing ] therefore the bearing locating parts of the shaft could be smaller dia. than you have.

It might actually be the hub that I am talking about rather than the shaft itself, l'll need to check with Rob our transmission guy here, in the morning for you.

I have stumps at the moment and yes I've had a good day.

Nicked a couple of jobs off a competitor by good chance. Competition, that's what I like, anyone can discount their way into a job, but there's no profit in that in the long run. Value and service, that does it.

Call me if I can help anytime.

David
Old 28 June 2007, 08:14 PM
CYP_ROCK
Scooby Regular

I'm not certain that the driveshafts will be the end of it either, as I believe that the inner diameter of the front wheel bearing is smaller than before [ it's a bigger bearing ] therefore the bearing locating parts of the shaft could be smaller dia. than you have.

It might actually be the hub that I am talking about rather than the shaft itself, l'll need to check with Rob our transmission guy here, in the morning for you.

I have stumps at the moment and yes I've had a good day.

Nicked a couple of jobs off a competitor by good chance. Competition, that's what I like, anyone can discount their way into a job, but there's no profit in that in the long run. Value and service, that does it.

Call me if I can help anytime.

David

Thanks David

I will give you a call as am going to need all the help i can get
on this one

JAC
Old 29 June 2007, 03:42 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Be interested to know what you find out David as im going to be fitting a 6 speed box as described above into a V5 Type R, i have the drive shafts for the 6 speed and need to know wether the hub ends of the shafts are going to be compatible or not with the V5 hubs.
If not im led to believe i can use my V5 shafts with the cv joint of the gearbox end of the 6 speed shafts? Hope that makes sense.

Cheers, john
Old 29 June 2007, 04:08 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Triple X
Be interested to know what you find out David as im going to be fitting a 6 speed box as described above into a V5 Type R, i have the drive shafts for the 6 speed and need to know wether the hub ends of the shafts are going to be compatible or not with the V5 hubs.
If not im led to believe i can use my V5 shafts with the cv joint of the gearbox end of the 6 speed shafts? Hope that makes sense.

Cheers, john
John, It's only the later-than-2005MY 6 speeds that this problem applies to. If the box has stump shafts then it goes straight into anything using just the box, prop shaft and selector linkage [ make sure that the rear diff is compatible of course ]

If it is a 2005MY - on 6 speed then you will need a pair of side driveshaft seals for the earlier 6 speed and a pair of stump shafts. Then ditto above.

No drama really. BUT call me if you need .

David APi
Old 29 June 2007, 04:26 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

It is later than MY05 so the gearbox has the splined sockets, so as you say i will need the oil seals and stubs from yourself.
However does that definately mean the 6 speed shafts wont be compatible with my V5 hubs?

Cheers so far!
Old 29 June 2007, 04:55 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Talk about customer service we've just done a measure up and NO the late 6 speed shafts won't fit.

They are too long by something like 15 mm.

AND THEN

There is no oil / grease seal surface on the inner end of the outer joint where the shaft goes through the wheel bearing. The wheel bearings on that age car are rather bigger than all those before and the whole hub arrangement is different.

Without taking a set apart, we are reasonably certain that you will not be able to separate the inner CV from the 06 drive shaft and use it in the V5 shafts. Thus using the later inner and V5 shaft & outer. Opinion is that the splines are not compatible. However, if someone knows for sure the we could be corrected on that.

The first two problem are sufficient to make it a non goer.

SO, buy stump shafts and seals and use your original shafts. Job done.

David APi
Old 29 June 2007, 05:19 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the time you've spent loooking into it David, sounds like you were curious yourself as to what could be done too?!
Old 29 June 2007, 05:44 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Without taking a set apart, we are reasonably certain that you will not be able to separate the inner CV from the 06 drive shaft and use it in the V5 shafts. Thus using the later inner and V5 shaft & outer. Opinion is that the splines are not compatible. However, if someone knows for sure the we could be corrected on that.

David APi
Yes it can be done. - I've 'mated' the late inner CV's to V5/6 Sti shafts, and am currently running it in a MY00

However, i think that the stub conversion is a better idea, as you can experience problems with the inner CV circlip, when trying to remove the shaft from the late boxes.

Last edited by FB Tuning; 29 June 2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03 July 2007, 12:31 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Triple X
Thanks for the time you've spent loooking into it David, sounds like you were curious yourself as to what could be done too?!

To obtain ' guru ' status on here you need to know everything about everything.

So this weekend l have been researching the Palestinian/ Israeli problem.

I think I have the answer and when George Dubya comes on, I am ready for him....

Looks like Fiestaboy has the other answer we were seeking anyway.

Good luck all David APi